PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one

Options

Comments

• Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 15,197 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Love my kitchen radio :) Archers omnibus on sunday whilst prepping some veg is a real pleasure and yes of course a good catawaul to some 80s station

Decided on a homemade cheese burger and coleslaw for dinner ..now whether to do some wedges as well
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Nelski wrote: »
    Love my kitchen radio :) Archers omnibus on sunday whilst prepping some veg is a real pleasure and yes of course a good catawaul to some 80s station

Decided on a homemade cheese burger and coleslaw for dinner ..now whether to do some wedges as well
    You've got to have wedges and/or onion rings - I'm sure there is law about it somewhere LOL :D
    Can't be a singalong to power ballad .........
  • dktreesea
    dktreesea Posts: 5,736 Forumite
    Options
    For people who like spicy, oriental food, (and have a big enough bowl, lol) I have found ramen quite easy to prepare and cook. The one I made last night had prawn dumplings (Delico brand, frozen , for the Netherlands. Chinese restaurant wholesalers should stock it if the local Chinese provisions shop don't carry it) and Japanese noodles. These tend to have quite a spicy soup mix, so if spices are not your thing, maybe use Chinese noodles instead).

So to make it, boil the dumplings for around 4 minutes, in half an inch more water than you need to cover them. Say around a dozen. Add the soup mix and vegetables, - we had bean sprouts, spring onions and lettuce. keep boiling for half a minute or so then add the noodles and some more water to taste. Try the soup while still on the hob to make sure it isn't too strong. Cook for another 4 minutes or so, or a bit less if you like the noodles "al dente". Then it's ready.

Ten minutes from go to woah, and a pretty substantial meal.
  • Tiddlywinks
    Tiddlywinks Posts: 5,777 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I've no radio in the kitchen, nowhere to put one sensibly either.

Mine's a battery one and sits on the windowsill.

Or, you could use 'no more nails' and stick a small shelf onto a wall or cupboard or stick a hook up and then hang the radio.

I've used it to put up corner shelves (didn't want to risk drilling as it's the corner with all the pipe work behind). I now have large glass jars with coffee beans on them and, touch wood, they've been up for over a year and are still going strong.

The shelves were £1.99 each from B&Q - plain pine whch I painted with antique white eggshell paint.

I learnt bodging from growing up in an all female house :D.
    That leaves one single worktop bit for "working at".

Another suggestion which works for me - a butcher's block/trolley.

It creates another work surface and there's storage underneath too. I've had a stainless steel top made for when I want to roll pastry. I park mine in front of the dishwasher and just roll it back when I need to. Could you park one in front of the single units to create some extra working space and storage?
    :hello:
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    dktreesea wrote: »
    Chinese restaurant wholesalers should stock it if the local Chinese provisions shop don't carry it)
    In most parts of the country there is no "local Chinese provisions..." at all. I've never been in one. Not aware of one. No doubt Google could find me one within 10 miles if I really, really went looking for it.... but it'd be in an awkward spot no doubt.

.... dumplings ... Say around a dozen.
    How many? Blimey - I'd want 3-4 at a guess.

I do a pack of instant noodles and half a tin of peas. Instant noodles, boiling water, microwave 2 minutes, stir/check, 1 minute more, lob in half a tin of peas, 1 minute.

Get a fork and toddle off to the sofa to eat that ... although a whole pack of noodles and half a tin of peas is usually "too much" really, so I only add the peas when I'm super hungry.
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    .... windowsill....
    That's where other stuff is, like the coffee/chocolate jars.
    'no more nails' and stick a small shelf onto a wall
    I've often wondered if that's any good....
    I've used it to put up corner shelves (didn't want to risk drilling as it's the corner with all the pipe work behind).
    Yeah, drilling's not good if you get it wrong. I've no drill either.
    I now have large glass jars with coffee beans on them and, touch wood, they've been up for over a year and are still going strong.

The shelves were £1.99 each from B&Q - plain pine whch I painted with antique white eggshell paint.

I learnt bodging from growing up in an all female house :D.
    I was in the bedroom and heard an almighty crash from the kitchen - dad'd put up a glass fronted cabinet and it'd fallen off the wall!

Dad was a proper bodge merchant.
    A butcher's block/trolley .... another work surface and there's storage underneath too. I've had a stainless steel top made for when I want to roll pastry. I park mine in front of the dishwasher and just roll it back when I need to. Could you park one in front of the single units to create some extra working space and storage?
    Anything in there would be in the way really. I have got a table, from Ikea - about £19 and the legs come off for easy moving/storage...

That's where the bread bin is - and where the mini oven lives when it's not being used. It's also where I "dish up" as I've no space to dish up. I've no interest in rolling out pastry, to be honest (no rolling pan and I've other "germs" issues about rolling out pastry on worktops etc)....

Just looked it up, it's £15 now. I bought it as it's flexible as I can move/carry it and so it's a "table for life, that can go in many places for many reasons over the years".

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/desks/table-tops-legs/linnmon-adils-table-white-spr-29932181/

The long-term plan is to have a round table with drop down leaves, in the kitchen - and some "semi built in" seating in the bay window (that's why the kitchen's odd, one entire wall is a bay window with a radiator, so no "wall" at all.
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    Today it's a jacket spud, I decided. With cheese.
    Not with beans because I CBA to open a tin of beans.
    :)
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    Willowx wrote: »
    crab paste 93% crab

Which one is it, the only one I know of that's that high is the John West Dressed Crab, which isn't paste.

I specifically drove ALL the way to Asda pre-Xmas to treat myself to a pot of the Asda Crab Pate - shelf was empty. I even went ALL the way back a couple of days later - again, shelf empty.

All these people that say that for shopping you need a list make me snort. Whenever I make a list, the shops are always sold out of the things on the list.

I've currently got Shippams paste.

Shippams: 79p for 75 grams, 70% crab (although I think I got it from Home Bargains for 39p/pot). I'd not pay 79p for a jar of paste. Mysupermarket says Waitrose has "2 for £1" at the moment (not that I go there as it's £2 to park)
    J West: 98p for 43 grams, 93% crab
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 15,197 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    For people who like spicy, oriental food, (and have a big enough bowl, lol) I have found ramen quite easy to prepare and cook. The one I made last night had prawn dumplings (Delico brand, frozen , for the Netherlands. Chinese restaurant wholesalers should stock it if the local Chinese provisions shop don't carry it) and Japanese noodles. These tend to have quite a spicy soup mix, so if spices are not your thing, maybe use Chinese noodles instead).

So to make it, boil the dumplings for around 4 minutes, in half an inch more water than you need to cover them. Say around a dozen. Add the soup mix and vegetables, - we had bean sprouts, spring onions and lettuce. keep boiling for half a minute or so then add the noodles and some more water to taste. Try the soup while still on the hob to make sure it isn't too strong. Cook for another 4 minutes or so, or a bit less if you like the noodles "al dente". Then it's ready.

Ten minutes from go to woah, and a pretty substantial meal.

Thanks that sounds delicious and you have inspired me to visit the chinese supermarket next time I am in Manchester or Liverpool they have such bargains there :D I can make a whole meal out of the chinese starters I love them so much in fact usually when I eat out in a chinese I am full by the time the main meal arrives after all the prawn toast, seaweed and hot and sour soup :o oh and then theres the crispy duck....I need a chinese hit soon :)
  • Tiddlywinks
    Tiddlywinks Posts: 5,777 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I've often wondered if that's any good....

No More Nails is a hero product for me. Over the years I've put up dado rails, repaired stuff, built stuff and put up shelves with it. Wouldn't be without it.
    I've other "germs" issues about rolling out pastry on worktops etc....

That's the very reason I got the stainless steel top - it's non-porous and can be scrubbed before and after each use so I can 'trust' that it's clean enough for rolling dough or pastry.
    :hello:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport