Which is best Condenser Boiler to buy?

Options

Comments

• lexie55_2
    lexie55_2 Posts: 775 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    You can still buy Glowworm, the Vaillant models are also badged up as Glowworm.
  • ema_o
    ema_o Posts: 885 Forumite
    Options
    c123 wrote: »
    I'm looking to buy a central heating system & been advised that a Worcester Condensor would be good and will cost £3K to install fully - terrace hse 3 beds + attic. Any thoughts re if this is a good deal or what the Worcester is like please?

We had Woucester combi boiler (I think it was slightly better than the cheapest one) installed, for all pipes and radiators in every room for £3k. We are in 3 bed semi and there was no gas in the property beforehand so it was to start from scratch plus remove old storage heaters and water tank.

We pay around £10 a month to Woucester for a service agreement - I think we pay it for 2 years and it covers us for 5 including one service per year. So far very happy with boiler
  • jonesjw
    jonesjw Posts: 201 Forumite
    Options
    Well it looks like Potterton are to be avoided considering the above feedback, so that's useful information for everyone. Shame on a British company if they have not introduced a permanent fix for their replacement circuit boards. Poor quality means your company goes bust eventually, as word gets around. Especially with the internet to accelerate communication.

Plumbingpages.com have quite a few posts on boilers, but you need to sift through them.
  • shellyc_2
    Options
    I am about to replace a Potterton which has lasted 18 years, so not bad going!
  • adjw
    Options
    I had a Ferroli Domi Compact 30 installed 15 months ago and over the cold snap the heat exchanger packed in, thus no central heating or hot water. Not a problem with 2 years guarantee I thought, so called them up, one week later an engineer turned up explaining he couldn't work on the boiler because the in stallation was poor - no Earthing bonding on the pipework (the pipework is plastic that feeds the radiators so not sure how this would help), the floor was unstable (this was because I had to rip it out as it was soaked through from the leaking boiler) but the temporary flooring was stable enough for my 85 year old grandad to safely walk on, and furthermore the service record on the book was out of date despite it being serviced (probably my fault, but where is the common sense and where is the customer service).

Since this incident, I have done a bit of research on Ferroli boilers and pretty much, every forum I have found give terrible reports to the Ferroli after service.

Do yourself a favour and steer clear of Ferroli. I have now had mine ripped out and replaced with a Main boiler. Time will tell how this one fairs.
  • roger196
    roger196 Posts: 610 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Look at the guarantee period on the heat exchanger. Condensing boilers which most people have to fit are particularly hard on this component( condensate is carbonic acid which will disolve cement or copper). Unless the manufacturer guarantees this for five years, you know his opinion on how long it will last.
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,654 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    RedOnRed wrote: »
    The best at reliably heating water.

Get a high efficiency SYSTEM boiler then..and ensure you have an immersion heater in your tank..;)
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • Alan_M_2
    Alan_M_2 Posts: 2,752 Forumite
    Options
    I've had this same conversation with a gas registered plumber friend of mine as I'm doing the kitchen this year and our existing boiler is over 15 years old and not that good.

He recommends a Worcester Greenstar Ri over everything else. Comes with a 10 manufacturers guarantee on the heat exchanger.
  • Canucklehead
    Options
    Good morning: Viessmann Vitodens 200 series, 5 years parts and labour, 10 year warranty on the stainless steel heat exchanger....but a boiler is only as good as the standard of the installation and annual servicing.;)

HTH

Canucklehead
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
  • heating-eng
    heating-eng Posts: 723 Forumite
    edited 1 April 2010 at 12:17AM
    Options
    i have a worcester in my house , its great
    X British Gas engineer and X BG sales adviser.
    Please don,t let this put you off.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport