Living richly; simply and debt-freely

Options

Comments

• joeyjimbles
    joeyjimbles Posts: 2,219 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm still quite enjoy Nige's new series. Some good ideas and some things that are genuinely new and interesting which is rare these days as so much seems to have been done to death.

Leftovers - well there's a subject. Two that infuriate me when suggested by cookery pundits are bread and cheese - surely that's tomorrow's lunch! I do appreciate ideas that might come in for using the remainder of something that was particularly bought for a recipe and perhaps not completely used up, but bread and cheese....goes off to mumble discontentedly.
    NF 05.24 £18.00/£00.00 £72.00/£72.00

LD 11.24 £500.00/£345.00 (69%)    INS 12.24 £600.00/£000.00
    Renewal 24 £400.00/£403.00      Renewal 25 £450.00/£070.00 (15%)    
    Avch 08.24 £100.00/£025.00       NPt 12.24 £250.00/£083.00
    FD £3600.00/£1200.00                 X24 £1500.00/£0600.00

• wishus
    wishus Posts: 1,192 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I have a Nigella-style way of dealing with leftovers... well, I did before Weight Watchers! :)
    Back in debt again, but for a good cause. £17K to go

April Grocery Challenge: £228.36/200

Decluttering 856/2024 Awards 🥇
    (22/04/24)
  • liltdiddylilt
    liltdiddylilt Posts: 4,117 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Sorry if there is anything lower than this that makes it inappropriate timing but you just made me snort tea all over the sofa Greying...

'How does he know what will be left over?!' :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Off to catch up some more. As always I am amazed by the variety and colour in your dinners. xx
    Virtual Pot #25 £0.00/£350.00
    A black belt only covers 2 inches of your a$$ - You have to cover the rest yourself - Royce Gracie
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Greying_Pilgrim Posts: 5,429 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good Evening :hello:
    Maybe leftover-type cook books are aimed at people who aren't already as adept at creatively using and storing any leftovers as you are, dear Greying! :kisses3:

Aw hun - I know that not everyone is obsessed with cooking as I am :rotfl:, but I don't think that a book about what to do with leftovers is necessarily the answer :(

*climbs up onto orange crate*

I think that the issue is about having the confidence to cook in the first place, having the building blocks of home economics to help you to buy, make, store and get the best value out of your food - whatever your budget - with minimal waste. And yes, whilst I don't think home ec should have been ditched from the school curriculum, there are other ways to learn things now.

The only things that I can thing of as 'leftovers' to convert into something else is, say for example, something that can be made into a 'rissole' - so pieces of meat or leftover shepherds pie or bits of fish say. What the 'celeb' chefs term as 'leftovers' is food to me - the building blocks of countless meals, not things that are regarded as a 'problem'.

Say I buy a chicken for £5. I want roast chicken on Sunday and I give DP a leg and some of the white meat and I have some of the white meat. I only bought the chicken with the intention of roasting it. I therefore, have 3/4 of a chicken remaining, that I do not know what to do with. Is the issue leftovers?

The alternative? I decide that this week I will buy a chicken. I think about what recipes I would want to make that involve chicken - I seek out the recipes, and make sure that the other ingredients that I will need are in stock/buy them that week. I buy my £5 chicken. I roast it on Sunday and we eat our fill. I take off the chunky meat and set it aside for the pot pie I'm going to make. I remove all the other meat and set it aside for the chicken tikka curry that we are going to have on Thursday. The carcass, picked clean, is popped on the stove in a saucepan (or in the SC) for a load of HM chicken stock. This is put in the freezer for when we need it for soup/risotto etc. My £5 chicken has contributed to at least 4 meals for us, and I have minimal waste - and no left overs.

Now, I know that the second version involves having knowledge, you've got to know recipes or techniques or know how to get hold of them. You've got to know approximately how large the chicken needs to be - can you afford it, etc etc. But those are skills that can be learnt. But you're starting with a different mindset. You are respecting the chicken as a source of food for your family and using it wisely. Buying 'too much' for what you need - a breast filet and a chicken leg would have sufficed if I only intended to use the chicken for 1 meal - is the issue, not the fact that there are leftovers.
    Two that infuriate me when suggested by cookery pundits are bread and cheese - surely that's tomorrow's lunch! I do appreciate ideas that might come in for using the remainder of something that was particularly bought for a recipe and perhaps not completely used up, but bread and cheese....goes off to mumble discontentedly.

^This. I cannot remember the last time we had 'leftover' bread. I always substitute oats for breadcrumbs in recipes, because I rarely have stale bread to make into breadcrumbs. Our HM bread is made in certain tins - which yield specific sized loaves - depending on what we are doing with it (picnic sangers being top of the list :j) and if I've bought sliced bread from the shop, I use what I want and freeze the rest. We always use the crusts - they are just another butty :D

I also fully realise that I've routinely only had to cook for 1 or 2 people in my life. I've done dinner parties in the past, but haven't for ages. This house isn't conducive :( I have no fussy eaters to cater for. I don't have to find a 'leftover' recipe for scrambled egg that was untouched - it's never occurred, so I don't know what I would do...... I do try to practice portion mindfulness. I bulk make my shepherd's pie - I always get 6 portions out of my tin. If I make stew/curry and there is a small portion leftover, it becomes a lunch the next day. If there is a large portion leftover, if gets frozen as stew or curry for another day. I don't have leftover risotto. I would rather keep 'spare' rice in it's dry state, so that I can make another risotto another day. i'm mindful of ingredient quantities per person as I make the dish - even if i'm winging the recipe - which I do a lot :o

So you see, I just can't get to grips with 'leftovers'. I appreciate I may be being really dense about the subject, but I can't see it as the 'problem'.

I didn't do Home Ec to O level. We had horrible HE teachers, with the only nice one always only teaching first years, but she was the sewing mistress too, so had a full curriculum. My mother never encouraged me to cook. She was always worried about it taking too long if she showed me how to do something, or that I would mess up ingredients - with the attendant cost implication, given that we hadn't much money and we lived in the country - no popping out for a replacement x at the drop of a hat.

I am most certainly the only veggie in my family. I really only started to cook when I was at Uni. but with the exception of learning how to layer a lasagne (oh, and make it, t'was such an 'exotic' food for me at the time!), you couldn't say that I did any 'proper' 3 course meals at uni. I've learnt as I've gone along in life, by reading, watching progs, asking other people and from the internet. My cooking is different from what it was 5 yrs ago - and as for 20 years ago :rotfl: Mind, you could afford buckwheat and Quinoa in those days, as no one had heard of them, and they were cheap as chips :(

The book that satchmo and upsidedown bear told us about has a very interesting *most recent* review. The reviewer terms the book 'good for the creative cook'. I think that hits the nail on the head. In order to use all your food wisely and avoid waste, you've got to have some idea of cooking basics and you've got to be creative. Where are the cooking basics TV progs/books?

*climbs down off orange crate, tucks everyone under a blanket and switches off the light, as I've probably bored y'all senseless*

Greying x
    Pounds for Panes £2,590/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (April) -  £8/£15  (Camping TTD - £60/90)

Grocery spend April £214.28/215
    Non-food household spend April £29.23/25
    Bulk Fund April 0/£10

Knitted items for charity 1/24 (inc. Blankets 1/6)
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Greying_Pilgrim Posts: 5,429 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    ......... but you just made me snort tea all over the sofa Greying...

Do I owe you anything for the dry-cleaning of the sofa? :o

Good to see ya lilty!

Greying x

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• joeyjimbles
    joeyjimbles Posts: 2,219 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I actually quite enjoy the challenge of what to do with the remaining chicken or minced beef or whatever, and see them as ingredients rather than leftovers. I usually cook them into a state (sauteed with onions, slow cooked, boiled, roasted) that means they can be frozen as cooked meat so they will come in again for a meal later in the week or the month if nothing strikes me immediately. I've also been known to purposely over-cater rice and mashed potato and stash them both in the freezer. Its like having my own brand of convenience foods. Having a decent sized chest freezer helps.
    Meal planning and I can only go so far and I am the worst culprit as the boys will eat whatever they are given but so often I don't fancy what I planned for Wednesday on Wednesday and end up doing something entirely different, so I've settled for choosing the main elements for the week whether meat/fish or carb and then going from there. It helps that I mostly work from home AND that I enjoy cooking. Whatever gets us to where we need to be, I suppose.
    NF 05.24 £18.00/£00.00 £72.00/£72.00

LD 11.24 £500.00/£345.00 (69%)    INS 12.24 £600.00/£000.00
    Renewal 24 £400.00/£403.00      Renewal 25 £450.00/£070.00 (15%)    
    Avch 08.24 £100.00/£025.00       NPt 12.24 £250.00/£083.00
    FD £3600.00/£1200.00                 X24 £1500.00/£0600.00

• in_need_of_direction
    Options
    I never did home ec, for me it was a choice between that and Latin and I'm not at all practically minded. The talk of left overs has brought me back to my children's younger days. I tried to vary the types of bread they took for lunch to school. By Thursday, the bread bin would have small bits of various types of bread such as fruit soda, Veda, barnbrack, etc. Thursdays would therefore be toasted left over night and was probably their favourite meal of the week.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st11lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 40.25% through my pb challenge.
  • Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,710 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I quite understand and agree with what you're saying about (not) leftovers Greying :D In our house I tend to think of us having a kind of 'rolling, everlasting meal' sometimes :rotfl: So we might make, for example, curry and rice. I'll take some to work the next day, and then we might fry up the last of the rice (the 'leftovers', I suppose, technically :D ) with some veg and eggs for tea that night. The following night, realising we haven't washed out the curry pan :o we might just merrily lob a bit of oil on top and use the last bits of the curry to flavour a pasta sauce. And then, er, we might not wash the pain again, and use it to make a soup at the weekend. Which will last a couple of days, and then the final bit might be expanded with a load of potatoes to make a stew, and then maybe even thinned out again the next day into soup :rotfl:

Ok, it's unlikely we'd go that far in one week :D But you get my drift I'm sure :D

But you're right, some people just don't have the skills or the imagination to do that, haven't ever been taught. There are people in my family who see dinner as either 'meat and two veg' or 'pasta and a jar of sauce' and if there's any left over you might heat it for lunch, but if not, then you'll throw it away, because what can you do with leftover pasta and sauce? (personally I'd sling it in a soup, or expand it to make a bake of some kind)

And :eek: to the idea of leftover bread - the very thought! :eek: :rotfl:
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    ....and see them as ingredients rather than leftovers. .

I agree. I think that is where my stumbling block lies, they are ingredients for other dishes.
    ....I've also been known to purposely over-cater rice and mashed potato and stash them both in the freezer. Its like having my own brand of convenience foods.

+1 to the purposeful overcatering. Where would we be if we didn't have fried potatoes for our Sunday morning cooked brekkie treat because we hadn't put [STRIKE]one[/STRIKE] several too many tatties into the pot of salted water earlier on in the week ;)

INOD - do you think, if the clever marketing types at the supermercados had put a bag of 'Variety' bread on the shelves, for customers to buy, that the children would have enjoyed Thursday night teas as much? :D

Cheery - 'rolling, everlasting meal' - reminds me of those history progs that are on BBC2, they always delight in detailing the contents of the stewpot over the open fire in medieval kitchens.....;) Yep, it does concern me though that there are generations who don't know cookery basics. Nowt fancy, just basics :(

wishus - I like Nigella's attitude to food, full-stop :D

Right, I'm away to Bedfordshire.

Thanks for popping in, reading and joining in. Mucho, mucho appreciated. As ever.

See y'all later.

Greying x

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• Upsidedown_Bear
    Upsidedown_Bear Posts: 18,264 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    th?&id=JN.th0Zgnc9%2bJBR32n1O4tPmg&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0

th?&id=JN.gX95UXRvyymuhGbrOinBhg&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0

Goodnight :wave:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing