PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Is £700 pcm too much for a house share?

Options

Comments

• dinkylink
    Options
    I have a friend who pays £800 in Stoke Newington
  • LdnFtB
    LdnFtB Posts: 100 Forumite
    Options
    Bit much, I pay £650 in Finsbury Park (zone 2).
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Options
    Considering this isn’t a long commitment I’d be more focussed on the place itself, location and (most importantly in a share) the people. An expensive place you enjoy living in is better value than a cheap place you hate.

Be prepared for your dad to have lots to say on his first visit.;)
  • Jenniefour
    Jenniefour Posts: 1,393 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    That sounds fine to me for a room in a nice house (there are plenty of not so nice and absolute tips) with bills included. No, it's not a rip off.
  • WibblyGirly
    Options
    I paid £425 for a tiny single room in York.
  • electro431
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments everyone! I managed to convince my dad in the end and things worked out pretty well.
  • capital0ne
    Options
    electro431 wrote: »
    I'm considering a double room in a 4-bedroom house share. It's in London Zone 4 and is around a 45 min commute from my workplace. The price of £700 per month includes all bills, council tax and broadband + a sky box. It's a renovated Victorian house that looks really nice inside. It has one bathroom between 3 people, with the fourth person having her own bathroom.

I thought it was a decent price, but my dad is telling me that I should try to find a room around £500-£600 all inclusive and that £700 is waaaaaaaay too much to be paying for a room.

Thoughts? I could do with a nice house, but at the same time I don't want to get ripped off. I was set on getting the £700 room but now i'm starting to think I should keep searching for something cheaper. Let's say my earnings are irrelevant, is the £700 house good value for money or would I be getting ripped off?

Cheers

I presume you mean £700 each! Well that's far too much - find somewhere else
  • Ougat
    Ougat Posts: 64 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I have a fair few friends who live in shared flats and houses all over London.. £700 inclusive of bills sounds spot on to me.. But I do know there are cheaper places as well.. but sometimes you have to be very lucky to find such a place that is also nice..
  • HWG
    HWG Posts: 79 Forumite
    Options
    Mate, if you don't want it, I'll have it. Bargain.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure