PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one

Options

Comments

• caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes, I've cooked some in the SC before ... it's irritating/boring waiting sometimes :)

I've also got a gadget that would work .... not sure what you call it, like a George Foreman grill probably .... not got round to having the courage to plug it in yet; owned it 15 years, petrified of it. I HATE electrical goods in the main.
    You could do a batch and freeze some? I got rid of my George Foreman as it was taking up too much space but it did do the job though I found it hard to clean. I've and electric frying pan - bought when I had no kitchen for a number of months and it's good, would you consider something like that? https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_4_15?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=electric+frying+pan+with+lid&sprefix=electric+frying%2Coutdoor%2C277&crid=38924LHJ66UYV
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    You could do a batch and freeze some?
    Wash your mouth out with soap!!

Additionally, I'm actually trying to empty the freezer... it's been 2½ years since I bought it and the ice build up is making itself known now .... trouble is, I keep putting things in there and not taking things out enough.
    caronc wrote: »

I've and electric frying pan - bought when I had no kitchen for a number of months and it's good, would you consider something like that?
    I'm pretty much scared of all electrical gadgets, and I've no space. No space to store it and no space to sit it to use it.

I just have this phobia that all electrical items, especially those that produce any form of heat, will burst into flames and/or set fire to the house from the socket wiring embedded in the house walls.

New build, all safe, hard wired smoke detectors etc .... but a phobia list longer than your arm :)
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Dog-walkers leaving poo around is also a nuisance thing - having to watch out they havent left it sitting around for the rest of us to inadvertently step into. No way of dealing with those other people that have an Idiot Gene in that respect that I can think of either...
    Don't get me started.... it's AWFUL if you're self-propelling in a wheelchair, it gets on your hands, and on your sleeves. :mad: It's not as if it's that difficult to deploy a poo-bag, either! If I can manage it, I'm darned sure the able-bodied can, too. And as the council chappie said to me, in order to slap an instant fine on them, you have to catch them in the act. :(
    *Puts soapbox tidily away*
    Just waiting for my visitors now. Terrified. :eek:
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    LameWolf - That thought hadnt actually occurred to me - as my own "worst case scenario" = yukky footwear and rinse it off outdoors before taking it back into my house.

I know I've wondered how blind/partially sighted people are supposed to be able to see well enough to avoid it = they can't obviously.

It is a very valid point though. I can see how that could happen - now you've pointed it out.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,225 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Rotten cold, wet and windy, so slobbing around indoors instead of slobbing around Asda looking for [STRIKE]stuff with 20p knocked off a ridiculous price in the first place [/STRIKE]YS bargains

Breakfast was toast & ginger marmalade x 2

Lunch was Morrison frozen cheapo beefburger, which looked like a large black rimmed digestive biscuit once I had burnt it around the edges under the grill, but not as tasty.

Had it with a slice of cheese & bun. The best bit is I now have a burger packet shaped hole in the freezer as it was last survivor of bad buy

Dinner not decided, probably frozen fish & chips given weather and general gloom outside, bit of easy CBA food, one tray bunged in oven, could nuke some peas with it, job done

A few of the 5 doughnuts seem to have vanished since yesterday, possibly vapourised or perhaps Scotty has beamed them up?

Bit of indoor gardening, watching the runner beans germinating nicely on the window sill, plus same with the borage. At least I will eat the beans, but the bees like the borage, and booze not allowed any more, so can't even float the borage flowers in a glass of something, although I think a cheffy thing would be sprinkle them on a salad, but that will just not happen here at[STRIKE] Fart[/STRIKE] Fort Farway
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Decided to have a belly filling breakfast of 2x toast, 2 scrambled eggs, beans and HP ...

Now that's what I call a real Hearty breakfast :D

Oh my what a long day...my feet hurt, think I need new work boots!

No noshing done yet today, don't flipping need anything after eating a weeks worth of food yesterday :o

Only consumption is x1 cup of tea and milk and x3 cups of coffee and milk.
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    I think it's more difficult to decide on a "meal" if you don't eat much meat. With meat you have a definite "main item" to work around.

So I stood in the kitchen in despair, looking at all the full cupboards/freezer of food and couldn't find anything exciting.

Then I consulted my "what's in the freezer" list - and spotted "chips". "That'll do!" I thought. So I put those on but I got a bit sad that I couldn't work out what to have with them.... then I spotted "fish fingers" on the freezer list, so grabbed 4 of those.... and then I decided I'd open a can of beans to go with those so I felt I'd had a full meal and was full :)

Job done. All eaten.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    yes meat is an easy meal, if its the like of a chop or a sausage, fish too if it can be bunged in foil and baked. No good if I have only got the likes of stew or mince in the freezer but am slowly changing and not prepping for a family. Costco burgers are fantastic if you get a chance

Change of plan for lunch, sardine and halloumi on salad and a tin of pea soup later with some toast. So glad I had already washed the salad and the spinner was in the fridge. I am trying to use my food stores, so I can start again on a solo footing.

Think I`ll do the same breakfast in the rice cooker. I get to use up quite a bit of almond milk and still have many `just in case` cartons left. Just in case of what!!!! oh I know a winter like we had in 2010, when I didn`t get away from the village for six weeks. Haha, it hasn`t happened and now I`ve got to get through the lot of it
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    I know what you mean Pastures re basing a meal around meat.

It must be just SO much easier, eg:
    - bit of chicken and......
    - a chop and....

and so on and so on.

When one is eating in a vegetarian way there is no way Main Thing to think "Right. I'll have that and......".

I think one has to think rather differently as to the basic composition of a meal then imo. More along the lines, I guess, of "various bits"/hors d'oeuvres/tapas sort of way of thinking.

Hence the@
    - summat protein
    - summat veggie
    - summat of filler food

and that's the route I'm rather following personally.

Tonight's "meal" as a CBA cobbled-together "Oh well - I guess it covers all bases" sorta meal. So - sweet potatoes for filler food/roast veggie and hummus for the "summat veggie" and cheese for the "protein". Finished off with an apple. Oh well. Culinary masterpieces 'r not us - not tonight anyway.

That was after a lunch of my take on a sorta stew that a workplace canteen in one of my (rather a lot) of assorted workplaces had prior to retirement. So veggie sausages (quorn in my case)/canned tomatoes/onion/garlic - which I just accompanied in CBA fashion with some of my homemade wholemeal bread.

Gawdaloneknows what meals will be like during kitchen hiatus over next couple of weeks or so. Stopped off in Aldi and bought a ready made orzo/tomatoes/and "cant remember" thing. Had one of my spells of "carefully forgetting about all the plastic bits they will be eating in the ocean - damn it" re some "would be nice otherwise" posh fish fillets I can fry. It's gonna be really really CBA for a bit now....:cool:
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    I do EAT meat, I just find it a huge commitment in using it up soonest/entirely really - and I don't like seeing/touching raw meat, which is why I mostly buy meat in a ready made form, or just simple mince/meatballs that are chucked into the SC without touching them :)

Even when I've fried sausages in the past I've cut the end of the packet with scissors, then squeezed the lot out and gone along snipping with scissors at the joins to separate them :)

I can't eat any meat on the bone, nor have food share the plate with any form of fat, bone, skin or gristle :)

So meat's not my first thought, nor on the menu every day :)

I'd far rather buy a pie to re-heat, than to buy raw meat and deal with it to make a pie... eww.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure