Hypnosis

Options
Will Hypnosis help turning negativity into positivity?

The majority of my life (50s) I've had issues with self-confidence, I constantly live in "fear" fear of the unknown I guess better describes it.

Best part of 30 years, I've been prescribed different kinds of anti-depressants, none really seem to work, I'm not really depressed, more the fact I have no confidence, hence, wondering whether hypnosis would work

Comments

• PeacefulWaters
    Options
    It might do.

I've certainly been helped by Paul McKenna's various books which also include CDs that you listen too in a relaxed state.

Try "Instant Confidence".
  • OldMotherTucker
    Options

The majority of my life (50s) I've had issues with self-confidence, I constantly live in "fear" fear of the unknown I guess better describes it.

Best part of 30 years, I've been prescribed different kinds of anti-depressants, none really seem to work, I'm not really depressed, more the fact I have no confidence, hence, wondering whether hypnosis would work

Dummies guide to CBT/NLP?

It's not rocket surgery;)
  • Beverley_Hillbillies
    Options
    I was thinking more of a hypnotherapist than self-help
  • baby_lemonade
    Options

Anti-depressants are very over-prescribed. They won't work if you don't have depression..

Hypnosis is good for specific phobias, or for giving up smoking, but if your aim is just to increase your confidence that sounds a bit too general.
  • DomRavioli
    DomRavioli Posts: 3,136 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Try moodgym - its a free online programme. Hypnosis isn't guaranteed to work, you have to change your thought patterns which CBT/self help will do.
  • Rowan_moon
    Options
    As a clinical hypnotherapist I have helped people with all kinds of issues, including low self esteem, anxiety, fears etc. A hypnotherapist could help you to explore what the fear is about and suggest ways of releasing it.
    Many hypnotherapists will talk to you a bit on the phone about the results you want to get, then they will be able to tell you if they think they can help. You will also be able to decide if they are someone you feel comfortable working with. Some will offer a free consultation which would give you a chance to decide what you think. Better still, if you know anyone who has had good results with a hypnotherapist who is local you could try them.
    Crazy clothes challenge 2017 - 30/300
  • PeacefulWaters
    Options

My answer was basically don't see why not.

I then explained an alternative. The alternative will be cheaper.

Effectiveness? Only one way to find out.
  • OldMotherTucker
    Options

Why not?

When I read your post I had a horribly old familiar feeling that I instantly quelled using a technique I read in a book.:):)
    In fact , it was CBT that made me realise why hypnosis wasn't the answer!

Coincidentally we have a relative who's been to various hypnotherapists over the last decade. Apart from dressing flamboyantly she's still alone and unhappy! Sometimes her appointment is the only thing she looks forward to!!
  • Laz123
    Laz123 Posts: 1,742 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Rowan_moon wrote: »
    As a clinical hypnotherapist I have helped people with all kinds of issues, including low self esteem, anxiety, fears etc. A hypnotherapist could help you to explore what the fear is about and suggest ways of releasing it.
    Many hypnotherapists will talk to you a bit on the phone about the results you want to get, then they will be able to tell you if they think they can help. You will also be able to decide if they are someone you feel comfortable working with. Some will offer a free consultation which would give you a chance to decide what you think. Better still, if you know anyone who has had good results with a hypnotherapist who is local you could try them.

I second this.

I'm a retired hypnotherapist and have helped 100s of people overcome fears, phobias, anxieties, confidence problems etc. Hypnosis is perfectly safe and a normal process where the discerning and critical conscious is put into a relaxed state so the unconscious can be better 'programmed' to change negative thoughts and behaviour patterns. Most people enter a state of hypnosis every day like day-dreaming or that state in between being asleep and becoming awake. In fact whilst in that dreamy relaxed state if you said to yourself an affirmation along the lines of, "Every day in every way I am getting better and better..." with enough repetitive practice the habit would be formed to think more positively.

What also helps is subliminal tapes which you play before going to sleep. The person induces you into a relaxed state with calming music and while the music plays positive affirmations are spoken which are 'hidden' in the music. It's a very good therapeutic tool.
    Why not?

When I read your post I had a horribly old familiar feeling that I instantly quelled using a technique I read in a book.:):)
    In fact , it was CBT that made me realise why hypnosis wasn't the answer!

Coincidentally we have a relative who's been to various hypnotherapists over the last decade. Apart from dressing flamboyantly she's still alone and unhappy! Sometimes her appointment is the only thing she looks forward to!!

How long have they been going to the therapist? If it's for a great length of time the phenomena of 'transference' has taken place where the therapist has become that 'wonderful' person and the client has formed an attachment so great they almost love that person which is not a healthy therapeutic relationship if it continues for a long time and could very well stop the client from improving until the connection of the transference is broken.
  • no1catman
    no1catman Posts: 2,972 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Try youtube - easy enough to do a search with hypnosis and self confidence.
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport