Pet Insurance guide discussion area

Options

Comments

• geena7176
    Options
    Hello,
    You probably have insurance by now, however I have just found that topcashback does a comparison service comparing quotes with cash back listed, my renewal with protectyourbubble for two small dogs aged 8 would have been over £500 for the year. I have found similar basic policies with Animal Friends for £170 with about £20 cashback forthcoming. The prices are for both dogs combined.
  • Galoglas
    Options
    Quick query. I've got a policy and I've reached its limit due to some expensive surgery. No complaints the company have met the bills they said they would. However its 5 months before I renew this policy so technically I have no pet insurance for the next 5 months as my original company won't pay out any more claims,rightly so .
    Is there any issue with taking out another policy to cover this period of time,knowing of course that the pre existing problems will not be covered ??
  • gettingready
    gettingready Posts: 11,330 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 27 August 2014 at 12:44AM
    Options
    A fried of mine had 2 policies running at some point - she was new in UK and had no idea.

In that time she had to make rather large claim and had to declare both insurance companies. As the 2 weeks exclusion on second policy passed - the bill was split between 2 insurance companies.

The bill was for 7k (hip replacement). As her original policy was a small cover and already used up for that year and the split came to 3.5k per policy - the new insurer paid "their half" but she had to pay the other half of the bill herself.

That was about 2 years ago so not sure what the procedure is now or for various insurers.

Her dog was with Argos and Animal Friends.

Animal Friends was absolute rubbish paying anything out, throwing exclusions left right and centre - she took that policy as the price was good and she only read reviews from happy customers who signed up but never claimed yet(friendly customer service, good prices) but not from those who actually tried to claim (terrible, refusals, exclusions etc etc).

Please google ALL reviews for all the insurance companies you want to consider. Price of the premium is not important if it turns out they do not pay out.

Dog had one hip replaced, they put exclusion for the other hip and all leg problems alltogether.

Of course she cancelled...

As I said, it was 2 years ago - perhaps things have changed but please just be careful
  • Galoglas
    Options
    Thanks for that. I'd be doing this with my eyes wide open and some insurance is better than no insurance.We are with John Lewis at the moment and haven't a bad word to say about how they have handled some large claims so would plan to discuss the situation with them initially to see if there was a solution until his policy could be renewed in January.
  • gettingready
    gettingready Posts: 11,330 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Galoglas wrote: »
    some insurance is better than no insurance.

correct

but just be careful as some companies offer what seems to be great deals but then refuse to pay when you need to make a claim
  • Galoglas
    Options
    correct

but just be careful as some companies offer what seems to be great deals but then refuse to pay when you need to make a claim

Agreed we've had pet insurance for years and if someone is offering pet insurance for £4.99 a month then forget it. For our youngest dog we are £25.00 a month and the 2 older ones are more expensive.
  • trevjl
    trevjl Posts: 222 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have two 4 month old springers and have just got round to thinking about insurance. It really does seem a bit of a minefield with varying degrees of cover. There seems to be a lot of puffed up stuff as is usual, things that I personally don't need or want are included in most policies. death pay out, theft, holiday cancellation and the like.
    All I really am interested in is vet bills. Of the quotes I am getting the best value seems to be £23 for both dogs which seems OK to me for lifetime cover with Direct line and catches the eye due to £8K worth of cover. This compares with the same amount for just one dog with pet plan and vetsmedicover.
    Am I missing something.
  • khakilad
    khakilad Posts: 58 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello all,

I am considering MoreThan Premier or Pet Plan for cover for my puppy.

I am thinking of going with MoreThan due to them covering more items and being cheaper than Pet Plan, however I have one concern.

Some people say that MoreThan ask you to pay 10% of the claim, I can only see that this is an option if you choose it/

Could someone let me know who has renewed with MoreThan if they have put a 10% clause on your policy?

Thanks
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,136 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    khakilad wrote: »
    Hello all,

I am considering MoreThan Premier or Pet Plan for cover for my puppy.

I am thinking of going with MoreThan due to them covering more items and being cheaper than Pet Plan, however I have one concern.

Some people say that MoreThan ask you to pay 10% of the claim, I can only see that this is an option if you choose it/

Could someone let me know who has renewed with MoreThan if they have put a 10% clause on your policy?

Thanks

according to the policy wording online the excess is £70 plus 10% for dogs under 9 years and £70 plus 20% for dogs over 9.

http://www.morethan.com/sites/default/files/R00726D%20Web%20PDF%23.pdf

Also, Morethan limit the amount that can be claimed per condition over the lifetime of the pet.

Petplan introduce a percentage charge as well as the fixed excess from age 10 but the vet fees cover is per year not per condition, so the full amount is reistated each policy year.

Always read the policy document thoroughly.
  • khakilad
    khakilad Posts: 58 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    sheramber wrote: »
    according to the policy wording online the excess is £70 plus 10% for dogs under 9 years and £70 plus 20% for dogs over 9.

http://www.morethan.com/sites/default/files/R00726D%20Web%20PDF%23.pdf

Also, Morethan limit the amount that can be claimed per condition over the lifetime of the pet.

Petplan introduce a percentage charge as well as the fixed excess from age 10 but the vet fees cover is per year not per condition, so the full amount is reistated each policy year.

Always read the policy document thoroughly.

Thanks for sending this through, however the policy that you can buy now includes the following terms which don't mention the 10% excess at all.

http://www.morethan.com/more-than-pet-policy-summary
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure