PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2017 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• minnie2
    minnie2 Posts: 513 Forumite
    Options
    I have just found 4 more pens in a bag while looking for a charger which i still havent found :-(
    Frugal living challenge - need to revisit its been.a while !! Need to reduce our debts!!
  • short_bird
    short_bird Posts: 3,674 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Minnie2, may I offer some advice?

Maybe collecting every item of one type in one place might not be the best way for you to work? If you're getting annoyed at the stuff that needs sorting intruding on your preferred way of living, could you find space behind closed doors for the things you've already found so they aren't irritating you by being on show?

It's great to have the time, space and health to do it exactly as it says in the book, but if you need to adapt KM to a way that suits you, then do that!
    Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.
  • minnie2
    Options
    Catshark i donated my wedding dress to my local NICU a lady created 18 outfits out of my dress for babies that were born sleeping.i know its probably too late for yours now but for anyone else have a look online for any local organisations that do it.
    Frugal living challenge - need to revisit its been.a while !! Need to reduce our debts!!
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    daisy_1571 wrote: »
    Oh and re your 111 pens (well done BTW, that's impressive !) Don't try to store them all and use them all, take gq's idea and others on here - rubber band or store most away, leave out the most used couple and use them till they are finished - otherwise you will have 111 around for the rest of your life lol. Such a simple idea that has helped me with a few things.

Dxx
    :) I had a fist-size bundle of part-used pencils, all three-quarters or shorter, mostly from Mum & Dad's (she's a bit of a hoarder but only of useful things, not knick-knacks). Trouble is, even useful things in silly quantities, become clutter.

Gobsmackingly, I am now down to only a couple of pencils from the original bundle, may have to search out some more.

Re pens, biros don't normally last more than a few years in storage, so if you have insane quantities, check if they all work now and think if you can reasonably use them up before they'll likely die in storage.

I'm just flitting in between work and an appointment and then running out again, keep up the good works, folks. GQ x
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • minnie2
    edited 2 October 2017 at 3:48PM
    Options
    Thank you short bird.i really want to do it as she says and i can see the benefits of her way but im struggling.i do feel so much better for the sorting and i do want to carry on but im worried i am not going to get there if i dont do it right but maybe i do need to accept its just not possible at minute.i dont have any closed doors to put it behind i have a conservatory of sorts conservatory makes it sound better than it is though because its awful its on the back of the house but you have to walk outside to access it that is our only space but thats got our dining table and chairs in from previous house and the rest of the space is used for drying clothes.i think im going to ask a friend for some help but ive asked her a lot recently.but i know she would be annoyed if i didn't go to her.

Ive just folded a pair of jeans her way and they stand however as i have a mountain to put away i dont think i have time tonight to start doing it to all of them.but the socks ive folded i will place in their drawers like it
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have just had someone round this morning to put up a shelving system for the integral garage. He will also put a new bolt and handle on the upstairs bathroom door next week and then paint the bathroom for me.

I am just trying to get rid of a lot of cardboard boxes as recycling is collected tomorrow and looking though all the grubble ( mix of grot and rubbish etc). So far I am putting things on the new shelves so they are off the floor and all cleaning materials, toiletries, toilet rolls etc are all together and easier to find and get at.

Decided rusty cans of polish , fly spray etc. can go, broken stuff can go, car cleaning materials can be kept together. I found a couple of tubs of dishwasher cleaner so took one of them to the kitchen to use later.

Getting a bit tired now so going to sit down with a cup of tea and watch telly then go and sort out a bit more in the advert breaks and pace myself.

DD still has her stepper exercise machine in there but as her BF is thinking of turning their shed into a mini gym maybe I can absentmindedly mention the machine when he is here and he will think it is his idea to take it ;)
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • oceanspirit
    oceanspirit Posts: 1,018 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    3 books went to charity yesterday (there were 5 but OH changed his mind about 2 just as we were leaving :mad: ).

Bought a new anorakky jacket thing to replace one 9 years old which is now thin and faded, a new purse to replace one which is 12 years old twice mended and now beyond mending and a pair of shoes desperately needed.

Have been thinking about boots as have 3 pairs of brown and one pair of black - the black pair are looking slightly scruffy now but at 15 years old I think they're allowed to. Have worked out that most of the clothes I wear with black boots can be worn with brown for the next few years to use up the brown pairs and will give the black pair a clean to see if I can get away with them for the couple of outfits which need black boots.

Dolls and clothes have been sorted and washed (keeping them as my DN likes to play with them when visiting) and several moth eaten items have been burned.

Planning some more clearing of paperwork but have a couple of busy days coming up so will have to wait until the end of the week.
    Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I didn`t have any kondo to do indoors yesterday and for some wierd reason it was dragging my spirits down, not being busy. Too grim for the allotment or for a cycle ride, so I stayed in. I haven`t not been busy all the time since husband died and as soon as I wasn`t busy, I kind of crashed. Very strange, I did pull myself together by spinning and listening to middlemarch and some lively jazz cds but it kind of re-inforced what I am aiming at and that is to get into another property and to make that a home/nest for myself, not to be adapting what I have now but starting afresh

I did some clearing on the allotment today and some in the garden here, the stuff here was MK and I have been to the tip, so it has been a satisfying day, gradually I am making time to read and to slow down for winter. I am reading a wonderful book, taking much on board, trying to remain on the outside and just letting thoughts come and then they go. `the things you can see only when you slow down` Haemin Sunim

I think it is the winter process, when the sap slows down
  • catshark88
    catshark88 Posts: 1,099 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    minnie2 wrote: »
    Catshark i donated my wedding dress to my local NICU a lady created 18 outfits out of my dress for babies that were born sleeping.i know its probably too late for yours now but for anyone else have a look online for any local organisations that do it.

Isn't that a beautiful idea. I did contact a charity that does that, but they had as many as they could cope with. I am so, so glad that that service is available to those that need it. I'm sure your dress made some exquisite outfits.
    "Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." William Morris
  • minnie2
    edited 2 October 2017 at 7:59PM
    Options
    Now about to tackle my sons bookcase. ....... and a box of random stuff. What would people about 3 framed pictures someone done for them.....they were a wedding present i like them but i dont like having photos or.pictures on my walls
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure