PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cleaning glass ceramic hob

Options

Comments

• Luca-Chatzzi
    Options
    I used to use hob brite but now just use cif...not for any particular reason... I think the hob brite was a conditioner too ( can anyone confirm that?) which I think means with use may make future spills etc easier to remove.

As for a scraper...MIL took to my ceramic hob with a knife when it was brand new, I nearly had forty fits....BUT it was fine and I have done that since with a normal butter knife... you have to hold it at the correct angle though... and the hob 15 years on still looks like new...shame about the rest of the appliance though.

BW Luca
  • Katykat
    Katykat Posts: 1,743 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    THANKS EVERYONE. lots to go on here, must admit I like Cif ( why on earth did they change it JIF sounds much better!!!! ) As long as I know thaat scraping will not scratch it, its OK
    :smileyhea A SMILE COSTS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING
  • pmorrisjones
    Options
    My Mum and Dad use Astonish for cleaning their electric hob (not sure of material but looks like glass and "rings" glow orange when on) and have to buy more expensive type for this use alone. Just a thought, would microfibre cloths be safe to use instead?
  • Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    Options
    When I had mine, I used a microfibre cloth and hot soapy water. Bit of kitchen spray left for couple of minutes before wiping(supermarket own or Mr Muscle type) for anything that resisted. Looked as good as new after five years.
  • MRSTITTLEMOUSE
    Options
    I'm with you Magentasue,bit of a spray and hot soapy water.Anything burnt on I would just turn off the mains and put a damp cloth on mark for a while till it softened.
    I gave my ceramic hob away as I found it awful to cook on,I much prefer gas so much more predictable.
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi pmorrisjones,

There's an earlier thread that should help so I've added your thread to it to keep the suggestions together.

Pink
  • Blairweech
    Blairweech Posts: 1,379 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am struggling to get the ring marks/tarnish off my ceramic hob. I have anodised aluminum pans (probably should not be using them). Used Astonish and hob brite which lift all the dirt and grease beautifully, but then the ring marks just looks worse :(
    We must all suffer one of two things: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret and disappointment
  • pmorrisjones
    Options
    Thanks to all. My parents always wipe up spills immediately but have been told they can only use Astonish (more expensive type specially for the job - not regular one) otherwise it will scratch the top. Think I will buy them a couple of microfibre cloths as I don't think they scratch, and are useful around the house anyway. Thanks for all your replies.
  • carriebradshaw
    Options
    I use hob brite and a micro fibre cloth, hob brite is really good, it doesn't scratch and does have conditioners in. I've only had this cooker for two years but it still looks brand new .
  • McpPsl
    McpPsl Posts: 206 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have just used hob brite and a micro fibre cloth for the first time. Wow the hob looks like new. I'm impressed.

Thanks all
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport