Bt

Hi I’ve moved to a new house on a new build housing estate. The only provider I’m able to get is for my phone line rental, calls and broadband package is BT as they own line and have not registered it. They are charging me £44 per month, I’m only getting it for that much as I complained they were charging me £52 before that . I know I could get the same package with talk talk for £25 and sky £28 , but they unable to do it as it comes up there no broadband or line in area. Can BT do this as they seam to be monopolising the area

Comments

• lee111s
    lee111s Posts: 2,988 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Is it FTTP or standard copper?

If it!!!8217;s copper, you can use any service provider which utilises the Openreach copper network.

If it!!!8217;s FTTP, then there!!!8217;s only a handful of service providers who have chosen to offer services on the Openreach fibre to the home network. BT, Zen and AAISP off the top of my head.

BT are not to blame for offering the service, the likes of Sky, TalkTalk and vodafone etc are to blame for not offering it. It!!!8217;s available for any service provider to use, however for the moment, they have chosen not to.
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,075 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 21 February 2018 at 11:32AM
    susan72 wrote: »
    Hi I!!!8217;ve moved to a new house on a new build housing estate. The only provider I!!!8217;m able to get is for my phone line rental, calls and broadband package is BT as they own line and have not registered it. They are charging me £44 per month, I!!!8217;m only getting it for that much as I complained they were charging me £52 before that . I know I could get the same package with talk talk for £25 and sky £28 , but they unable to do it as it comes up there no broadband or line in area. Can BT do this as they seam to be monopolising the area

As already stated you seem to be blaming the wrong company, if you know you can get the same package with TT or Sky for less money, and that is the most important thing, then use TT or Sky, if those company's won't offer service at your address then that's hardly 'BT's' fault, you would need to ask TT and Sky why they don't offer service to addresses like yours, (and if they say they are not allowed to, you can say to them that's just not true)

Assuming it's a 'fibre to the premises' (FTTP) address, you have what Sky and TT acuse 'BT' of not doing enough of, that is provide a fibre optic connection all the way to your house, that 'fibre' is available 'wholesale' to any ISP that wants to sell its services over it, you would have to ask TT and Sky why they chose not to.
    Finally, there is more than BT available even on FTTP, but those alternative ISP's are probably more expensive than BT
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure