Change to Sky Package

Options
Good afternoon

I'm thinking of downgrading my Sky TV package and just wanted to know when I can make the changes. I'm about to come to the end of a 10 month discount period which was tied to a 12 month new contract. The discount period ends next week and the contract ends 3rd of Dec 17. Can someone advise at what point I can make the downgrade? I'm wanting to remove the HD element and then maybe reduce the sports package.

Many thanks

Comments

• Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,932 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    as advised in your T&Cs any changes to your package require 31 days notice. So for example if you cancel movies today you wouldn't be able to see them after October 31st.

The only HD elements that are removable are the HD channels (which are in the Family bundle) and the Sky Sports HD package. The latter will knock £6 a month off the bill and if you drop to variety the difference is about £6 a month between the two but this will give you the bulk of the same channels just not in HD. Note that the boxsets, if you use them, are part of the Family Bundle only. Sky Cinema includes the HD channels as standard in your subscription to them, there is no separate charge.

also with the regards to the sports, they're poorly priced if you only take one or two, it's £18 for the first and I think £22 or £24 for three channels. For the extra £3 odd a month it's better value to just have all the channels.
  • sheffieldeagle
    sheffieldeagle Posts: 552 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 3 October 2017 at 11:29AM
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. I'm an old customer so the HD I'm referring to is the HD mix which is £12 of my bill. This is why I'm looking to ditch it. I'm currently on the original bundle which combined with the HD mix also gives me access to box sets. What I really want to do is keep my current package and get a new discount period but they would only do this on a long term contract unfortunately.
    I'm still not sure when I should make the changes (current contract ends 03/12/17). I want to avoid getting into another 12 or 18 month contract. Just to confirm if I remove the HD mix on the 03/11/17 will this remove it from my December bill?
  • Neil_Jones
    Options
    Your contract ends 12 months from when it started and you can give your 31 days notice at, well, 31 days from before it ends, so somewhere around the 3rd of November, yes.

As a general rule changing the package doesn't start a new contract; entering into a new discount deal will almost certainly require a new minimum term.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,474 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Neil_Jones wrote: »
    Note that the boxsets, if you use them, are part of the Family Bundle only. Sky Cinema includes the HD channels as standard in your subscription to them, there is no separate charge.
    According to my deal of almost a year ago, Family is now renamed as Boxed Sets with HD and Cinema delivers SD, HD and 3D, but I believe that Sport needs an extra HD element (but don't know as we don't take any Sports).

It's very confusing as on the Sky forum I asked for confirmation that I would be unable to watch 3D without keeping Boxed Sets with HD, but someone said I wouldn't be able to watch £D , but would still view all films as they are only in HD, now, but that's not true as they do come in SD but are listed near the end of the lists.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,511 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    teddysmum wrote: »
    It's very confusing as on the Sky forum I asked for confirmation that I would be unable to watch 3D without keeping Boxed Sets with HD, but someone said I wouldn't be able to watch £D , but would still view all films as they are only in HD, now, but that's not true as they do come in SD but are listed near the end of the lists.

The website is now a total nightmare to negotiate - you can easily get into loops - very little info. for existing HD customers and the pricing is *'~"$ to understand! Now seems very difficult to get into chat -they seem to be driving everyone to the app. OK if you have a modern phone or tablet -but useless if you communicate via PC as I do!!
    Only good thing is that I've found a number which gets me thru a) quite quickly and b) to Scotland not outer Mongolia!!
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,305 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    its worth cancelling completely and then waiting for the up to 60% retentions offers which should more than save the cost of the HD content
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Tammykitty
    Tammykitty Posts: 1,005 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I got a letter them this year just before 11 months were up (time to give notice) on my current discounts saying that they are extending my discounts by an extra 12 months without me needing to phone etc

My parents also got this - so I wouldn't act too quickly with cancellations as you may get this too.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,511 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Tammykitty wrote: »
    I got a letter them this year just before 11 months were up (time to give notice) on my current discounts saying that they are extending my discounts by an extra 12 months without me needing to phone etc

My parents also got this - so I wouldn't act too quickly with cancellations as you may get this too.

I've been hoping....but my 12 months is up 30th October , so now only 4 weeks.:(
  • sheffieldeagle
    Options
    Thanks for heads up on the letter you mention.
  • Neil_Jones
    Options
    teddysmum wrote: »
    According to my deal of almost a year ago, Family is now renamed as Boxed Sets with HD and Cinema delivers SD, HD and 3D, but I believe that Sport needs an extra HD element (but don't know as we don't take any Sports).

You're right, my bad, that (the old Family bundle) has only been changed relatively recently and it is now the Box Sets bundle.

Sports in HD is a separate and extra charge, otherwise the sports packages are just standard SD.

Cinema SD is still around for the older Sky boxes. The Sky forum isn't particularly helpful at the best of times but HD is part of the Sky Cinema package by default, that changed June 2016.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure