Windows update not working win 7

Options
Lady_K
Lady_K Posts: 4,429 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 21 July 2016 at 11:34AM in Techie Stuff
I have had problems with windows update for months now and it has now stopped updating completely or even finding updates to install. It just keeps saying checking for updates.

I did try a windows update diagnostic fix but it does not fix it.

My laptop is a dell and in the event history in the support section it shows orange triangles for warning saying appcrash and windowsupdatefailure3. I did think about doing a restore point but the triangles go back years so its too far back.

It started gradually by windows update first stopping alerting me on the taskbar of updates months even though it was set to alert, so I had to start searching myself and at that time it would still allow me to download the updates but gradually it would still find the updates but then struggle to download them until it has completely stopped, I cannot download any updates at all.

It was after that I tried the fix from Microsoft and in the repair list it says all is fixed apart from the windows update.

When I try to search now it says, most recent check for updates - never, and updates were installed - never but all my updates are in the history

Could it be Microsoft deliberately doing this because I chose not to upgrade to win 10, they bombard me constantly with this although that's not even showing now on the update page not sure if that might have something to do with the fix I tried
Thanx

Lady_K

Comments

• AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Have you tried doing the manual repair as outlined here : - ??

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/971058
  • Lady_K
    Options
    Hi thanks

That is where I got the fix from and all gets fixed apart from the top one windows update
    Thanx

Lady_K
  • GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 11,676 Forumite
    Options
    an unfortunately and infuriatingly common problem these days.... it's about time ms sorted this out.....
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Options
    What i am saying is to try the manual fix .. Instructions below all the "fix its"

Andy
  • elektra
    elektra Posts: 1,361 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    edited 4 August 2016 at 9:04PM
    Options
    Have a read of this article. It works to speed up checking for updates

https://www.askwoody.com/2016/07/15/

I prefer the second option listed there.
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    This is a common problem. Installing the latest version of Windows Update and the System Update Readiness Tool may help.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/949104
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/947821

If not, try searching the forum. There have been lots of threads about this issue, and lots of different suggestions.
    Lady_K wrote: »
    When I try to search now it says, most recent check for updates - never, and updates were installed - never but all my updates are in the history

One possible reason for updates to fail is if your update cache becomes corrupted. It sounds like you have deleted the cache (maybe by running the FixIt thingy). This removes the ability to uninstall previously installed updates and resets the "last checked" time to never. I wouldn't worry about it.
    Lady_K wrote: »
    Could it be Microsoft deliberately doing this because I chose not to upgrade to win 10, they bombard me constantly with this although that's not even showing now on the update page not sure if that might have something to do with the fix I tried

More than likely. Windows 10 must be generating a lot of profit for Microsoft, with all the information they can gather about users and sell to advertisers.

The French data commission have complained that Windows 10 gathers an "excessive" amount of data on its users, which appears to be a criminal breach of the Data Protection Act.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36854909
  • Lady_K
    Options
    Thankyou for the replies,

Before I had chance to try the manual fix, out of the blue even though I had started the laptop many times it suddenly started to update when I started it up but it did do it differently.
    It said preparing to config windows and applying update operation with about 27116 updates and since then its been updating but I still have to check for updates it still doesn't alert me as it used to.

Perhaps it was a delay on the auto fix that kicked in. Now I have Windows 10 popping up reminding me of the days left for the free upgrade.

I always used to hide updates that were directly aimed at upgrading to windows 10 maybe that had something to do with it but it just is not right that they should force people into upgrading like they have. I paid for a windows 7 laptop and its as though they want to control what I do with it. I have seriously thought of getting a Mac for the first time when this laptop is no longer useable
    Thanx

Lady_K
  • chunter
    chunter Posts: 2,001 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm living in hope that once Windows 10 is something you have to pay for, Microcrap will stop their bullying and let windows updates return to normal - especially the Windows 7 one.
    They are undoubted interfering with the update system.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,566 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Several sites have reported windows 7 machines running more slowly since the push towards installing windows 10 whether you really want it or not.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Nothing like a good conspiracy theory...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure