PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

My Thrifty Ways to Save Money

Options

Comments

• amandacat
    Options
    I do the Tesco Christmas club card scheme so all my vouchers come just before Christmas for the year. Usually about £80 worth.

I pay NatWest £3 a month for cash back on my direct debits each month. I get about £15 month so £12 profit. Currently have £110 so going to transfer that cash back to my current account towards Christmas.

I bought a morphy Richards soup maker, it was an outlay of £39 but has meant left over food such as roast chicken is now made into soup rather than binned and I make loads of cheap and tasty soup meals.

We try and have more 'cheap' evening meals such as jacket potatoes, pasta.

I try and sell things I'm chucking out or recycling on eBay first. Not everything sells but I'm often surprised what does and I've made the odd £50 here or there by doing this.

I do a lot of travelling and I take a hot drink in a lidded cup and this stops me going to the services and paying too much for a costa or Starbucks.

Having friends to my house rather than meeting at the pub. Think many do it these days though!!
  • tallyhoh
    tallyhoh Posts: 2,305 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I managed to recycle some presents from last year & bought some in January sales so everything paid for & wrapped up, credit card has a nil balance!!

The allotment materials I needed were paid for by selling oddments on ebay so everything now ready for the spring.

Soup kitchen has been getting donations, so far I have only had to buy bits to make up meals, job lot of sausages this week so just need some cheap veg to make up a stew.

On the downside the heating is now on......
    Tallyhoh! Stopped Smoking October 2000. Saved £29382.50 so far!
  • Lynplatinum
    Options
    Hiya

Did you hear about the fact that many of the Black Friday bargains were a total con because many stores had the items at a higher price only in one of their stores for the legally required amount of time and then some of the items were normally of a lower cost anyway! :mad:

Feel sorry for those conned - we all have to be so vigilant to check we are not being taken advantage of these days!

So ... have received offer of 'insurance' for Sky Box and dish from Sky (Sky was my retirement treat to myself!) Paying upfront is cheaper but do I need it - what does it cover - are there any excess? Its going to take me some time to read it all carefully and make a decision - why cant it be simpler instead of insurance companies/supermarket bargains/banks etc trying to trick everyone out of money just do an honest trade - they would still make money!!! Definitely trying to rip us off at the moment Jackie O

MorrisLilly - me a massive L!dil fan also - their Backlava is just fantastic (in their Christmas range) it is much better than (Wa!trose) It has saved me loads of money over the years - very few things I now buy from other supermarkets! Their Christmas range is excellent (am I allowed to say that word now???)

Thrifty Christmas tip - buy a roll of premade puff pastry - you can make palmiers - sweet or savoury v quickly should unexpected folks come round! Saves having packs and packs of 'in case' stuff in which you just have to eat up in January!
    Frugal on folks!
    Aim for Sept 17: 20/30 days to be NSDs :cool: NSDs July 23/31 (aim 22) :j
    NSDs 2015:185/330 (allowing for hols etc)
    LBM: started Jan 2012 - still learning!
    Life gives us only lessons and gifts - learn the lesson and it becomes a gift.' from the Bohdavista :j
  • Florence_J
    Florence_J Posts: 1,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It proved quite difficult to find the South Wales reusable sanitary items website-so here's the facebook page https://www.facebook.com/houseofcallaway/
    Debt Free Stage 1 - Completed 27/08/2020
    Debt Free Stage 2 - Completed 50/181 Payments
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thrifty Christmas tip - buy a roll of premade puff pastry - you can make palmiers - sweet or savoury v quickly should unexpected folks come round! Saves having packs and packs of 'in case' stuff in which you just have to eat up in January!
    Frugal on folks!
    I have several bought YS ready and waiting in my freezer - plan to stuff with pesto, sundried tomato and strong cheese for savouries, Nutella Chistmas tree as a sweet snack.

Let the yumciousness begin... :)
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • I_Love_comps
    I_Love_comps Posts: 2,295 Senior Ambassador
    First Anniversary Photogenic I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Name Dropper
    Options
    Hiya

Did you hear about the fact that many of the Black Friday bargains were a total con because many stores had the items at a higher price only in one of their stores for the legally required amount of time and then some of the items were normally of a lower cost anyway! :mad:

Feel sorry for those conned - we all have to be so vigilant to check we are not being taken advantage of these days!

So ... have received offer of 'insurance' for Sky Box and dish from Sky (Sky was my retirement treat to myself!) Paying upfront is cheaper but do I need it - what does it cover - are there any excess? Its going to take me some time to read it all carefully and make a decision - why cant it be simpler instead of insurance companies/supermarket bargains/banks etc trying to trick everyone out of money just do an honest trade - they would still make money!!! Definitely trying to rip us off at the moment Jackie O

MorrisLilly - me a massive L!dil fan also - their Backlava is just fantastic (in their Christmas range) it is much better than (Wa!trose) It has saved me loads of money over the years - very few things I now buy from other supermarkets! Their Christmas range is excellent (am I allowed to say that word now???)

Frugal on folks!

The sky cover what did you decide? My hubby pays this on our box. We went with the firm suggested by sky when we first had sky. Must say never used the cover but if you ever needed and engineer to come and repair anything then you you have to pay as unlike virgin repairs are not free. I know the cover, covers things like the remote control, dish etc. This cover we have is automatically renewed yearly. I get a lot of 'cold calls' saying I need sky cover . I just ignore those.
    I am a Senior Ambassador on the Competitions Time Board and the Old Style MoneySaving Board.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators.  Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

My Diary Link My Frugal Year 2023 My Frugal Year 2023 — MoneySavingExpert Forum

My Challenges
    Make £2023 in 2023. £3.16/£2023 Make £2023 in 2023 — MoneySavingExpert Forum
    Compers Challenge 2023 0 Wins Compers challenge 2023! — MoneySavingExpert Forum

• I_Love_comps
    Options
    Morning Everyone,

I must get my act together for Christmas. Although I must say for various reasons I do not feel very Christmasy this year.
    I am not overspending on presents just buying small gifts and giving the rest money to buy what they want.

Have a good weekend all.:j:j
    I am a Senior Ambassador on the Competitions Time Board and the Old Style MoneySaving Board.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators.  Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

My Challenges

• I_Love_comps
    Options
    Only two more days at work. I cannot wait for the Christmas break. Since the end of October my mom was taken ill and so a few days a week I have been at her house. This means I have only had Sundays at home. A very different Christmas this year.
    I am determined to get and do all of my last min shopping on Monday for presents, as I have not had chance to do much the past month.
    I had some change in my purse which I have added to my challenges here on MSE, I take part in the 50p challenge,5p challenge and the £2 challenge.
    Also this week my local coop is giving out golden tickets I have won two large bars of chocolate and a £5 shopping voucher.
    Have a good day everyone.

My Challenges

• raino144
    Options
    I would never take sky cover: replacement sky hd boxes are 50 quid on amazon. Plus the option is always to phone up and cancel because the box is broken - they will send out someone for free rather than lose your subscription!
  • Towser
    Towser Posts: 1,303 Forumite
    Options
    As a general rule of thumb:

My thrifty ways are only to shop in Aldi and Charity shops that way you can take out the guesswork if it's is a good value for money item for expenditure. Everything else can be sourced somehow eg Freecycle.

For savings it is a good idea to be economical with everything as it is a resource and likely to cost money.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure