PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Can I terminate my tenant's tenancy early for having an unauthorised pet?

Options

Comments

• leslieknope
    leslieknope Posts: 334 Forumite
    Options
    i'm definitely using the 'not emotionally prepared to cook' excuse in the future!
    CCCC #33: £42/£240
    DFW: £4355/£4405
  • leslieknope
    leslieknope Posts: 334 Forumite
    Options
    you forgot ladies of the night! it's a victorian gothic bingo card!
    CCCC #33: £42/£240
    DFW: £4355/£4405
  • fairy_lights
    fairy_lights Posts: 9,220 Forumite
    Options
    Penitent wrote: »
    Ooh remember the woman who was trying to sell her late fathers house, and posted the rightmove listing, and the 'Dad' floral arrangement was dumped in the back garden? :rotfl:
  • nikongirl
    nikongirl Posts: 162 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Penitent wrote: »
    I didn't see that one, but it sounds gloriously funny/awful.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5507210&highlight=dad+flowers
  • Old_Git
    Old_Git Posts: 4,744 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Be careful they may bury the dog in the garden .A bag for life comes in useful.
    "Do not regret growing older, it's a privilege denied to many"
  • higgledypiggledy_pop
    Options
    I am sure you are having a general rethink on what you have done and why but I would have thought an accountant would cost a lot less than this agent has done. Have they take 40% of your rental price for doing very little?

Yes, it would appear that is what they have done. Though %25 of that has been fraudulently obtained
  • higgledypiggledy_pop
    Options
    also, furniture can be damaged in any manner of ways. our sofa has seen more damage from a 3 year old than our dog. would you ban children too? but if any of the furniture is damaged, you can claim for this in the deposit. as long as your agent actually did a check in inventory to prove the state of the 300 year old mattress (which i hope you're not still using)? and protected the deposit? so regardless of any pets or children or a tap dancing troupe, you can claim for any damage from the tenants that's not the usual wear and tear.

No I would most definitely not have allowed children. I thought that the current tenants would be good custodians of the place and its contents because they were reported to have decent jobs, and they looked very neat and smart, at least according to the neighbour. It would appear that the woman doesn't have the job stated originally as she is in and out all day with the dog, and clearly not working at a bank full time. They paid a large deposit against damages because of the interior but I am coming to believe that this may have been appropriated by the agent and not protected in a deposit scheme as it was supposed to be.
  • higgledypiggledy_pop
    Options
    personally i would approach them and say while you're not happy they have a pet despite the term in the contract

They are very aware that I am not happy, but they fib about the reality of the situation. Furthermore any cleaning costs would presumably have been taken out of their deposit, which I cannot locate at present
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,323 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I am sorry this has happened to you. Are you aware you will have to return the tenants deposit (less deductions) even if the LA has run off with it? I'm afraid even if you trusted the LA to place it in a protection scheme the responsibility for it lies with you.

You can of course, take them to court for the loss of the deposit and possibly the tax money, but you will need to have some documentation and emails to help prove your loss.

Did they definitely pay the rent monies into your bank account?
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 12 July 2017 at 10:12PM
    Options
    OP, if the tenants paid the full 12m rent upfront, why did you agree to the agent taking 15% to collect the rent? They only had to make one collection! People who are cash rich enough to do that don't need to work in banks. They're either wealthy foreigners laundering their money, or more likely, running a cannabis farm. Call me Sherlock, but that would of course explain the need for the dog-it's to protect their investment from nosey neighbours...
    On another point, since you are managing the property yourself, you are of course responsible for supplying the annual gas safety certificate at the commencement of each tenancy, and each year. I'm sure you didn't forget this? Because, as you will know as a responsible landlord, failure to do so is a criminal offence punishable by an unlimited fine or a period of imprisonment.
    Looking on the bright side though, if they do turn out to be cultivating pharmaceutical crops, then it's unlikely that they'll be reporting you for the absence of a LGSC.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport