Things John said

Options

Comments

• dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    "I went to see a motor home (being sold by a private seller) and agreed a price of £7500. I left a deposit of £500 and received a signed receipt and said I’d collect the motor home once the 12 Months MoT had been completed, which would take a week.

The next day I received a text saying he had a better offer of £8500 and could I match it? Unfortunately I could not, but it cost me £60 in diesel and a full day to go to view it From Devon to Tunbridge Wells.

The first question is: could I sue for breach of contact for the costs or better still force the seller to sell the vehicle to me?

Another question: if I sued for breach of contract would I have to leave the deposit with the seller and therefore sue for cost of loss of earning, fuel and deposit?"

Answer...

"You can sue this person for breach of contract using https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk . If having agreed a price of £7500 with you he now says the vehicle is worth £8,500 he either has to sell it to you for the original price, or refund your deposit of £500 plus the £1,000 by which he hiked the price."

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/48757/bought-a-motor-home-but-seller-now-wants-more-money---can-i-sue-
  • dacouch
    Options
    Can a local council avoid liability for damage by claiming it is an Act of God?
    On 24 December my 77 year old mother parked her car (57 reg Mercedes CLK) in an open air car park owned by Runnymede Council. During the time it was parked, a recycling lorry opened the height restriction barrier to gain access to recycling bins. A gust of wind lifted the barrier into the air and it landed on the roof of her car and slid down the windscreen and bonnet. The car has 2 dents on the roof and the bonnet has scratches and damage to the paintwork. 2 independent people witnessed the incident. My mother's insurers submitted a claim to Runnymede Council and their response was that having consulted with the Met Office there were winds gusting at over 50mph on that day and so they are deeming it to be an Act of God and they have no liability. The barrier was apparently checked in November and found to be in satisfactory condition.
    Does my mother simply have to accept Runnymede Council's response? Is there anything she could do? Her insurance company is suggesting she have the repairs done under her own insurance but she feels the Council were negligent in allowing the barrier to be opened in such bad weather?"

"They may deem it an Act of God. But a judge will probably deem it an Act of Negligence for lifting the barrier in a high wind. If your insurer won't take Runnymede to the small claims track of the county court then you should. The Act of God defence only applies where there is no contributory negligence."

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/51232/can-a-local-council-avoid-liability-for-damage-by-claiming-it-is-an-act-of-god-
  • dacouch
    Options
    "I live in the UK and plan to buy an Italian registered 1967 classic car.

Where can I get temporary UK or EU insurance to drive the car back to the UK?
    Asked on 6 April 2014 by Julian67"

"It will be registered in Italy so you will need to get the insurance in Italy."

http://classics.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/52577/buying-importing-an-italian-registered-classic-car
  • dacouch
    Options
    Question

"Incorrect car insurance - is the dealer to blame?
    I bought a manufacturer approved used car last week. As part of the deal I was offered seven days insurance cover among other things. I was also contacted by insurance company to extend the seven day cover to noe year. The quote was good so I called them to extend it.

In my conversation with the insurance company I found out that the dealer had misrepresented my information to the insurance company. Most important fact was that he put down that I've held a valid UK license for 15 years whereas I've only had it for less than an year.

I promptly had this corrected but I was told that not only can the company not give me insurance for next year but my 7 day cover was invalid as well. They also told me that dealer must have deliberately entered wrong information because he knew that their company's system would not have allowed a quote otherwise.

All of this happened even though I had given my license to the dealer to examine and I think he even made a photocopy. At no point did he ask about the time I've held my license.

At this point I feel that I have been cheated and put at great financial and personal risk because I was told by insurance company that in case of any unfortunate event any claim would have been refused. So I was driving around for 3 days with an invalid insurance cover. In fact, I had not called them I would have not known about it.

I have now obtained insurance elsewhere but what are my options? What should I do?"

Answer

"Another reader was told he had 7 days free insurance by a Jaguar dealer without the Jaguar dealer actually sending any of his details to the insurer. Within 18 hours he had a crash and found himself in very serious trouble, which the Jaguar dealer will be liable to sort out. Basically, this salesman has committed insurance fraud and should immediately be struck off the list of IFAs. Write to the Financial Services Ombudsman."

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/53900/incorrect-car-insurance---is-the-dealer-to-blame-
  • dacouch
    Options
    "My 2009 Fiat Grande Punto was hit in a rear end collision. The car has a panoramic sunroof, which was fully opened at the time of the shunt. Prior to the incident it worked perfectly.

Immediately after the crash I reported the situation with the sunroof being stuck open, as the insurance company said it was unsecurable because of this and the car would need to be collected immediately. The insurer took my car away for an assessment who have confirmed that both vessels need to be replaced, they did however also state in their opinion this damage could not have been caused by the crash.

My insurance company has authorised the repair to the rear end but are refusing to authorize the sunroof repair because of this assessment. What should I do?"

Answer

"Simply tell the insurers that if they don't fix the sunroof that was obviously damaged in the crash, then you will have it fixed professionally and will sue them in the small claims track of the county court for the bill because they have breached the "absolute good faith"sic term of your insurance contract."

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/56919/panoramic-sunroof-damaged-in-accident-but-insurers-won-t-pay
  • dacouch
    Options
    insurance settlement
    I have had a insurance settlement because my car was stolen , then since found, as they were waiting for paperwork the settlement was not made, car was found and forensics have been all over it , I do not want it back , would that car have a stolen / recovered on its record to which I will never be able to sell it again for full value. Is the price they give you based on Private sale, Dealer sale or trade in please. Sorry two questions there?

If the car has been found then I don't think you have any right to refuse to take it back unless it is already classified as a Category D write-off, in which case you are entitled to the insurance settlement which will normally be based on a private sale price. They cannot make you take the car back with a Cat D label unless they compensate you for that. For help try tim.kelley@motorclaimgara.co.uk

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/59880/insurance-settlement

Hopefully the claims guru did not advise him on that answer us a lot of it is factually incorrect
  • dacouch
    Options
    erm...

Question

"Am I obliged to accept a third party's insurance company write-off decision?

While parked outside her home, a friend's car was damaged by a supermarket delivery van. The driveradmitted responsibility and left a number to call to follow up. The supermarket's insurer have handled it and offered to obtain a quote from their repairers. They have now come back saying its uneconomic to repair, stating they are duty bound to register the car as a write off.

The damage was very minor: scratches and a small dent on a wheel arch. The car is quite old and probably worth only £1000-1500 but I'm fairly sure it could be repaired for about £250-300 in a local body shop.
    Is the insurer correct in asserting the car must be registered a write off (Cat D presumably)?

Is my friend free to seek a second opinion, ignore the damage or make alternative arrangements to avoid the Cat D? (which I assume will reduce the value of the car when she comes to sell).

The car has been returned to my friend and is perfectly drivable."

Asked on 5 June 2015 by Gaz14

Answer

"They are not 'DUTY BOUND' to register the car as a write off unless you give your permission. Tell them that if they write it off you will demand an exact replacement. You will not accept 'market value' and you believe that you are being made the subject of a scam which you will take up with the FCA. Seek the help of timkelly@motorclaimgur.co.uk"

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/61283/am-i-obliged-to-accept-a-third-party-s-insurance-company-write-off-decision-

People may remember the motorclaimguru from spamming on here, he still has not corrected a glaring mistake on his website that was pointed out to him.
  • Aretnap
    Aretnap Posts: 5,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    He should come and post here. He'd fit right in, though for full marks he should really write SCAM in all caps.
  • dacouch
    Options
    Question "A young driver with an insurance monitor fitted made a stupid mistake, considerably exceeding the speed limit. The insurance company cancelled his policy on him but he now lives abroad.Is he scarred for life, or can he legitimately not declare this cancellation when he returns to the UK at some point far into the future?"

Answer "It's on the MID (Motor Insurers Database). So he can't avoid the repercussions."

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/61807/young-driver-with-cancelled-insurance
  • dacouch
    Options
    oh dear...

Question

"Insurer wants to write off my car
    I had an accident to my Toyota Corolla Verso 2005 reg plate, other driver admitted liability.Damage to front and rear passenger doors with scratches to bumper and wheel. My insurance company told me it is written off as non economical to repair (no mention of the category though). They want me to reply within 10 days though I am going on a 20 days holiday in 2 days. They want to offer me £2860 for settlement. I feel it is unfair as I am only owner of car from brand new and I had no problems with it whatsoever and just had MOT 2 months ago. What to do? Can I get my car back and drive it until settlement is agreed? I feel that they are applying so much pressure on me to agree and they put me under stress."

Answer

"Simply refuse to allow them to 'write it off' and demand its return. However, if they cut up rough and refuse to maintain your insurance on it, you are then committing an offence subject to points and a fine, so if you are about to go on holiday you are between a rock and a hard place. You would have to take it off the road and declare a SORN to stay legal. The sticking point with the insurer is probably credit hire for keeping you mobile while the car is being repaired. If you agree not to demand this then you may find them more friendly"

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/61916/insurer-wants-to-write-off-my-car
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure