MSE News: Credit and debit card fee clampdown begins

Options
12345679»

Comments

• mycar37
    mycar37 Posts: 67 Forumite
    Options
    There is no doubt that CC fees are a rip-off. It is only in last few years that they have been imposed. There never used to be CC and especially DC fees charged. If one cannot pay by cheque or cash then fees should not be charged. Period!
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    mycar37 wrote: »
    There is no doubt that CC fees are a rip-off. It is only in last few years that they have been imposed. There never used to be CC and especially DC fees charged. If one cannot pay by cheque or cash then fees should not be charged. Period!
    Not sure it was worth resuscitating a thread that had been dormant for nearly a year just for a ranty vent, but in case you missed it, it was announced recently that card surcharges will be outlawed from next January.
  • Shakin_Steve
    Shakin_Steve Posts: 2,701 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Old thread, but since we're here: I'm going to pick up a car from the car people tomorrow, the payment charges are....1.5% for credit card, 0.2% for debit card, and 0.5% for cash. So, basically, those figures at least suggest that the charges bear some resemblance to the costs incurred by the trader.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
  • mouthyman
    mouthyman Posts: 20 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The costs to any trader /company will not be allowed to be specifically added on a per transaction basis, which it what is was before they tried adding on further income streams for the traders's benefit - just another business cost.

Come next year when the new ban comes into force, I wonder how many will see a big uplift in trade and profits when people stop worrying about surcharges, accept the price advertised and just go and buy the goods / services? Probably a lot?
  • jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 19 August 2017 at 12:49PM
    Options
    Old thread, but since we're here: I'm going to pick up a car from the car people tomorrow, the payment charges are....1.5% for credit card, 0.2% for debit card, and 0.5% for cash. So, basically, those figures at least suggest that the charges bear some resemblance to the costs incurred by the trader.

Personally I would have given them an ultimatum - give me at least one method of paying for free or I WALK.
    The price of the goods IMO should include the cost of collecting the funds just as you do when you shop on the high street.

As a bye can I be the first to predict that Ryanair will be the first airline next year to introduce admin fees instead of card fees to circumvent the new rules??
  • mouthyman
    mouthyman Posts: 20 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Personally I would have given them an ultimatum - give me at least one method of paying for free or I WALK.
    The price of the goods IMO should include the cost of collecting the funds just as you do when you shop on the high street.

As a bye can I be the first to predict that Ryanair will be the first airline next year to introduce admin fees instead of card fees to circumvent the new rules??

And i would like to hope that Trading Standards / Courts / Police /MP's will come down on any trader who tries to flout the will of the House of Commons. When we were all young, any decent parenting included a phase of dealing with those who tried to "be smart and dodge the rules" and come down on the perpetrators "like a ton of bricks".

To stop the admin fee idea in its tracks how about: "Any fee or charge that comes about due to the method of payment will be surcharged by HMRC. The surcharge will vary between 100 and 150% and be on top of any normal trader's tax bill. :):beer:
  • jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    mouthyman wrote: »
    And i would like to hope that Trading Standards / Courts / Police /MP's will come down on any trader who tries to flout the will of the House of Commons. When we were all young, any decent parenting included a phase of dealing with those who tried to "be smart and dodge the rules" and come down on the perpetrators "like a ton of bricks".

To stop the admin fee idea in its tracks how about: "Any fee or charge that comes about due to the method of payment will be surcharged by HMRC. The surcharge will vary between 100 and 150% and be on top of any normal trader's tax bill. :):beer:

Since when does Ryanair take notice of anybody including governments?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure