Was Mortgage Free until 52!!!

Options

Comments

• A_Frayed_Knot
    A_Frayed_Knot Posts: 3,296 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Now have 8 items on ebay, lets see how this goes, opted mostly for BIN with free postage, but it difficult to judge a price. Wish I had the courage to start all items at 99p, would be fun watching the bids flow in (I wish), maybe I will try this next time with the items I would have previously donated to charity shop, that way, no loss.
    Always have 00.00 at the end of your mortgage and one day it will all be 0's :dance:
    MF[STRIKE] March 2030[/STRIKE] Yes that does say 2030 :eek: Mortgage Free 21.12.18 _party_
    Now a Part Timer from 27.10.19
  • A_Frayed_Knot
    Options
    Just back after yet another birthday meeting/meal a few drinks and a large piece of birthday cake.

Broke a 20.00 note today, got my change and stuffed it into my purse. As I was sorting it later I found I had been given one of the "new" plastic 5.00 notes - just my luck, had I known, I would have been taken better care of it. I'm sure I read somewhere they were worth more than face value.

A few watchers on my items but no bids or sales, yet.

Oh, and let me get my calculator, o/t available, tons of it - now, how much would I need to work to make a good o/p on mortgage.
    Always have 00.00 at the end of your mortgage and one day it will all be 0's :dance:
    MF[STRIKE] March 2030[/STRIKE] Yes that does say 2030 :eek: Mortgage Free 21.12.18 _party_
  • A_Frayed_Knot
    Options
    Well, pay day came and pay day out came, but got a nice surprize as I had done a little o/t but mounted up to a fair bit, well for me anyway.

Went message shopping, must focus more as I really don't know what I got for my money. £60.00 and didn't really get much food and I still have to do my freezer shopping. (!)

I notice some posters are stating they try to work to a half mortgage, half the rest - bi;lls, shopping, saving, etc,etc. My mortgage is only about a quarter of my salary, so no wonder I can overpay, must have a good think about how much I will be upping the payments when I go for my new deal.

Just cleaned my kitchen window, put out a washing, done a bit of weeding and had a lovely mini ice lolly, and now see the rain has started - to be continued .......
  • bexster1975
    bexster1975 Posts: 1,576 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    I agree about percentage of take home pay most people spend on mortgage. I think mine was about 40% when I started. Terrifying to think of half of pay going to mortgage for 20-30 years :eek:

I'm very lucky too as a little less than 10% of my take home pay is officially mortgage payments not including overpaying/offsetting.

I guess with house prices so high and wages not having kept up for the most part, 50% of income on mortgages must be commonplace for people.

Bexster :)
  • Alchemilla
    Alchemilla Posts: 6,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Just a thought about faceache selling, you could always meet somewhere if you don't want them at your door?

Ebay fees are monstrous.
  • A_Frayed_Knot
    Options
    Managed to collect washing before it got too wet, then it was off to brothers for sunday dinner, I took the strawberries, yummy.

I had the option of paying slightly less than 50% of salary at start of my first 2 year fixed term but as I had a lot of work to do, decided against it.

Bexter - 10% sounds good to me, but surely with my main aim to pay off asap, that would get me nowhere, although i'm overpaying I take more delight in seeing the years drop off.

Alchemilla - thanks for that thought, could work out, will give it some thought, especially for the larger items.
    Has anyone worked out if you sell an item at 99p plus exact postage how much you actually get after all the fees?
  • A_Frayed_Knot
    Options
    Feeling glum, nothing seems to be running smooth at work atm. Very busy and chaotic with far too many people to please. Hope tomorrow will be better, and must look into taking some time off.

Lovely evening, so going to coat the bricks round the house with a sealant, then paint them, but that will be another night, should look tidy once finished.

Oh, and ebay didn't do very well, so items off to CShop. Will try again with a few different items. Everybody loves a trier.
  • bexster1975
    bexster1975 Posts: 1,576 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Hello

I think we were talking at crossed purposes. I was just saying my actual mortgage payment is a little less than 10% of my current salary. I agree as the only payment it wouldn't get you far! Up until very recently I paid about 30% of my wage as overpayment on mortgage, now offsetting this instead for flexibility

Sorry work is a bit pants. I agree you probably need a couple of days off. Good luck with the painting.
    Bexster :)
  • A_Frayed_Knot
    Options
    Oh, that explains it :o- what was I thinking, at least that made me laugh!! :rotfl:once I had thought about it.

Hope your business plans are still on track.:)
  • A_Frayed_Knot
    Options
    Friday was a better calmer day at work, had a quick vip visit which went well. :)

Was just mulling over the mortgage calculations, and have just noticed a change in rates, so my options are;2 years fixed at 1.89% or 5 years fixed at 2.54%, both no fees,
    very tempted by the 5 years, scares me a little as I always like to have choice and this way would have no choice for 5 years:eek:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure