Child Benefit until 20th birthday in f/t education & then what?

Options
I have a 19 year old who will soon turn 20 (March 2018). They are at college doing A-levels and should finish in June 2018. I get Child Benefit and Child tax credits for her. If the “child” is in further education then you can claim Child benefit/tax credits until their 20th birthday.

My question is, so what happens on their 20th birthday? Does all money stop? Can Child tax credits & Child Benefit be extended until the of exams in June 2018 or the results in August 2018? Does my daughter need to claim something in March although she’s still in full-time further education? My daughter doesn’t know if she’s going to University or looking for a job after A-levels.

In case it’s relevant - she finished school at year 11. Went straight to 6th form college and did 1 year of GCSE resits and passed them all. Started a 2 year A-level course at same college but messed up the first year due to depression and hated 2 of her A-level subjects. So started again a fresh at same college with new A-level subjects on a 2 year course. She is now close to finishing the 2nd year of A-levels in June 2018.

I’m just wondering about finances.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You have a child, but they are now an adult.

If she lives with you it's reasonable for her to contribute. If not, benefits will go down, but so will costs.

Do you currently work?
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 18,048 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I have a 19 year old who will soon turn 20 (March 2018). They are at college doing A-levels and should finish in June 2018. I get Child Benefit and Child tax credits for her. If the “child” is in further education then you can claim Child benefit/tax credits until their 20th birthday.

My question is, so what happens on their 20th birthday? Does all money stop? Can Child tax credits & Child Benefit be extended until the of exams in June 2018 or the results in August 2018? Does my daughter need to claim something in March although she’s still in full-time further education? My daughter doesn’t know if she’s going to University or looking for a job after A-levels.

In case it’s relevant - she finished school at year 11. Went straight to 6th form college and did 1 year of GCSE resits and passed them all. Started a 2 year A-level course at same college but messed up the first year due to depression and hated 2 of her A-level subjects. So started again a fresh at same college with new A-level subjects on a 2 year course. She is now close to finishing the 2nd year of A-levels in June 2018.

I’m just wondering about finances.

Thanks in advance.
    They will stop completely once they reach their 20th birthday.

Claiming benefits for a student in full time education is only possible if they claim a disability benefit such as DLA/PIP. If not then as most other students do they have to look for part time work. At 20 years old they are adults and not children.
  • alexandrajj
    Options
    My daughter does receive PIP and her award is not due to end yet. So does she need to try to claim ESA in March when the child benefit/child tax credits stop? Even though she will still be in full-time education until end of June 2018?
  • Kevie192
    Kevie192 Posts: 1,146 Forumite
    Options
    Can she not work and help to support herself? I worked part time all through my a levels and degree...
  • Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    Options
    Does her disability prevent her from working?
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 18,048 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    My daughter does receive PIP and her award is not due to end yet. So does she need to try to claim ESA in March when the child benefit/child tax credits stop? Even though she will still be in full-time education until end of June 2018?
    ESA is for those with a limited capability for work. If she's able to work then she should look for work to pay her way and not claim ESA. Just claiming ESA until she finishes full time education probably isn't the way to go. To claim ESA fit/sick notes would be needed from the GP. Having a PIP award doesn't mean a person has a limited capability for work because people claim PIP and work.

It may also be universal credit she would claim and not ESA, if your area is a full UC area.

https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-guides/Full-time-students-and-benefits/Can-full-time-students-claim-disability-benefits
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Starting work just at the time she should be doing maximum studying, especially having had to start again is really not ideal and personally, I would rather my child focused on their A levels results. She could start looking for FT work in June after she is finished so you only need to make due for 4 months. Is there anyway you can increase your income?
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,969 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 16 January 2018 at 9:16PM
    Options
    This organisation may be able to advise:
    https://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/how-we-can-help/helplines/disabled-students-helpline

"Telephone: 0330 995 0414
    Opening hours: 11am-1pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

email: students@disabilityrightsuk.org

Our advisors can advise and support disabled people who are studying or wish to study at any level on full-time or part-time education or training courses if

the course is in England and
    they are over 16
    We can advise and support

disabled students or
    parents and/or carers of disabled students or
    professionals working with disabled students"
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    Full time students with a disability (claiming PIP) are automatically treated as having limited capability for work and can claim ESA WRAG or the UC equivalent.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • alexandrajj
    alexandrajj Posts: 121 Forumite
    edited 16 January 2018 at 10:05PM
    Options
    Ames wrote: »
    Full time students with a disability (claiming PIP) are automatically treated as having limited capability for work and can claim ESA WRAG or the UC equivalent.

Thank you Ames. Is that full-time students in both further and higher education?

Is it theoretically possible to be put in the ESA support group and be in full-time education? - or is this irrelevant because under UC you now only get the same amount of money?

If she goes into higher education, how would having PIP and ESA affect higher education loans?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure