Problem with neighbours tree and pests

Options
Hi all

Not sure if I have posted this on the correct forum but here goes.

I own my home and have a neighbour who privately rents.
She has a tree in her garden that is completely overgrown and hangs over into my side of the boundary. In addition to this, a swarm of wasps are very interested in this tree to the point that I would say there are around 50 at least. This is the 2nd summer in a row.
This is preventing me and my gf from being able to do any gardening or sitting on this side.
I have spoken to the tenant numerous times about this and she has seen them for herself. She has apologised and has apparently tried to get hold of her landlord in sorting my problem. I don't think I've seen the landlord do anything to the place in general.
Is there anyway I can take this further (seek legal advice?) as it is disrupting our way of life in our own garden?

Thanks

Comments

• sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Microhead wrote: »
    I don't think I've seen the landlord do anything to the place in general.
    Is there anyway I can take this further (seek legal advice?) as it is disrupting our way of life in our own garden?

Thanks

You have a right to cut over hanging branches, but if you have a word with the landlord he could allow you to do more.
    Employing someone to give the tree a good trim, could be cheaper than the legal route.
  • Microhead
    Options
    It's the wasp issue that's bugging me more as this is proving more disruptive to us. I have previously cut branches back to the boundary line but I shouldn't have to do this in my time etc.
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It's the wasp issue that's bugging me more as this is proving more disruptive to us. I have previously cut branches back to the boundary line but I shouldn't have to do this in my time etc.

That is how it works, many people like trees. Wildlife is good too, but if your neighbour does not like them too, he/she may allow you to pay for their extermination.
    Wasps are often found in sheltered spots with easy access to the outside. You can often find wasp nests in wall cavities, roof spaces, under eaves, in bird boxes, sheds or garages.

Could they be bees?
  • Microhead
    Options
    Definitely not bees.
    The tenant doesn't even want the tree in their garden!!!
    Surely if this is disrupting my way of life, there's something you can try and do about it?
    I'm almost certain the landlord won't do anything about it.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Surely if this is disrupting my way of life, there's something you can try and do about it?

You can cut back to the boundary.

You can offer to pay for it to be taken down.

You can't force someone else to make changes to their garden.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Legally, you can do nothing to force your neighbour or their landlord to act, so that route is closed.

There is the possibility that you could pay to have the tree taken down, but before considering that it might be sensible to decide why the wasps have congregated around it. If it has a hollow section it might have become a nest site, but not two years in a row, unless there are several hollows. Wasps don't return to old nests.

There's also a chance that a nest has been made in the branches, but in that case you ought to be able to see it. Again, two years running in the same tree would be unusual.

So, there may not be a nest in the tree, in which case something else must be attracting the wasps that will continue attracting them in future. In that case, the tree will be worth removing.

One thing that attracts wasps outside the fruit season is aphids. These exist in large numbers on some types of tree all through summer. It's therefore worth identifying the type of tree to determine if this is the likely cause.

At present it's just 'a tree......'
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    One thing that attracts wasps outside the fruit season is aphids. These exist in large numbers on some types of tree all through summer. It's therefore worth identifying the type of tree to determine if this is the likely cause.

Unless it is a fruit tree (e.g. apple or plum) then it will be as Davesnave suggests. The wasps will be more interested in munching aphids than having anything to do with you.

Cutting back the branches on your side of the fence will only move the 'problem' a few feet away.

If the neighbouring landlord won't remove the tree following a polite request then you have two options:
    1) Embark on an expensive and likely fruitless (no pun intended) legal fight to try to force them to remove the tree.
    2) Enjoy nature at its finest for the few weeks until the cold kills the wasps off naturally (or they find tastier aphids/fruit elsewhere).
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • Heedtheadvice
    Options
    or just hang up some wasp catchers......
    Plastic bottles, small hole cut in the side near top, fill bottom couple of inches with jam, old beer, ripe fruit, juice etc. anything that attracts wasps and top up to a few inches with water (if required). Trap the wasps for the whole summer.....
    ......if you are a gardener wonder why you have so many aphids :rotfl:
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,445 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm a landlord.
    Our tenants have a standard AST contract, which puts the obligation on *them* to maintain the garden.

Is it anything to do with the landlord?
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    J_B wrote: »
    Our tenants have a standard AST contract, which puts the obligation on *them* to maintain the garden.

Unless specified otherwise I think 'maintaining' the garden would be limited to cutting the grass and hedges, weeding, and generally keeping the garden tidy. Removing an entire tree seems a bit outside the scope of maintenance.

In fact if I were a landlord I'd be rather miffed to find a tenant had removed a tree without consulting me first - bearing in mind the tree may be adding value to my property. I'd also hesitate to allow them to remove it even with permission given the potential for the felling of the tree to cause damage to my (and the neighbours) property.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport