Frump to Fab 2017 - A Whole New World

Options

Comments

• DD265
    DD265 Posts: 2,202 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Happy birthday Maman, I hope you've had a great day.

PinkPetal - I was going to say that being asked to wait for healthcare because of the financial year is not something I'd be happy with and I'd probably make a complaint. I think it's different when you're booking an appointment and the next available one is so far in the future, e.g. for a specific doctor or procedure. Then I re-read and can see that you have an appointment with a consultant who wants to see recent results. If you were to go this week, would the results be recent enough? I think I'd ask to speak to the GP, and explain your concerns.
  • Pinkpetal
    Pinkpetal Posts: 257 Forumite
    Options
    DD265 wrote: »
    Happy birthday Maman, I hope you've had a great day.

PinkPetal - I was going to say that being asked to wait for healthcare because of the financial year is not something I'd be happy with and I'd probably make a complaint. I think it's different when you're booking an appointment and the next available one is so far in the future, e.g. for a specific doctor or procedure. Then I re-read and can see that you have an appointment with a consultant who wants to see recent results. If you were to go this week, would the results be recent enough? I think I'd ask to speak to the GP, and explain your concerns.
    Thank you, I don't think I have explained it very well.
    My appointment in April only needs one recent blood test to check the level of one thing.
    All the other tests are to see if I have an autoimmune disease which would be treated by a different consultant.
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Belated Happy Birthday MAman. So sorry I missed it yesterday. HAve a lovely time in Prague.

X
  • LaineyT
    LaineyT Posts: 4,636 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    maman wrote: »
    I know I took this the wrong way but it made me smile!:)

:rotfl: would love to say that it's only my beauty products am avoiding alcohol in but due to weight loss programme haven't touched a drop for a few weeks.
    Belated Birthday wishes for yesterday Maman hope you had a fab day and lucky you with the trip to Prague.
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,145 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Pinkpetal - if your GP had really wanted you to wait until after April 1st for the tests they could have asked you to come back then and pick up the forms (here we don't get forms, they just put the requests into the system for when you need them which helps with planning them for before hospital appointments etc). And anyway, the new financial year starts on April 5th, so there's clearly some confusion.

TBH I'd just get the tests done whenever I could fit in going to the hospital and hanging around for ages. If they say they didn't want you do do them before April 1 say you 'forgot' and if that was the case they should have booked you another appointment to come back and pick up the forms.

I'd also be inclined to look into this further and possibly complain to the practice manager. I'm pretty sure they're not supposed to use budgets as a reason to delay tests. Although it's perfectly possible to have a medical reason for delaying the tests (such as 'you need to wait a couple of weeks to ensure that you have had symptoms long enough for the tests to be effective - which I have with some of mine... it takes roughly a month after the systems start for the results of the problem to be evident in blood), they usually ask you to come back to the surgery so they can book it in.

If you're not sure, ask for a telephone appointment to clarify what you were actually asked to do.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,589 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks for your good wishes everyone. I had a lovely day yesterday. We went to see Viceroy's House. I enjoyed it although the treatment is a bit 'Downton Abbey' but as I liked that programme I didn't mind.

As you don't seem to fall into the category of needing to wait to see how symptoms develop then I'd certainly push to get your tests before you go to the consultant pinkpetal. It could be that in saving a little money on the tests they'll be wasting the consultant's (and your) time as he won't be able to give you an informed opinion on your condition.

I treated myself to a few cheap bits and pieces at the weekend. I went into Primark as I'd seen a turquoise lace cover up that matches one of my bikinis. While I was there I saw a pale, jade blouse with fluted sleeves and a tie neckline. I've tried on both this morning and they're keepers. Delighted to report that the bikini fits perfectly. Not bad for March!:rotfl:

I'm off to have my nails done shortly. Determined not to have more of the same (favourite deep maroon) so probably have a bright red instead.

I've got a pretty good idea of what I'm taking to Prague and Budapest although I won't pack until tomorrow. I'm expecting temperatures to be similar to here (around 12 degrees) but colder at night. Wardrobe will be around coordinating layers so smart black jeans, long line tops in purple/maroon/black/red, thick cardigan and stripey scarf which has all the colours in. I still think my long coat is a better idea than a jacket and I'm just wearing a pair of flat boots and taking my Skechers as they're best for comfortable walking.

Bright and sunny here. Hope you're all having a good Monday.:)
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Watched the film called Spies last night. Some of it was set in Budapest. It looks lovely.

Pinkpetal...... I agree you need to find out if delaying the blood tests would impact on your consultants ability to help you.

I know from my husband's illness that some of the blood tests are extremely expensive, many of his had to be sent to Oxford university, cultures grown etc. It can be a very costly business. Even so if you need them, then you need them.

I think you need to dig a bit deeper and find out why he wants you to wait. If it's purely linked to his practice's finances then that's not really an acceptable delay.
  • Pinkpetal
    Pinkpetal Posts: 257 Forumite
    Options
    Just a quick post to thank everyone for the helpful replies. I spoke to the receptionist at the surgery and the delay was purely financial. I have now been given permission to go ahead earlier. I'm shocked and a little angry to be honest I bet there is a lot of people who wouldn't question this. Many thanks everyone.
  • indiepanda
    indiepanda Posts: 994 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Pinkpetal wrote: »
    Just a quick post to thank everyone for the helpful replies. I spoke to the receptionist at the surgery and the delay was purely financial. I have now been given permission to go ahead earlier. I'm shocked and a little angry to be honest I bet there is a lot of people who wouldn't question this. Many thanks everyone.

Pleased to hear you stood up for yourself and got the right result.

Well what a glorious day - feels like spring has properly sprung, daffs and crocuses in the park, sun in the sky and warm enough I've been out in a short sleeved top with just a lightweight cardi over the top.

I was reflecting as I walked around earlier that at the start of the year I chose as my one word theme for the year "love" and just how right that feels now. Not that I have fallen in love with a man, no exciting announcements on that front. But I was walking around with a smile on my face and a feeling of happiness bubbling over that I can't remember feeling before, certainly not for a long while anyway.

My trainer noticed today (and it's only two weeks since I last saw her) that I was looking trimmer and my face is looking slimmer and when I tried on some of my jeans earlier they have got too big (have some that were snugger that are still ok). Also found some hiking pants I bought a couple of seasons ago intending to slim into them and promptly put on weight, but they now fit. Also had a pair tucked away from before I moved to London that I hadn't been able to wear in all my time here that now fit. Good thing really as the trousers I wore on my last trip are too loose now.

Been out to do a little bit of shopping, Got another pair of the trousers I bought in M&S yesterday, in tan this time. That should be enough with some skirts I've slimmed back into and a few new Kettlewell tops I've ordered to keep me going for a while, maybe get me through the summer anyway, am sure the weight loss will slow the less I have to lose. Bought a few new bits of make up - am finding myself feeling more inclined to wear it now. Also got a pair of navy shoes for work, going to try them on with a few things before I wear them out of the house but think they are going to work with both smart trousers as well as skirts/dresses. This is the ones I got - slightly vintagey which I like:-
    http://www.hotter.com/gb/en/viviene-heels?fit=Standard+Fit&colour=Navy?fit=Standard%20Fit&colour=Navy

Got a hectic week ahead, theatre on Wednesday, dinner with a friend Thursday, drinks on Friday, workshop Saturday and planning to go to an afternoon Ceroc freestyle on Sunday. Can't do my usual Wednesday Ceroc class so planning to go to a lesson tonight instead, debating whether to go to Pimlico or drive out to Hayes in Kent. The latter would be an easier journey but I am more likely to bump into someone I recognise from my usual class at the former so am leaning towards that.

Been a bit lazy and bought some ready made soups and prepared salads from M&S so I don't have to stay home and cook tonight. I enjoy cooking (and I didn't think I'd ever hear myself say that) but I enjoy dancing more.
  • chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    indiepanda wrote: »

I was reflecting as I walked around earlier that at the start of the year I chose as my one word theme for the year "love" and just how right that feels now. Not that I have fallen in love with a man, no exciting announcements on that front. But I was walking around with a smile on my face and a feeling of happiness bubbling over that I can't remember feeling before, certainly not for a long while anyway.

I love your story of happiness, it's so inspiring.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure