Options

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,888 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    mica2 wrote: »
    Hello,
    I'm back after a couple months break. I am into my DMP now and feeling goodish apart from nuisance calls and texts from Lloyds, but I looked on the SC website and they suggest sending one of their template letters to tell them to bog off.
    Anyway, I found an advert yesterday by nationaldebtline.org asking if I might be accepted for most of my debts to be written off by a government scheme? I feel a bit naive about this so am worried I'm going down a dodgy path. The reckon I could cut my debt by £13k, I currently owe £19k. The IVA company have been constantly calling me to discuss today but as they've been so pesistant it's got my back up as they seem desperate. Is this something I should look into? If so what is the catch as it sounds to good to be true!

An IVA is one of the debt solutions laid down in statute by parliament.

They can work for some people but you really should do your research first, as they are not always the best solution.

They are keen to get your business because they can make a lot of money from an IVA, if you are 19k in debt, would you meet the criteria for a debt relief order instead?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • mica2
    mica2 Posts: 66 Forumite
    Options
    sourcrates wrote: »
    An IVA is one of the debt solutions laid down in statute by parliament.

They can work for some people but you really should do your research first, as they are not always the best solution.

They are keen to get your business because they can make a lot of money from an IVA, if you are 19k in debt, would you meet the criteria for a debt relief order instead?

I'm not sure, SC haven't given me a choice of other options :( I'll look into it. Thanks!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    PRA group.

They are legally obligated to pass the request to the original creditor, it also has the benefit of informing them of your intentions, so that they will put accounts "on hold" until the requests have been complied with.

I sent a CCA request to Wescot concerning my Mint CC debt that they are managing. They returned my PO and told me to resend the request to RBS who are responsible for the Mint card. I thought that was odd as none of the others did that but passed on the requests to the original creditors themselves.
  • sourcrates
    Options
    I sent a CCA request to Wescot concerning my Mint CC debt that they are managing. They returned my PO and told me to resend the request to RBS who are responsible for the Mint card. I thought that was odd as none of the others did that but passed on the requests to the original creditors themselves.

They were just been lazy car boot,

It's written in the consumer credit act that any third party who is managing or has bought a debt, must forward your request on to the original creditor.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    They were just been lazy car boot,

It's written in the consumer credit act that any third party who is managing or has bought a debt, must forward your request on to the original creditor.

Thanks, I thought they were being lazy too. Or else using delaying tactics;)
  • January2015
    January2015 Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi everyone

Apologies that I haven't been around much lately - life has interrupted. I'm likely not to be around much until at least towards the end of June.

Thank you CBC and motivated for the messages checking I'm okay :)

Hope you are all doing well - I haven't even had chance to read and catch up on all your progess and meet new members.

Take care - and never fear.....in the words of Arnie.... I'll be back ;)
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k :eek: Now debt free and happy :j
  • Max_and_sasha
    Options
    Hi car boot crazy

Westcot did exactly the same thing with me, so when they come asking for payment I will tell i am only dealing with rbs as they don't hold any paperwork to collect the debt, if anything that should annoy them a bit as they cost me another 2 cca requests and 2 postal orders ,

Max
  • Sazzie23
    Sazzie23 Posts: 2,634 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Post of the Month
    Options
    Hi everyone

Apologies that I haven't been around much lately - life has interrupted. I'm likely not to be around much until at least towards the end of June.

Thank you CBC and motivated for the messages checking I'm okay :)

Hope you are all doing well - I haven't even had chance to read and catch up on all your progess and meet new members.

Take care - and never fear.....in the words of Arnie.... I'll be back ;)

This thread is just amazing. And thanks to everyone for questions, replies and support, I love you all. :beer:

Stay safe.

Saz
    Debt -it's a fight that I'm winning, dealing with debt one day at a time.
    Estimated DFD August 2018 - 2031 - now 2027 :T

Guide dog Tess, missing Scotland 2 years

DMP support no438.
  • Billy12345
    Billy12345 Posts: 105 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Billy12345 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Wondering whether someone can give me a bit of advice what to do with the I&E statement for my credit card. I am attempting to self manage this one oooeerr. I am concerned the I&E statement will show I can pay more but I want them to default. What do i do :eek:
    Hi all

Quick update from me. DMP plodding along nicely with Stepchange but I never told them about a Cap One Credit Card as I was going on holiday and needed a card for a swipe for car hire (nothing was ever taken but Alamo said they needed a credit card) the holiday was paid before the DMP so I thought why not go. :o

Anyway following the great advice on here I decided to self manage the Cap One debt whilst my DMP with stepchange plods along (I was scared of rocking the boat with SC to be honest).:eek:

I used the standard NEDCAB letter telling them I was in financial difficulty with a slight amendment and they have now written back (only took them six weeks lol).

They are asking for the I&E form which I am completing but they want bank statement and proof I am in difficulty....yeah right...they are getting the I&E form and a letter using the NEDCAB website and thats their lot. I am going to ask their bank details so I can set up a standing order, is that the right thing to do.

I was thinking of £1 payments for six months to get them to default quicker. What will they do if I send the I&E form but do not make any payments, will they default quicker or what else can they do ? They I&E form shows I can make higher payments and I am worried they will reject the token payments once they read the I&E.....help:eek::eek:

Hi all, appreciate everyone is busy and posts get missed but can anyone advise what a creditor will do if I send an i&e statement in saying I can pay xxx amount and then a letter saying I am only paying £1 a month for six months.

Help :eek:
  • sourcrates
    Options
    Hi all, appreciate everyone is busy and posts get missed but can anyone advise what a creditor will do if I send an i&e statement in saying I can pay xxx amount and then a letter saying I am only paying £1 a month for six months.

Help :eek:

Don't send the form bill, just make your token payments for now.

Your under no obligation to fill in any forms for anyone.

Assume your after the default ?

Just make token payments until that happens.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure