Murray International Trust (MYI)

Options
I am looking at investing into a trust in the global equity income sector and quite like MYI, however although its performance over the past 10 years has been very good does anybody know why it has struggled a little over the past 5 year period in comparison to other global equity income trusts?

Comments

• Jackthedog
    Jackthedog Posts: 66 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 16 September 2017 at 11:44PM
    Options
    It was going great guns when pound fell.... just the opposite when the pound recently rose...lol

I have this one and I view it as a reasonable vehicle... Oh and the manager inspires my confidence in a rather offbeat way!
  • pinkllama
    Options
    It’s struggled over the past 5 years due to being heavily invested in emerging markets. Personally I wouldn’t consider it a standard global trust.
  • ArchBair
    ArchBair Posts: 153 Forumite
    edited 18 September 2017 at 4:06PM
    Options
    An alternative trust to consider is JP Morgan Growth & Income Trust (JPGI) which has a pretty good yield and has performed quite consistently over the past 10 years.
  • talexuser
    talexuser Posts: 3,499 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The manager has a very good long term record but has suffered under QE, being one of those who thinks it is just a conjuring trick and fundamentals will make chickens come home to roost eventually.

His recent underperformance was saved by the fall in sterling after the brexit vote which has boosted the fund. I have some money in it for the grandkids on a 20 year view (as well as vanguard).
  • BLB53
    BLB53 Posts: 1,583 Forumite
    Options
    The manager favoured the emerging markets over the USA in recent years which was a poor judgment call and the trust has suffered. He had a good track record before but he is very bearish and worried about global debt.

You would be better with a low cost global index fund such as Vanguard Lifestrategy as managed funds tend to blow hot and cold and are always liable to underperform when the managers make mistakes or apply poor judgment (but continue to charge you just the same).
  • Sally57
    Sally57 Posts: 205 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    ArchBair wrote: »
    An alternative trust to consider is JP Morgan Growth & Interest Trust (JPGI) which has a pretty good yield and has performed quite consistently over the past 10 years.

I did consider MYI and even more so HINT but in the end decided on JPGI. It really is all down to personal choice on holdings, regional allocations etc
  • MonroeM
    Options
    Sally57 wrote: »
    I did consider MYI and even more so HINT but in the end decided on JPGI. It really is all down to personal choice on holdings, regional allocations etc

I think people that have held MYI over a long period of time are perfectly happy with their investment.
  • Apodemus
    Apodemus Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    MonroeM wrote: »
    I think people that have held MYI over a long period of time are perfectly happy with their investment.

Yep! Had mine for nearly 50 years, originally bought as Murray Western Investment Trust.
  • Sue58
    Sue58 Posts: 288 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sally57 wrote: »

On reflection, and studying the factsheet I will go with JPGI - looks good to me, good yield with some growth and income.
  • MonroeM
    MonroeM Posts: 174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Apodemus wrote: »
    Yep! Had mine for nearly 50 years, originally bought as Murray Western Investment Trust.

Wow - that's amazing! Maybe there should be a bonus dividend payment for investors who stay invested with a trust for 50 years?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure