PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

December 2014 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• pixie1
    pixie1 Posts: 1,442 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi Everyone!

I havent been on MSE since June 2013 so to say Ive lost my way a little is an understatement!!

Our financial situation is going to change over the next three months in a negative way, so its time to start budgeting more and using up the stocked store cupboard I already have.

We are away for 10 nights in December and Im not going to include food purchsed during this time as we are on holiday and we have saved all year for it.

So my spend for the remainder of December is going to be $400 thats for two adults and a cat. We are hosting a BBQ for 8 people during this period so ive included a little extra for drinks and treats as its Christmas.

Hopefully, with careful menu planning i can come in under budget and also leave some food towards January.

Good luck everyone.

Pix
    :jDebt Free At Last!:j
  • maria3104
    Options
    Hi. I have struggled to find this thread. Phew thought I would be going wild with no restraining budget/thread control!

As I have at least 8 for around 10 days over XMAS and numerous unexpecteds and neighbours etc I am going to aim for £500

Here goes. Happy December to us all.
  • Billie-jo
    Billie-jo Posts: 1,221 Forumite
    edited 27 November 2014 at 6:24PM
    Options
    Just put this on the Nov thread and now on here -

Just to let you know there is a £5 voucher in the Sun. (on page 3) Its for £5 off fresh fruit, vegetables and salad when you spend £10 on anything (exl lottery, cigarettes and a few others) in Morrys. Valid until Sunday. One coupon per transaction.
    Wonder if this will cause a stampede like last time.
    MARCH £62.38/250
  • scotmumof3
    scotmumof3 Posts: 1,951 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Bobarella wrote: »
    Hi All
    I havent posted yet this week, but have been keeping tally religiously. A spend of £10 today on essentials (marmite, washing up liquid, bleach etc)
    Im feeling optimistic that this is the month we really reduce our food expenditure hence why I've gone so low on our monthly spend this month. We have already managed to go from £260 to £215 in the space of 2 months so thats pretty good I think?
    Good luck everyone.
    Bob

Marmite again Bobarella :eek:
    I think you've done great to reduce your spending by that much I'm hoping come Jan that I will be able to start reducing mine. ( Asking the man in red for some willpower:)).
    Debt free as of 29.10.2020 🎉😁
    SPC #73 Feb NSD 0/20
  • WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Thanks Zippy, Coxy and Solstice for this months thread.
    I can hardly believe its December again! I remember last years December thread (and the one before that, come to think of it).

As always, thanks go to everyone who makes this thread so great every single month and makes it one of the friendliest threads on MSE (in my opinion!).

Welcome to all the new people, whether new to MSE or just new to this thread. Everyone is a lovely, friendly bunch, so jump right in :)

I would like to aim for £400 for the month please. That's £60 more than usual. We are going up to my mums for a week over Christmas but I want to treat her to some nice food and bake her some stuff. She works really hard and deserves it. Think I am going to make a nice feast on Christmas Eve, of chilli, loaded potato skins, guacamole etc.

Have a great month everyone :)
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    scotmumof3 wrote: »
    Marmite again Bobarella :eek:
    I think you've done great to reduce your spending by that much I'm hoping come Jan that I will be able to start reducing mine. ( Asking the man in red for some willpower:)).

Yep see what i mean about them drinking marmite. Thank you. It becomes second nature to think of how to use things up to squeeze another meal out. Today I made a big pot of pork stew using YS pork £2 & a stew pack that was 25p. Total cost was £2.50 & that will do about 6 portions. I served it with some basics pitta breads sliced & warmed in the oven, with a tub of cucumber tzatziki for 25p YS.
    Tommorow I'm aiming for a free dinner tommorow as I found a brand match coupon for £2.11 so my challenge will be to find food to that total.
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • scotmumof3
    scotmumof3 Posts: 1,951 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Bobarella wrote: »
    Yep see what i mean about them drinking marmite. Thank you. It becomes second nature to think of how to use things up to squeeze another meal out. Today I made a big pot of pork stew using YS pork £2 & a stew pack that was 25p. Total cost was £2.50 & that will do about 6 portions. I served it with some basics pitta breads sliced & warmed in the oven, with a tub of cucumber tzatziki for 25p YS.
    Tommorow I'm aiming for a free dinner tommorow as I found a brand match coupon for £2.11 so my challenge will be to find food to that total.

Yum that sound really good. I am trying to retrain my brain
    (might take some time:D) but I am determined. Good luck with the coupon.:)
    Debt free as of 29.10.2020 🎉😁
    SPC #73 Feb NSD 0/20
  • findingmyfeet
    Options
    good morning everyone,

can i please join in this month target of £350.

more than usual due to christmas, having family and friends around on a couple of occasions . still hoping to keep costs down as much as possible. Need to meal plan and party menu plan and keep organised.

my month runs from today to 28th December.

many thanks
    sealed pot member no :081:o 2011- £306.68 2012-£304.36 2013- £387.44 2014 - £441.43 ;)£482.30 2019 £655.58
  • lushlifesaver
    Options
    Managed to get the topside beef joint in to four smaller pieces (though they aren't even in weight, need to work on managing that!) I am tempted to go today to try for some lamb I saw on offer but not sure I can brave the Black Friday Crowds!

Used the last of the milk on bf's milkshake today so I need to get some, also will need nesquik powder soon (he has it with the milk and some sports supplements every morning) so will look for offers this morning.

We are out pretty much all day tomorrow at an exhibition game then the local Christmas light switch on so I think I may chuck a stew/casserole in the slow cooker in the morning before we leave :)

Could also do with a jar of pickled red cabbage, some cherry tomatoes and some cooking oil.

Hmm I'd better make a list!
    Daughter born 26/03/14
    Son born 13/02/21
  • bestill
    Options
    Thanks to the lovely people who run this board. I'm going for £300same as Nov, we will need some extra food over the festive period, but hoping extra costs will balance with days eating at family & birthday food that's out of another budget.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure