Browntoa Posts: 49,302 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I think the term you are looking for is a "deadlock letter"
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • duncaj1
    Options
    My elderly parents live in a remote house on an Island in Orkney, Scotland. They have been through a tortuous year with BT as their "service" provider.

They have now been completely without a landline or internet for 11 weeks, let alone any chance of broadband. My father has been building a new house over the past few years next to the original. In November 2016 he contacted BT to ask them to move the line from the old house to the new house and has a catalog of unfulfilled promises and engineer appointments that have come and gone, with no explanation of why they didn't turn up.

The BT engineer failed to turn up on the 19th May, and my parent's landline and internet were both completely cut off by BT on this date. Since then, there have been 4 more arranged dates on which engineers were supposed to turn up but have not done so, with no notice or explanation.

11 weeks after the phone was cut off and the best part of year since my father asked BT to move the line and he is no closer to getting it sorted.

Allegedly BT has a Universal Service Obligation to provide all households in the UK with a landline, even in remote parts of the country, and they are certainly not fulfilling this.
  • cloaked
    cloaked Posts: 14 Forumite
    edited 18 August 2017 at 12:09PM
    Options
    So I was billed an excessive amount of due to coming out of my 12 month contract and all the discounts being removed - £135 for the quarter.

I phoned to cancel the service with BT because their billing and customer service is really poor.

They offered me a deal of £26.50pm and suggested I should go on monthly DD. When I agreed they told me the initial DD will be for the £135 and it will be credited back on subsequent bills.

When I refused to pay this they said they would look into it. So the new contract started, I didn't pay the previous bill of £135 and the 14 day cooling off period expired before they resolved the issue, despite me calling them, raising complaints etc.

Now BT are suggesting I cannot cancel the contract unless I pay the remainder of the contract. They are also saying there is no way around their billing system and I will have to pay the £135 up front.

Apart from complain more about the atrocious customer service and complaint handling, what can I do?

This is causing me much stress!!!
  • Plumbs
    Plumbs Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 20 August 2017 at 10:00PM
    Options
    Hi all.... I been reading through your complaints and it seems I'm not alone.
    It's come to light bt has been unlawfully taking money from my account for 3 years, maybe 7..!!!
    I contacted them and they agreed there was and had been a mistake on their behalf... a manager called back and offered £30 !! An insult at best, I refused of course.
    I called back a week later asking for my money the bt guy on the other end of the phone laughed at me, shouted at me then hung up.... where do you go from there, bt are a disgrace and believe they are above reproach...they unlawfully rob and cheat hard working people... disgusting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • corruption666
    Options
    I'm looking for some BT advice, got rejected to increase my overdraft by my bank and advised to check my credit file, I do so only to find out that BT have registered an unpaid bill for £211 from 2011!!! I remember getting a letter from a debt collection agency years ago and phoning them up to ask what it was about and they conferenced in a BT rep.
    In 2011 I was living in a small village up north in staff housing and I got phone and more importantly BB put in, about 9 months later I sent BT a letter to cancel the account as I was leaving my job (and therefore staff housing) and moving back home. Unbeknownst to me BT never received (so they say) my letter and kept sending bills until the cut off the line, but they were doing so to the staff housing that I no longer lived at and had a high turn around. Now immediately after I finished my job I was off on holiday in the USA for 3 weeks and then back to my registered voting address and haven't moved since. I never received any letters from BT advising me of an unpaid bill or that they continued my line until they cut it off. The 3 way call ended with me demanding proof but of course it was radio silence from then on out.
    How do I best dispute this? I have no proof of sending the cancellation letter and they have no proof of me receiving any letters (probably due in part to our local postman going to jail for insulating his house with letters). I want to get this rectified due to the effect on my credit rating.
  • graemev2
    Options
    I am sitting awaiting my 4th "openreach" engineer visit for the same fault (A nosily line). Each engineer has done a competent job, found the (same) fault and requested a crew dig a hole (painted on the footpath) and fix it.
    Every time BT have failed to organise the work and have just cancelled the "ticket" . Each time they say it's one off error , they won't do it again and raise a new ticket.
  • graemev2
    Options
    Just tried to contact the "BT rep" who posted here. Looks like he stopped in 2015. I'm guessing he left BT and nobody picked it up.
  • graemev2
    Options
    The issue of BT just cancelling "faults" and saying "it's all OK" seems to be a systems level issue. In essence if they do nothing the fault gets marked fixed after 36 hours

[ ahh , odd behaviour of this {MSE} site. This was a response to a particular post, not a general comment]
  • ccY
    Options
    same here. I really agree that BT is a rubbish company and they treat their customers so badly.
    I just open a new account with BT. And on the activation date, the internet is still not working. And I called the BT for lots of time to ask for help, no one told me what was going wrong and how shoul I set up the Hub. Then they told me if the problems still not solved, they will send an engineer guy to help.It turns out our hub has not been set up correctly. THE SECOND MONTH, they send a bill to charge me 129.99GBP for the engineering service which is ridiculous. And I called the BT, there is a guy called Michael, who has a really bad altitude, and we had an argument. They said they just going to charge whether I accept or not.

NEVER gonna use BT AGAIN.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Do you mean you did not setup the hub correctly ??
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure