7 kids and counting.......the debt!

Options

Comments

• dingaling
    dingaling Posts: 56 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Did you know you can do jacket potatoes in the slow cooker? I did one the other day and it was awesome, and you can do paella and risotto!

Thanks! I had no idea! thought all you could do was sloppy food! I used to do it after I got in from a night shift but the smell would wake me up and I thought was disgusting so I stopped doing it! I work days now, so time to dust it off!

Going to google recipes.

Also trying to find the key for my gas meter :mad: can't find it in this chaos!
  • giblet1979
    giblet1979 Posts: 864 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You can also do joints of meat, and stuff like Belly Pork. I did the Christmas Turkey Crown (cheap one) in the slow cooker and I thought it might be sloppy but it came out perfect :) x
    Debt remaining: :(
    Mortgage - £117,759 (£134,600, Nov 2013)

Work overpayment and home improvement loan paid back (£19200) :beer:

• dingaling
    Options
    You guys are the slow cooker pros lol! One I get my kitchen back, I can really get cracking on all this stuff!

Went into town today to get DD3 school socks in Matalan, I'm a traditional girl and love the little ankle socks with the matching gingham on them. I can still get away with it as she's only just turned 9! I got size 12-3 but reading the label, they can't be tumble dried, presumably this means they turn into baby socks if I do! I bought 2 packs of 3 (£6). have just got onto tesco.com and they are £4 a pack but are a pack of 5 and they are the larger size. Matalan ones now going back for refund:) Tesco delivering to store tomorrow and 10% discount.

Friend took me into town, so saved on petrol, then he bought coffee also:) then he insisted that he wanted a pizzahut take away pizza which actually was his way of feeding me and the kids because I had refused to go to Nandos with him. He is a great friend and it is lovely to have someone to buy these things but I like to pay my way, I find these things get quite awkward. I have told him recently that I will stop going out to cinema etc with him if he keeps paying! I can't bear the thought of someone thinking I'm taking advantage. We had to wait for the pizzas so I did manage to buy him a drink in the pub next door, £5 for the two of us.
  • dingaling
    Options
    Hello diary:)

I got some overtime yesterday so spnt the day working, I had a student too which is lovely, keeps me company in the car on my visits and I can get coffee made at clinic!

My builders gave me an additional bill yesterday amounting to £3k:eek: I was really expecting it to be around £800. Its for the steels in my extension, my house only looks like its brick built when in fact it has some sort of poured concrete walls and needed a steel box instead of just a support joist. I'm not usually so naive when it comes to these things but clearly I am. It ended up costing me 70 hours in labour plus timber plus the engineers fees.

Also, what is it with builders needing to go and find parts and not coming back?! He got a flea in his ear today as I have just about had enough. Its been 6 months! He turns up at 10, disappears at 3 and has an hour for lunch! Or tells me he doesn't have enough materials for something when he's had said measurements for months. Inefficiency is a huge frustration for me! He got told all this today, he just stood there like he was being told off! I said I need them gone, my boys have their exams and no where to study etc and if he wants me off his back he needs to be here to get the job finished. His excuse for coming at 10 is that he cant get here earlier and that it takes 45 mins. I couldn't give a monkies how far he has to come! He was informed politely but firmly that if he starts late he finishes late. :mad::mad::mad::mad: his partner is here before 8 everyday, but most of the time he has to wait for the other one to turn up with materials etc.

My lovely mum, (what would I do without her?) is going to pay the bill, however I'm not telling the builders that. Im saying I am remortgaging and that cant be done till the job is finished.

Also a new friend wanted me to drive 30 miles to meet her for dinner, she lives about 16 miles from me and has met me over here previously at her choice. I was happy to go to her but she chose somewhere further out. She was pretty peed off that I wouldn't do a 60 mile round trip! What is it with some people?! I offered to meet her half way, I'll see what she says.

Still not done any ebay, only excuse is that I hate it!

£74 payment sent to Next store card:j

I really am moany today! I can't even blame my hormones! Mind you the builders probably did!
  • notanewuser
    notanewuser Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    Options
    £2280 a year on presents seems a bit over the top. Surely savings to be made there.
    Trying to be a man is a waste of a woman
  • dingaling
    Options
    £2280 a year on presents seems a bit over the top. Surely savings to be made there.

Hello:)

I know that seems a lot, I spend £100 on each child for christmas, including stockings and about £60 on each birthday, also the many nieces and nephews and friends birthday parties etc.

I pay £105 a month into my christmas club, this covers everything from pressies to stockings (at least £20 each) and most of the food. I pay £90 into another account for birthdays. March is so expensive! I have 4 of my children (three are triplets) then one at the beginning of April.

I love love love Christmas and whilst I don't go mad, I would struggle to cut it further. It will be the last thing to go.

I need to ring Direct Line about why my home policy is so high, I've looked at comparison sites and it is at least half. I think I have emergency cover for leaks etc, maybe thats it?
  • notanewuser
    Options
    How old are your children?
  • dingaling
    Options
    they are 22,19,17,16,16,16 and 9
  • notanewuser
    Options
    dingaling wrote: »
    they are 22,19,17,16,16,16 and 9

Sorry, but there's no way on earth would I be spending £100 on presents for a 22 year old at Xmas! Surely you could halve it (at least) for the 22 and 19 year olds?! Ditto birthdays?

If you cut it back for the others once they reach 18 that would save you a fair bit!
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,299 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Maybe you don't have any kids notanewuser?
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure