Dancing in the Rain

Options

Comments

• in_need_of_direction
    Options
    Got the highly addictive tyrells. They are so good in a sandwich.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st11lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 40.25% through my pb challenge.
  • in_need_of_direction
    Options
    Cashmere and candles do it for me too. Have you considered coach travel?
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st11lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 40.25% through my pb challenge.
  • MuffinTops
    MuffinTops Posts: 2,477 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello DIA. I hope your weekend is still going well. It's raining here already and looking very glum out so a quiet day indoors for me.

Regarding your time filling spends, is it worth you joining a library and having a book for the days you need to fill time? Maybe along with carrying a little snack bought from a cheaper place (if that's why you pop into a shop) so you're ready for these times rather than sacrificing them? I found that these things worked for me as I didn't give something up, I just prepared better, especially as we aren't always in control of our own time or the train we have to catch.

We have a free paper in London called the metro which has an online and an app version. If you have a smartphone and a wifi connection you're able to download a copy to read when you want to.

i had a scary electrical experience this week so I definitely have to book an electrician!!!!

Have a lovely day. MTxx
  • MuffinTops
    Options
    Hello DIA,
    For me it's definitely about being more aware, prepared or finding a better alternative than actually giving something up. Feeling deprived "encouraged" me to have spend binges.

I'll definitely take on your challenge of getting the electrics fixed. I have:
    Shower change
    3 wall light sockets to change
    2 bathroom studio lights to fix
    1 blown wall socket.

Once they're done I'll report back. I'm off work after this week, so I'm planning on getting it done the first week in March.

Is the blanket a want or a need? How much value can you see yourself getting out of that £39 spend? Will it save money in other areas? ie. no heating on when it's just a bit chilly etc? If you can find a way of that blanket genuinely saving you enough money to quite quickly pay for itself then maybe it's not a bad spend after all? I used to use little fleecy blankets to wrap myself in and so hardly ever put the heating on. This is reflected in the fact that I have a 3 bed house with bad insulation and I pay £28.10 a month on Gas and Electricity combined. I no longer use the blankets as I feel more cosy in big thick soft jumpers and thick socks. Besides, I couldn't do the washing up in a blanket ;)!

I hope you managed to have a nice walk this evening. MTxx
  • Orange_Ena
    Orange_Ena Posts: 1,297 Forumite
    Options
    You'll never guess what?! Today..........I used one of my posh tea towels :eek: Oh I have mixed feelings. I thinks it's going to take some getting used to :rotfl::D

Good luck with your electrical work, and you MuffinTops :)

A book launch DIA! How very exciting :) Can you wear your new dress?

Have a fab week :)
    Debt Apr 15 - £6895.44 :( Apr 17 - £2500 :) Dec 17 - £560 :) July 18 - £199 :D
    CHEFS challenge (Cruise Holiday Entirely Funded by Surveys) - £685.79
    Every penny is a prisoner :D
  • MuffinTops
    Options
    Hello DIA. I don't think you should push yourself too much on tradesmen bookings. Maybe cancel this one and wait until you're feeling better about it! Maybe a week or two until after I've kicked back with my virtual champers!!!!! :D

I'm obviously playing dirty there. :p Seriously you should be very proud of yourself, not just for making a booking but for making the effort to ask around. You're doing great and if you get Thursday off and feel like you need to cancel then come here to vent so we can support you through it.

Nice people like to help and could actually feel hurt if you don't ask them for help when you need it. I've learned that the hard way by inadvertently offending some lovely people.

No excess data is great. I get that too which has really helped in the past. Your council are a lot better than mine for letting you move a payment date. That's nice to hear.

MTxx
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,303 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Go for it girl!!
    Got the carpet estimator coming tomorrow & will phone joiner tomorrow.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • in_need_of_direction
    Options
    Be grateful you have good neighbours. Man next door to me tidies up any rubbish in the street by pushing it into people's hedges!
  • Orange_Ena
    Orange_Ena Posts: 1,297 Forumite
    Options
    Neighbours, everybody needs good neighbours :rotfl:

Another brilliant post DIA, you're really motoring along. Hope tomorrow goes ok with the electrician and the gutter clearing. You'll feel better when that's done.

I love Shropshire Blue cheese, nom nom :D There's a deli near where I work and they make bread with Shropshire Blue and oh, when you take a bite with a nice chunk of cheese, it's heaven :) Scuse the dribbling :rotfl:

Keep on with the positivity and determination, it's lovely to read. Have a good day tomorrow :)
    Debt Apr 15 - £6895.44 :( Apr 17 - £2500 :) Dec 17 - £560 :) July 18 - £199 :D
    CHEFS challenge (Cruise Holiday Entirely Funded by Surveys) - £685.79
    Every penny is a prisoner :D
  • MuffinTops
    Options
    Well done on booking and waiting in for the electrician! Isn't it sickening that you beat your demons and it turns out they're more scared of you!!!! :D

You've done incredibly well putting £600 to debt and treating yourself with the £100. Really pleased to hear the blanket is now yours! The rest of the stuff sounds lovely.

That £600 should make a huge dent and is a big jump towards being debt free. MTxx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure