Passport countersign problem!

Options

Comments

• CakeCrusader
    CakeCrusader Posts: 1,118 Forumite
    Options
    I'd not worry about it - the whole point of all that is about fraud and baddies. If it's just one of those things that you didn't get the right person to sign then deal with it if it's ever picked up. Otherwise, forget it.

When I needed a passport I had nobody that knew me at all - and a landlord at a local pub, who'd recently bought the pub and didn't know me, signed mine .... all was OK.

You need to just forget it and plead ignorance/stupidity/cluelessness if it does get picked up on ... and then get it resolved.

If they do pick up on it/investigate they're just checking for baddies doing bad things ... not for clueless people who goofed.

It was soo hard trying to find someone on that list to sign it, so I was chuffed when A offered to help. I suppose I'm worried that B is actually a !!!!, and a year down the line when I'm at the airport and I get stopped by border control because someone's made a phone call... :eek:
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm not sure how things work (it's my first passport), but I don't think they'd wait until the interview stage. I'm really uncomfortable with it :(
    At your interview you will be asked various questions, some seemingly quite weird, to see your reaction and decide if you are genuine or not. I was trying to find out if there is anything you really need to worry about, because if you are nervous or feeling guilty they will pick up on it. So go ahead and forget about A/B etc, if it does happen to become unstuck you can safely confess and it will just take a bit longer to sort out.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I suppose I'm worried that B is actually a !!!!, and a year down the line when I'm at the airport and I get stopped by border control because someone's made a phone call...
    It's not clear what you are saying B is, but as long as you are who your passport says you are, he is the one who would be in trouble, not you.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • CakeCrusader
    CakeCrusader Posts: 1,118 Forumite
    Options
    eDicky wrote: »
    It's not clear what you are saying B is, but as long as you are who your passport says you are, he is the one who would be in trouble, not you.

Thank you. I just picked the wrong mate to help, the others are doctors, teachers etc :(
  • smudge56
    smudge56 Posts: 643 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Don't worry about it. The interview is to establish your ID. Because you are attending an interview there is not so much emphasis on the countersignatory. You will probably be asked who signed the form for you and all you have to say who it is and how you know them. The length of time you have known them is irrelevant. The fact that you have a letter inviting you for interview means that the passport examiner is happy with your application an all that has to happen is your ID is confirmed
  • Widelats
    Widelats Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    Options
    I was told that this "Countersigner must be a person of standing" is no longer valid, and that anyone can now sign a passport. This countersign thing is the biggest farce that the government insists on, personally i do not know any cops, firemen, lawyers, etc etc etc, none at all, and why should that stop me going to Europe.....well, it does not stop me, passports are no longer absolutely essential to travel and you can get away with a driving licence - not sure how to go about getting a bording pass without a passport but that does not stop anyone travelling by train/coach/car/motorbike around Europe.

Someone correct me if i am wrong.
    Owed out = lots. :cool:
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Widelats wrote: »
    I was told that this "Countersigner must be a person of standing" is no longer valid, and that anyone can now sign a passport. This countersign thing is the biggest farce that the government insists on, personally i do not know any cops, firemen, lawyers, etc etc etc, none at all, and why should that stop me going to Europe.....well, it does not stop me, passports are no longer absolutely essential to travel and you can get away with a driving licence - not sure how to go about getting a bording pass without a passport but that does not stop anyone travelling by train/coach/car/motorbike around Europe.

Someone correct me if i am wrong.

Not having a passport may not stop you travelling to Europe just like it doesn't stop illegal immigrants hiding under HGV's coming into the UK. But just because it doesn't stop you doing it doesn't mean its not illegal!.

I know for a fact that you have to have a passport when travelling in and out of the united kingdom.
  • Widelats
    Widelats Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    Options
    takman wrote: »
    Not having a passport may not stop you travelling to Europe just like it doesn't stop illegal immigrants hiding under HGV's coming into the UK. But just because it doesn't stop you doing it doesn't mean its not illegal!.

I know for a fact that you have to have a passport when travelling in and out of the united kingdom.

Wrong! I saw a young man getting on the plane in front of me with a driving licence, i do not know how he did it but he was on that plane and landed in Edinburgh same as me.

If someone can not get a countersigner, of the high standing kind, it means they are trapped in the UK? I do not believe the high standing countersigning is necessary anymore, and i would like to know what is the facts here as i plan to leave the UK very very soon on my legal rights to go to Europe unhindered, but, it seems that information and facts are missing as i can not find any, i don't want to come back here to UK and i want an Irish passport, but even the Irish authorities do not reply to emails.

Its the people who are clueless, i am sure the rules exist somewhere but how to get the facts i have no clue, i believe the UK authorities would do the same as the Irish and ignore enquiries if i asked them.
    Owed out = lots. :cool:
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    Options
    Wrong! I saw a young man getting on the plane in front of me with a driving licence, i do not know how he did it but he was on that plane and landed in Edinburgh same as me.

If someone can not get a countersigner, of the high standing kind, it means they are trapped in the UK? I do not believe the high standing countersigning is necessary anymore, and i would like to know what is the facts here as i plan to leave the UK very very soon on my legal rights to go to Europe unhindered, but, it seems that information and facts are missing as i can not find any, i don't want to come back here to UK and i want an Irish passport, but even the Irish authorities do not reply to emails.

Its the people who are clueless, i am sure the rules exist somewhere but how to get the facts i have no clue, i believe the UK authorities would do the same as the Irish and ignore enquiries if i asked them.
    Are you drunk? And was the flight to Edinbugh from Ireland by any chance?
  • scumsthorne
    scumsthorne Posts: 57 Forumite
    edited 29 March 2017 at 8:08PM
    Options
    I do not believe the high standing countersigning is necessary anymore..........................i want an Irish passport, but even the Irish authorities do not reply to emails.

Having just got an Irish passport, I can assure you that they require counter-signing. In Ireland this is normally done by the Garda, Outside of Ireland it's a specific group of people who can sign it. (I actually got the vet to sign mine - getting citizenship required getting a solicitor I know to sign it)

You may want an Irish passport (I want to fly first class free with every airline). Wanting something, and being eligible to get it are two different things. If you meet the requirements for citizenship, do it, if you don't, then do something about it like live in Ireland for 5 years.

Why do you think you meet the requirements to be an Irish citizen?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure