Debt Demolisher

Options

Comments

• dieselv2
    dieselv2 Posts: 164 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    Options
    motivated wrote: »
    I have account details at the ready and I completed the online budget tool thingy. Does this mean they will take our debt plan from this? I even considered ringing in sick today :o so I could get started with plenty of time for phonecalls as I believe they close at 6oclock. Naughty I know but I need to know where we are going with all this. Will update later on progress
    M

I forgot about the online tool...doh. Yes give them the reference number (mine began with a W) it gives and they can get your details up.
    Debt As Of 19/3/2021: £16,973 | Current Debt: £9,322 | 54.9% Repaid
  • motivated
    motivated Posts: 3,044 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Hi all

I hope you are all enjoying the weekend (I am now)

Have not updated as things really came to a head here big time over the planned DMP :mad:

Anyway things are calm now and both OH and myself have finally agreed that we need to do it to be able to live a little less stressed than at present.

We have gone through our budget and have a rough idea how much we will be paying each month and OH and I will give employers our new account details for wages this week.

Fingers crossed this will all run smoothly as I am a little anxious as to how things will go :eek:

I plan to ring SC tomorrow and get the ball definitely rolling :T I already rung them once but got cut off and was too late to ring back. Hopefully I will have better luck tomorrow.

Will update on my progress
    M
    Emptying my lake with a teaspoon
  • motivated
    Options
    Hi all

Well we have given new account numbers to employers for wages to be paid into. I doubt very much that mine will go in there this month as I am very close to the cut off date. Fingers crossed it will be fine in March. DH is paid weekly so his should sort itself sooner.

I have survived the phone call to SC and was pleasantly surprised on how nice they were. Quickly putting me at ease and going through all of our options with me. They and we decided that a DMP would be the way forward for us.

All paperwork was received via email whilst I was still on the phone to them. Speedy or what :)

Anyway I now need to figure out a way of printing it off at work away from prying eyes and start organising things ready to take the plunge and get it all sent back.

I feel a lot easier about things to be honest even though SC estimate I will be free of debt in 6 Years & 2 Months :eek: Our plan is to do whatever it takes to knock some time off of this and bring our DFD forward.

We would both dearly love to be free of it all so we don't take it into retirement with us. We are both early 50s and we are seeing this as a goal to aim for.

A bit of a ramble post but if I write it down whats happening I can see that we are actually dealing with it together rather than burying our heads in the sand, arguing, blaming each other and not facing up to it all.

Our main mistakes we have made along the way was consolidating then consolidating again, credit cards and then then transferring balances from one to the other then losing track of when 0% deals run out or even where each debt has gone. Which card its on and how the hell are we going to pay it all back :eek:

Eventually the brown stuff hits the fan at 100 miles an hour and here we are. Basically running out of options so we have had to ask for help.

I hope and pray that it all comes together and runs as smoothly as possible. Many on this forum have given me some excellent advice and encouragement which is what has given me the strength to accept we cannot cope financially any more.

Anyway I will update on our debt busting progress and may ramble now and again :o
    Please feel free to offer any advice or tips and hold my hand as I crawl to my DFD :)
    M
  • motivated
    Options
    Hello DFW diary

Still feeling positive as I have contacted SC again and revised our budget. They were absolutely fine.
    ( note to self, STOP PANICKING) :eek:

My maths is atrocious possibly the reason I am in the boat I am in :o

Anyway I feel positive that we will come out the other side of our long tunnel but I feel that every payment I make will make that tunnel a little shorter. With some hard work and determination we will soldier on and one day will cross the finish line :T

Will update on progress along the way and I'm sure there will be some highs and lows but that's all part of the journey I should imagine.

I will certainly be sticking around and soaking up lots of tips and advice to keep me on the straight and narrow.
    M
  • motivated
    Options
    Today I printed all necessary paperwork and slowly I am getting things together to start our DMP. Still slightly anxious if I'm honest but I keep pushing it to the back of my mind in the hope that things run as smoothly as possible.

DH and I are still firmly in this together and will be working together to sort this mess out.
    Tasks to start Monday when I am off work :j
    • Budget For the week
    • Check all food stocks before shopping
    • Meal plan
    • Batch cook
    • Declutter house and look for things to eBay ( I'm sure we have loads)
    • Check all finances are in order ready for our SC payments to start
    Need to make sure I plan, plan and plan some more from now on

Wish me luck
    M
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    It's brilliant that you and OH are going to work together to sort this out. You read so often on here that one party is bearing the burden alone and the other doesn't even know. You will achieve so much more doing it together. Good luck with your journey.

Bob
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • motivated
    edited 9 February 2017 at 7:40AM
    Options
    Thankyou Boberella
    It wasnt easy at the start i promise you. We had many tears arguments and played the blame game for a long time before we finally realised that after 30 years together we have had many a tough time but came out the other side. This will be just another one of those times.

I hope it all works out for the best

Thanks for your comments they mean alot :)
  • motivated
    Options
    Well so far things seem to be ok. DHs wages have gone into the new account this week that's one hurdle overcome. A few more hurdles to jump before I will feel that things are ticking along nicely. My wages won't go in there this month but I have enough in the new account already to change DDs over so that's a job for me on Monday.

Sorted through food stocks and realised that I don't actually need to do a big shop apart from a couple of bits. Will write a list of essentials only and take cash with me to avoid temptation :p

Managed to reduce our Virgin package and have saved £30 per month. It's amazing what they will do if they think you are cancelling and leaving them

Also plan to list a few things on eBay this week every little helps eh

I feel totally in control at the moment. I think it's because the brown stuff well and truly hit the fan and we have exhausted all other options. The wake up call we desperately needed.

I will be taxing my car for a year today and also doing my insurance for another year. Need to check if I can do it now as well. Then my plan is to put the money I need each week aside and save up for next years. It seems a long way off but I will not have access to CCs to back me up. Actually a Godsend as the hole we are in would just keep getting bigger :eek:

SC paperwork is more or less ready to go back and then there's no going back for us. I actually feel good about taking control and have not been worrying about CC statements coming in as I am telling myself it's either their full payments every month with interest or my sanity, marriage, mental and physical health. Sorry but I know which I prefer.

It is also helping to keep me positive and seeing progress by writing things down on here. I suppose it's by little security blanket

Anyway I'm off to check car insurance
    Back later
    M
  • motivated
    Options
    Just checked car insurance and the renewal date is 13th March so any time then. Will be doing some serious haggling over the price this year :p
    M
  • motivated
    Options
    Have given SC all of our creditors details wages etc and just need to get our DD form sent back in order to (hopefully) get the ball rolling.

Needed to pop to the sorting office today to pick up an undelivered parcel and then went to the corner shop for bread. I managed to only buy bread too and paid with cash :j. This is a big step forward for me as I would have usually bought quite a bit more that I don't need. I need to keep this mindset and save as much as I can.

Payday on Wednesday and I will be able to move any money out and into my new account. My wages will then fingers crossed go into our new account in March. Once my rent,council tax and any priority DDs go out on Wednesday I will be in a position to ring the relevant people and give them new DD details.
    I will then cancel DDs in my current account and this will be another step forward for the Motivated household :T

Feeling organised and positive at the moment :)
    M
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport