electric bikes & mopeds ( epac )

Options

Comments

• Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,688 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Annie35 wrote: »
    See what your saying about road rage but scooters go 30 OR 60 & ragers gonna rage regardless.

That's the problem; people will treat this like a scooter and be unusually annoyed because it's got half the top speed you'd expect. This thing can't keep up with any traffic, anywhere.

If you want something powered that looks like a moped, just get a moped.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,554 Forumite
    Options
    Stoke wrote: »
    I love the kind of ridiculousness in that statement.

Cars run you over because they expect you to move at the same speed.....

OR, cars don't run you over, because they're aware that you're a human on a bicycle and therefore hitting you isn't fair, nor legal.

It doesnt look like a bicycle though, thats the issue. Also due to the lack of noise there will be those that are not even aware you are there.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    Options
    It doesnt look like a bicycle though, thats the issue. Also due to the lack of noise there will be those that are not even aware you are there.

Nonsense.

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/~94AAOSwIWVY-RiC/s-l1600.jpg

That's an ebike. It's currently for sale on eBay. On what planet does that looks like a motorbike?
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'd take my chances on a proper moped - but with 3 wheels for stability (actually because I struggle to reach the ground on any moped, so why not have the luxury of never having to look for a kerb to stop alongside).

I've owned about 3 mopeds, one 125-cc motorcycle and several basic bikes.... I cycle at about 6mph :)
  • Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,796 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Nonsense.

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/~94AAOSwIWVY-RiC/s-l1600.jpg

That's an ebike. It's currently for sale on eBay. On what planet does that looks like a motorbike?

Thats not what the Op's looking at though. They mean one of these:

IMG_20151130_122130.jpg
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    Options
    Andy_L wrote: »
    Thats not what the Op's looking at though. They mean one of these:

IMG_20151130_122130.jpg

Well that's just plain daft.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,554 Forumite
    Options
    Well that's just plain daft.

Exactly and that has been my point all along it looks like a scooter/moped and car drivers may expect it to perform like one and could get closer than they expected rather quickly.

They weigh a lot. It says 38 to 40 kg. I wouldnt be surprised if it actually weighed more with a decent battery pack.

The seat height to pedals is fairly short, and so is the ground clearance between the pedal and road surface.

If you put the left pedal down and turn left your going to have an exciting ride.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    edited 17 July 2017 at 10:13PM
    Options
    The fact the UK have almost banned them, makes me a bit cynical. Are they banned because they're dangerous? Or are they banned because they're essentially an untaxed method of transport and perhaps might have caught on? A 25Mph e-Bike would probably get me to work as fast as when I used my car, although not as fast as the train.

Nail / Head.

Same reason they bought up a 200 year old law to ban the "hoverboards", then they used safety issues to scare people into not buying them.

In truth only a handful out of millions produced ever caught fire and NONE of them were in the UK. There are more cars on sale in the UK which catch fire than there are "hoverboards".

So yes, it's basically about VAT (on the vehicle and on the fuel), the govt doesn't give a damn about reducing pollution or saving the planet or giving those on the lowest incomes a means by which to travel for work, all they care about is money..........

I love the kind of ridiculousness in that statement.

Cars run you over because they expect you to move at the same speed.....

OR, cars don't run you over, because they're aware that you're a human on a bicycle and therefore hitting you isn't fair, nor legal.

When you get on a bicycle, in the eyes of the vast majority, you are no longer human, you are a law breaking non-conformist and you can be killed without consequence.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • Honey_Badger
    Honey_Badger Posts: 767 Forumite
    Options
    Strider590 wrote: »
    In truth only a handful out of millions produced ever caught fire and NONE of them were in the UK.

Perhaps you should contact Sky News and the London Fire Brigade and tell them their wrong?

http://news.sky.com/story/why-are-death-trap-hoverboards-exploding-10335848
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    edited 18 July 2017 at 8:37AM
    Options
    Perhaps you should contact Sky News and the London Fire Brigade and tell them their wrong?

http://news.sky.com/story/why-are-death-trap-hoverboards-exploding-10335848
    The cut-off switch which should activate when the lithium battery is fully charged often doesn't work.
    How can I take that seriously when they clearly don't know what the **** they're talking about?

There is no "cut off switch", there's a charge controller circuit, just like that in a phone, tablet, laptop, vape or anything else that uses lithium batteries and just like anything else that uses lithium batteries, the manufacturer may tell you not to leave the device on charge for extended periods.
    What probably happened was some sort of impact damage to the battery pack causing a short circuit or overheating due to where it was being charged. Basically human stupidity.

And what do I think of those stories? Details are fuzzy, to be honest it looks like propaganda.
    They mention un-fused plugs, well that applies to a lot of devices we own and yet if it doesn't provide untaxable transport they don't give a damn.

I used to work for company that was contacted by a major name retailer regarding making their huge stock of these "safe", but it didn't happen and the retailer got a slap on the wrist for even contemplating it.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure