IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

ParkingEye-v-Beavis Appeal: Date Set

Options

Comments

• Ignite
    Ignite Posts: 352 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ok, (without having read other threads,) if it turns into a contractual charge, at what point does the consumer have a chance to read the contract, and what would the cooling off period be? Would there have to be large signs before the entry to the car park with the charges on so the consumer could make the choice over the charges before they entered (or were committed by being unable to turn around)?

It starts to get very messy if parking enforcement was done via the contractual path.
  • bazster
    bazster Posts: 7,436 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ignite wrote: »
    It starts to get very messy if parking enforcement was done via the contractual path.

Apart from anything else the only thing they could even attempt to enforce this way is overstaying. All the following contractual offers are clearly nonsense and are undeniably disguised penalties:

For £100 you may park without displaying a ticket/permit
    For £100 you may park in a disabled bay
    For £100 you may cause an obstruction
    For £100 you may park on the yellow lines in front of the fire exit

And so on...
    Je suis Charlie.
  • ManxRed
    ManxRed Posts: 3,530 Forumite
    Options
    It should also stipulate the full details of the service being provided.

Can you park there forever or just a limited time?
    Can you go away and return later?
    Can you return in a different car?
    Can someone else return in your car?
    What rights over the space do you get for your £100?

And so on....
    Je Suis Cecil.
  • Ignite
    Ignite Posts: 352 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just to clarify, I'm referring to some of the car parks where you either have to pay for parking or have to enter your registration details in store and ANPR monitors you, rather than car parks with 90mins or 2 hours etc free parking where you have got time to read a contract on a sign.
  • ManxRed
    ManxRed Posts: 3,530 Forumite
    Options
    That's irrelevant though. Either of those scenarios could operate on a contractual charge OR a breach.

It depends on how the sign is worded.

Acceptance of the contract is by you not leaving after you've read the signs. Even in a pay car park or one where you register your reg, there is a grace period for you to get back in the car and leave (although PPCs often ignore this as well, but that's by the by).
    Je Suis Cecil.
  • edward123
    Options
    Just to clarify, I'm referring to some of the car parks where you either have to pay for parking or have to enter your registration details in store and ANPR monitors you, rather than car parks with 90mins or 2 hours etc free parking where you have got time to read a contract on a sign.

I never input my car's reg when their stupid signs instore says I "have" to. No NTK yet. I am there to shop and as long as I do I ignore anything else.
    Got a ticket from ParkingEye? Seek advice by clicking here: Private Parking forum on MoneySavingExpert.:j
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,446 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Where's the discussion on pepipoo, please? It's probably me being incompetent, but I can't seem to find it.

Thanks very much in advance.

ZG.

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?act=SF&s=&f=18
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • nigelbb
    nigelbb Posts: 3,793 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Many of use believe that in a free car park that there is no contract not least because whatever HHJ Moloney might think there is no consideration. Retailers free car parks offer a licence to park just as they offer a licence to enter the store or a licence to use other facilities like toilets or seating. If the conditions of that licence are breached then the driver becomes a trespasser but again any damages must be a GPEOL or the actual loss (in a free car park this will be £0).
  • TDA
    TDA Posts: 268 Forumite
    Options
    bazster wrote: »
    Yeah, whatever. No point in arguing with someone who either hasn't read the statute (the entire statute) or is incapable of understanding it.

Seems to me that you're the one who doesn't understand the statute.

Leaving aside the perfectly valid issues with such an interpretation that spikyone raises (and which you fail to address) it is unclear whether the cancellation rights would even apply to such a contract.

There is no method of distance communication used for it to come within the remit of the 'distance contract' and looking at the definition of ‘off-premises” contract it all relies on the suggestion that the contract does not take place at the ‘business premises’ of the trader, but it seems highly likely that the car park will come under the definition of 'business premises' within the Act.

However, let’s say for arguments sake that it does fit into one of the categories and you are suggesting this gives consumers the right to cancel the contract. It’s clear from the government guidance (https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/310044/bis-13-1368-consumer-contracts-information-cancellation-and-additional-payments-regulations-guidance.pdf) that you cannot cancel a contract where the services have been fully performed (see “What types of contracts are exempt from cancellation rights”? pg. 18-19).

If you think any court is going to rule that consumers have the right to refuse payment where a service has been fully provided to them you are beyond deluded.
    ManxRed wrote:
    It should also stipulate the full details of the service being provided.

Can you park there forever or just a limited time?
    Can you go away and return later?
    Can you return in a different car?
    Can someone else return in your car?
    What rights over the space do you get for your £100?

And so on....

I don't see why? To take the first one as an example, is a hairdresser under an obligation to inform customers that their payment doesn't entitle to them to have their hair cut forever? If the contractual offer doesn't state that you can, for example, return in a different car, you can't. Fairly simple concept.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    TDA wrote: »
    Seems to me that you're the one who doesn't understand the statute.

It seems you're the one who hasn't read the EU guidance in respect of the directive that drives these regulations. They specifically mention parking contracts as being an example of the type of contract covered by the directive. ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure