PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one

Options

Comments

• caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    For "if need be" it's worth checking if "milk and more" deliver in your area. Not organic, but they do deliver the basics without a delivery charge (when I used them for my old mum).

It's like a milkman, but they also drop off other food. Handy between big shops where there are minimum deliveries, if all you want is a pint of fresh milk twice a week and a weekly loaf.

Just had a look at the site and unfortunately not in my area as could be handy for the bits I need other folk to get for me.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Little thought for the day yur - and in case any singles are having difficulty finding suitable size freezer containers for us.

That being the "stack a boxes" that Lakeland does - at £8.69 for a pack of 10 of them.

I find them endlessly useful for a variety of things - having just been using them again this morning for small amounts of fruit to go in the freezer and hauled out another one that I'd put half a can of tomatoes in for the freezer.
  • SunnyGirl
    SunnyGirl Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    Just had a look at the site and unfortunately not in my area as could be handy for the bits I need other folk to get for me.
    Nor mine as I was thinking it would be useful for my parents too.

Good afternoon everyone. Well my son is currently flying at 36,000ft at 626mph having set off from Heathrow at 9am this morning. I don't like flying, I'll do it but I'm not keen, so I'm impressed at him. Especially as he's got another flight from Atlanta to Pittsburgh once he lands.

I am at work again so lunch is a chicken and stuffing sandwich that I liberated from my Mum's fridge last night :D plus some fruit and a yoghurt. Tea is spag bol and supper will be cornflakes or Weetabix as I have boxes of both in. I don't do breakfast ;)

I have plasterers coming tomorrow and Tuesday to strip back and then re-plaster the kitchen wall so that's going to be messy and dusty. I suspect that the dog, the cat and I will retreat to either the living room or a bedroom :rotfl: Must clear the kitchen worktops and table this evening when I get home in preparation.

MITSTM Would the blocks of coconut butter work? I remember my Mum years ago used to mix them with hot water but may be completely wrong.

PN I have been giggling at the thought of you - with trolley - closely perusing the Lidl crumpets for extra thick ones!

HH I am going to check Asda this week for loose produce but think, like you said, that it will be fairly universal.

Faraway The flower is gorgeous it really made me smile!

Caronc Take it easy for a day or two and recoup your energy

That's about it for me today, I don't really do much at weekends with work but at least its an easy job I do.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    SunnyGirl wrote: »
    .... plasterers .... I will retreat .... Must clear the kitchen worktops and table this evening when I get home in preparation.
    I'll just add... NEVER underestimate a workman's sudden need to go somewhere you hadn't even thought of ... with their mucky boots and/or to require a brush/broom/ old plastic bucket, cloth etc.

So try to be prepared for this type of unexpected query too.

There's nothing worse than a workman grabbing Aunty Mary's valuable and genuine Ming vase as they "needed something to catch the dripping water and it looked old". They'll also probably want to poke about anywhere where there's water to be turned off/checked and/or any other piping anywhere .... and they'll want to use your loo (so remove the good towels and stick the cat's towel in there).

I've been 'gardening'. Now, I should explain this activity as it's not like any gardening you've ever seen before. I have loppers, so I cut off a length of bush - that I then drop into a big bucket. Then, I use the loppers to snip every bit of it into tiny pieces, say every 1" of every bit.

I do this because - it means I am then transferring small pieces into rubble sacks, to take to the tip ... and you can get more into the sacks and there are fewer chances for it to get snagged up on other bits if they've all been "hand shredded".

It's a very slow process too as I get dizzy if I bend/stand too much etc.

I've not done much .... but every little helps.

I then had a big fat crumpet - topped with a whole cheese triangle for lunch! I normally split one triangle across two crumpets.
  • SunnyGirl
    SunnyGirl Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    Options
    Ooh good thinking Batwoman! I shall make sure that I have old decorating towels, dust sheets (aka old duvet covers and bed sheets), a bucket, mop and dustpan and brush out too. You're spot on about the 'can I just use your loo, love'? type of query too and I have a dark blue carpet on the stairs. At least not too much damage can be done dirt wise downstairs as all the floors are hardwood/laminate and can be mopped.

BTW your method of gardening is ingenious :):)
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    I'd translate the "where a workman might go (errrr....yep...somehow its always workmen and never workwomen..:cool:)" to:
    - they always want to know where the fusebox/circuit breaker board is
    - they always want to go up into the loft.

These days I tend to save time by just indicating where both are at the outset:cool:

Re - plastering. The thought never crossed my mind that any plaster anywhere (except in quirky "historic" buildings) would be anything other than normal standard. Until I landed up with someone who described himself as a plasterer re-plastering my house during Year 1 in current one.

If the thought had struck me that there are indeed plasterers out there that will plaster walls to anything other than a normal standard - I'd have watched him a LOT more closely - rather than assuming "It will all come out in the wash and it will look normal then". Correction - I wouldnt have employed that particular one in the first place...:cool::mad:
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm having a fed up with food day today. Or in other words a CBA day. Breakfast was two bananas because, well because they were to hand and you just peel and eat and there is no washing up/clearing up involved.

For lunch I have just been greedy, and had a tuna and mayo sandwich with some salad, that has got rid of the last of the tuna that had been hanging around for a few days :j
    Then I had a crumpet with loads of butter.

Dinner is going to be a chicken portion with some new potatoes, veg and some stuffing that I have dug out of the freezer.

I think that another crumpet and possibly a scone will also be consumed today.

For some reason I have got the munchies.

Looking back at this, it is a bit carb heavy but never mind.
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    SunnyGirl wrote: »

I had an architect appointment for what I thought was a plot measure up for a small extension .... so I tidied the downstairs .... by putting it all upstairs. There's no work to be done upstairs ... none at all.

So they arrived and there was general chit chat about it being easy to measure up etc ... and you should see some of the houses they go into, sky high with clutter..... and they kept measuring up ..."right, upstairs now" ... WHAT!!!!

So I had to show them upstairs and as I opened the room door I said ".... and now you know where I put all the clutter" :)
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

For some reason I have got the munchies.

Looking back at this, it is a bit carb heavy but never mind.

Me too. In the past 30 minutes I have had an apple, banana and almond milk smoothie, a huge bag of salted peanuts and a white chocolate Magnum Ice cream...feeling a bit sick now :o
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • PasturesNew
    edited 11 June 2017 at 4:16PM
    Options
    I've been doing that gardening malarky again ... I've now got 3 small rubble sacks of leaves/etc ... that's only taken about 5 hours' work :)

Resting now with a coffee, sit down .... and four choccies.

It's been sunny today, but VERY breezy ...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure