Engagement Rings (merged)

Options

Comments

• Feisty_Fairy
    Options
    Hiya there!

Well i got engaged in June of this year and we did a lot of research before we chose the ring together.

Things to consider are cut of the diamond, solitairs are more expensive than lots of little ones, clarity which determines how fine a diamond is meaning wether it has inclusions or marks etc in the diamond and colour the clearer white the better.

But at the end of the day it doesnt matter what the diamond says on paper because in the end the most important thing is what it signifies!

We decided on an 18 carat brilliant cut solitair 0.78 of a carat (looks bigger because of the cut!). And it is H colour (gets darker the further down the alphabet it gets) so H is very good (F is about the best you will get on the high street, so my jeweller said) and it had 1 tiny inclusion ( i cant see it, but then again i dont have a microscope). Average inclusions are around 5, so again very good!

We got ours for £895 because we offered cash and so he knocked it down from £1125, so it just shows you what they bung on the price!

I would definately advise on going to a small shop (is not H samuels or large chains) as they have better service, advice and are willing to barter!

Good luck and choose carefully because hopefully she will be wearing it for the rest of her life!

But remember the ring she wears on her finger will never be as beautiful as the gorgeous flower you have on your arm! (good idea to tell her this aswell, brownie points!)

Hope this helps!!!!!! Good luck and keep us posted

Regards

Feisty!

P.S According to my Gran it is traditional for the man to spend 1/4 of his annual salary on the ring!!!!!!!!
    Northern bird on the loose!

FORMER MEMBER OF THE 'I :heart2: MY CBFM' TEAM!!!!:D

Mum to 3 lovely boys, 12, almost 8 and baba born 5 weeks early on 12th May 2011:D
  • sal
    sal Posts: 161 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was married for 24 years, then divorced and recently married again.

I had an engagement ring for my first marriage and never wore it. The wedding ring was from the High Street and did the job perfectly. As far as I am concerned with jewellery 'less is more'.

At my recent marriage my husband and I both used wedding rings from my Mum and his Dad as they died a few years ago. They are more precious than any that can be bought in the shops. I didn't want an engagement ring this time.

I also love the idea posted earlier about buying wedding rings and wearing them on the right hand until the wedding, really clever that one, neat.

But if it comes to buying a girl a ring - take her with you - and if she expects you to spend a fortune give her the bus fare home ;D

sal
    you can't take it with you...
  • shoe_addict
    Options
    My fiance proposed with a ring. It was a complete suprise (to him aswell, he only decided 2 days before) and I wouldn't have it any other way. Apparently he sat in the shop waving them around a picked the one that "sparkled" the most ::). He even manged to get the right size - more through luck than judgement. It's only been 4 months, but I haven't taken it off once - he put it on there and thats where it's staying!
    I think whatever the man does will be perfect if you love him, regardless of the ring. As he is saying that he loves you more than anything else in this world and wants to spend the rest of his life with you as you grow old together. So everyone should relax for a minute and just be happy :)
    thanks to everyone one on here for being so friendly and helpfull
  • Mum_the_nut
    Options
    My Parents are divorced and I hated seeing my Mum's old engagement ring in her jewellery box collecting dust so i asked he if I could have it, of course she said yes. What do you think I use it for now??? It didn't cost us a thing but it means so much more to me than a shop bought on and of course it saved us a bundle!! ;)
  • sparkle_3-2
    Options
    Hi
    My boyfriend and i are planning to get an engagement ring this weekend!
    But we are a little strapped for cash!!
    Any ideas on where to go or any special offers info??
    Thanks Everyone!!!!!
  • Poppy9
    Poppy9 Posts: 18,833 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you are strapped for cash why not go to a small jobbing jeweller - usually find them working as repairs. Often they will handmake jewellery for you. You could reuse stones from old jewellery or buy a new stone. As most retail jewellers mark up x4 it usually works out cheaper to have a ring made. Also you can pick out your stone and mount and have exactly what you want.
    :) ~Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone.~:)
  • Mr_P_5
    Mr_P_5 Posts: 810 Forumite
    Options
    how much are you looking to spend?

if you go to a small jeweller or any for that matter go with a budget in mind! i did this. i went to a smaller jeweller and gave my budget.. when they sorted everything else out i said either give me money off or can you give me a better stone etc! in the end they went cheaper and i was able to use that ring for a good meal out+suprise engagement!
    £2008 for 2008 club No. 286
    Jan wins - £213, Feb wins - £55.80 March Wins - £27
    (left to go: £1712.20)
  • Neil_Lamin
    Options
    As a Rule of Thumb:

You should spend a months wage on an engagement ring...and weeks wage on a wedding ring !

If you want to be a Super fiance', may i suggest a bespoke jeweler's who will provide a service which is second to none!

If you are from the Derby area....try Michael Hall .... FANTASTIC
  • Ampalian
    Options
    I'll declare my professional interest in this thread right off the bat. I am an online jeweller and my family have been in the trade for 40 years. I offer my advice genuinely and not as a shameless plug.

The High Street price of jewellery is justified. When you are in a jewellery store you have to take into account that you are generally standing on some of the most expensive retail square footage in the town. The rent and rates on this store are very high. Look around and the fixtures and fittings, usually luxurious. That all costs money. Look how many smart staff there are. They have to be paid. Then consider that the store may be carrying half a million pounds worth of stock, or more, which has to be financed. Then think of the security overheads and the insurance premiums.

If you want all of that, and some people do, be aware that it is rightly part of the purchase price that you will pay.

There are alternatives.
  • Banshee_2
    Options
    First of all congrats on your forthcoming engagement.
    It may well be worth looking in jewellers for antique rings if your fiancee likes old jewellery. They are by far better value. However I suggest you let your fiancee choose her own - she has to wear it!

Banshee
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport