What is the average electricity units per day?

Options

Comments

• espresso
    espresso Posts: 16,446 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    moonrakerz wrote: »
    If you wish to go onto Economy 7, or similar, you will need two meters.

Usually only one meter that records two sets of readings.

BUT... this only becomes economical if you use a lot of electricity at night, storage heaters etc, because you will pay more for your daytime units than you would on a single rate !

Define a lot. It varies from region to region an supplier to supplier but with some the break even point is only 10% night units.
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • mikeopvc
    mikeopvc Posts: 912 Forumite
    Options
    Basically best to just stay on single rate and turn off everything at night, inc costly under floor heating.
    Why the heck I've had it on during the night for the last 3 months I'll never know, oh well another lesson learnt. DOH!
  • sharoncs
    Options
    Ive used 2500+ for electricty from 14 Dec to 12 March - I take it this is too high?! I've only got a 2 bed terrace thats empty all day!
  • burnsguitarman
    Options
    Any economy 7 meter (you will have 2 dials) works by having a tariff for day rate which is higher than non E7, and automatically switches over to night rates (which are cheaper) at a pre determined time set by your supplier. These tariffs are only suitable for someone having storage heaters or similar. These heat up over the night period and release the heat during the day. If you don't have storage heaters and dont use lots of electricity for any thing else overnight, you will certainly be paying more than you need for your electricity. In which case you need to speak to your supplier about changing tariffs as soon as possible.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    sharoncs wrote: »
    Ive used 2500+ for electricty from 14 Dec to 12 March - I take it this is too high?! I've only got a 2 bed terrace thats empty all day!

The size of your property doesn't affect electricity consumption if you don't use electricity for heating.

If 2,500kWh(units) in 3 months excludes heating and Hot water then it is very high - about 3 times national average.

If it does include heating and HW then it is good.
  • moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    espresso wrote: »
    ........... Originally Posted by moonrakerz viewpost.gif
    If you wish to go onto Economy 7, or similar, you will need two meters.

Usually only one meter that records two sets of readings.

BUT... this only becomes economical if you use a lot of electricity at night, storage heaters etc, because you will pay more for your daytime units than you would on a single rate !

Define a lot. It varies from region to region an supplier to supplier but with some the break even point is only 10% night units.

I used to be pedantic, but I just nit-pick now ! :rolleyes:
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    moonrakerz wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

Hey moonrakerz,

Can I join in the nitpicking mode?

I have never seen a figure as low as 10%, but of course will take your word that it is possible. I would be interested to see that tariff and consumption some time though.

So entering 'nitpicking mode' !!

The break even point often is irrelevant, what matters is the overall cost.

i.e. there is no point in selecting a tariff with a 10% break even point and paying, say, £500pa on your consumption, when a tariff with a 20% break even point costs you, say, £450 for the same level of consumption.

To illustrate I am on a fixed tariff that is probably the cheapest in UK, yet for my level of consumption the break even point is 36%. Going to another tariff with a 10% break even point would cost me more overall.

Actually I did once try to work out some figures on the question of 'break even point' but it gets immensely complicated with all the variable factors; so - I gave up.
  • mikeopvc
    mikeopvc Posts: 912 Forumite
    Options
    Can I nitpick too, I'm obsessed with kwh usage now. I've been switching things off and on in my house to see how fast the little red light on my meter flashes, I found that using all 4 electric hobs makes it flash at a rate of 2 per second. Based on this evidence I think it may be less expensive to go out for a sunday roast.
  • espresso
    espresso Posts: 16,446 Forumite
    Options
    mikeopvc wrote: »
    Can I nitpick too, I'm obsessed with kwh usage now. I've been switching things off and on in my house to see how fast the little red light on my meter flashes, I found that using all 4 electric hobs makes it flash at a rate of 2 per second. Based on this evidence I think it may be less expensive to go out for a sunday roast.

It should be stated on the meter but normally they flash at a rate of 1000 flashes per kWh. If you check the wattage figures for your four electric hobs, your meter flashes should agree.

80u9o5h.gif

I do enjoy my Sunday roast though!

:doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    I have never seen a figure as low as 10%, but of course will take your word that it is possible. I would be interested to see that tariff and consumption some time though.

Actually, the 10% figure wasn't mine; the "quote" function wouldn't let me "quote" a "quote", so I had to cut and paste. My text is in the black, espresso's in red.

While we are in full nit-picking mode ! to respond fully to espresso's post:-

1. You do have TWO meters for Economy 7 - you can't get two readings off one meter ! the two meters may well be in the same housing but they are still two meters.
    In the stone age when I was a lad, you used to have two separate housings, one black and one white if I remember.
    2. My use of the word "lot" came from the fact that the OP didn't seem to use much power at night so the usage would have to increase a "lot" by the use of storage heaters or such to make it worthwhile.

I hope you were paying attention, because I may be asking questions later ! ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure