LISA info when buying with partner

Options
Hi all,

This is my first post so be gentle! !!!128521; I’m going to get a LISA before the end of this tax year and put in the £4000. I will be buying a house for the first time however I will be buying with my partner who already owns her own house, does this stop/affect me using the LISA?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Welcome to the forums.

You are fine provided you individually qualify. It has to be a proper purchase using registered solicitors - you can't use the LISA if you are just getting added to your partner's mortgage or land registry records.
  • RJM19882018
    Options
    How do you mean individually qualify? Surely as she has her own property she wouldn’t qualify for one? The plan is for me to save as much as possible and she uses some of her equity from her current property and we put it together as a deposit?
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 4 March 2018 at 9:25PM
    Options
    How do you mean individually qualify? Surely as she has her own property she wouldn!!!8217;t qualify for one? The plan is for me to save as much as possible and she uses some of her equity from her current property and we put it together as a deposit?

You would need to individually qualify (under 40, FTBer, etc) and be making a qualifying purchase (under £450k, with mortgage, etc) and you could use your LISA towards the purchase. Your partner would not qualify (unless they want the LISA to invest for retirement) but you could still buy together and use your LISA with bonuses.
  • RJM19882018
    Options
    Sorry for sounding stupid but you said we both need to qualify which my partner doesn’t, so how can I use mine with her if she doesn’t qualify?
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Sorry for sounding stupid but you said we both need to qualify which my partner doesn’t, so how can I use mine with her if she doesn’t qualify?
    Alexland's wording was perhaps slightly ambiguous - 'you individually qualify' was intended to mean 'you (singular) personally qualify' not 'you (plural) each qualify'.
  • RJM19882018
    Options
    Ok thanks for clearing that up, with regards to paying into it, I’ve signed up now but do I have to put the 4000 in one lump or can I do it here and there before the end of the tax year?
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    Options
    Ok thanks for clearing that up, with regards to paying into it, I’ve signed up now but do I have to put the 4000 in one lump or can I do it here and there before the end of the tax year?

Either is fine. You can make several deposits or just one.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure