Is NOW a good time to invest money in Natwest stock and share account?

Options
Hi

I am thinking of investing about £25000 in the Natwest Adventurous stock and share account which charge a 5% upfront fee. Is now a good time to invest in such account and are there any better investment accounts?

I appreciate any suggestions

Comments

• opinions4u
    opinions4u Posts: 19,411 Forumite
    Options
    Go and see an IFA.

They'll identify a better fund and will almost certainly have lower charges too.

Don't buy investment products from high street banks.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    There is never a good time to invest in Natwest investments or any other bank. Expensive and low quality and "advised" under a sales process that is designed for mass sales by low skilled sales reps to low knowledge consumers generally at the lower end of the market.

If you want to invest and cannot DIY then use an IFA. Do not use a bank.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • jonj123
    jonj123 Posts: 189 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the replies so far, but how much interest are the IFA likely to generate every year? How much do they charge? and can they be trusted?
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,225 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    jonj123 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies so far, but how much interest are the IFA likely to generate every year? How much do they charge? and can they be trusted?

They can probably be trusted more than a sales person in a bank:)
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • LeeSouthEast
    LeeSouthEast Posts: 3,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    5% ?? Walk away... do it yourself for considerably less and probably more chance of success (or an equal chance of losing) if you do some homework first.
    Starting Debt: ~£20,000 01/01/2009. DFD: 20/11/2009 :j
    Do something amazing. GIVE BLOOD.
  • dunstonh
    Options
    You were willing to accept a sales rep from a bank but have concerns over an independent. Havent you got that the wrong way round?

Banks account for the minority of regulated transactions but have over half the complaints at the FOS. IFAs handle the majority of regulated transactions but have under 2% of complaints at the FOS (and only around 1/3rd of those get upheld).

You never know what investment returns will be but compared to the Natwest fund you were looking at, an IFA would offer cheaper investments and options that you would expect to be bet better.

The FSA published averages for commission is 1.8% on collectives. The typical IFA maximum is 3%. Natwest is 5%. With just £20k you are not likely to get close to the 1.8% but you shouldnt be likely to exceed the 3%. Either way, its better than natwests 5%.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • jonj123
    jonj123 Posts: 189 Forumite
    Options
    What are the interest figures that IFA can offer? When I went to Natwest the salesperson showed me figures of around 10-20% a year for the last 4-5 years (with the exception being 2 years ago when it went down by 20%.)

Also do Natwest or IFAs offer money back guarantee if I decide to take my money out after a month or 2 - i.e. get my initial investment back without being charged 3 or 5%?
  • turbobob
    turbobob Posts: 1,500 Forumite
    Options
    These investments don't pay interest, and they can't be compared to a bank account. They go up and down in value. In general the higher the risk the greater the potential rewards but also the greater the potential losses. Funds that perform best when the market is going up tend to lose value the quickest when the market is going down.. An IFA would have access to lots of options taking in very low risk to very high risk funds.
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Options
    jonj123 wrote: »
    What are the interest figures that IFA can offer? When I went to Natwest the salesperson showed me figures of around 10-20% a year for the last 4-5 years (with the exception being 2 years ago when it went down by 20%.)

Also do Natwest or IFAs offer money back guarantee if I decide to take my money out after a month or 2 - i.e. get my initial investment back without being charged 3 or 5%?

If you are talking about investments in general no-one can honestly offer anything. Values can go up or down. For example over the past year my best investment went up 80%, my worst one dropped 30%.

Past performance of investments is no guarantee of future performance. However in general over a suitably lengthy period, say 5+ years, most go up, and go up more than any savings.

There are no guarantees and no return of initial investment, prices are whatever they are at the time.

So you should be looking at a wide diversity of investments to ensure the poor performance of one doesnt have a major impact. Assuming you dont need access to the money in less than 5 years you could put say £5000 in a 3-5 year fixed term savings account, £10000 in a equity unity trust, £5000 in a bond unit trust and £5000 in something more adventurous such as a far east unit trust. This is an example, not a recommendation.

Most investments can be bought through anyone - they arent dependent on which salesman or IFA you go to .

So - go to an IFA. he should discuss with you what you want to get out of your £25000 over what time period and how much risk you are prepared to take. The advantage of an IFA is that they are likely to be cheaper and more likely to focus on your individual needs rather than what the bank is keen to sell.
  • dunstonh
    Options
    What are the interest figures that IFA can offer?

Interest has nothing to do with it. Investments zig zag in value and you don't know what is going to happen. In some years you get gains, some years losses. Over time you average these out.
    When I went to Natwest the salesperson showed me figures of around 10-20% a year for the last 4-5 years (with the exception being 2 years ago when it went down by 20%.)

Did they also tell you that year to date its performing at rank 56 out of 72 in its sector (albeit small sector). And that over the last 12 months it is performing at 48th out of 69?

Did they also verify the risk as medium/high and typically not suited to someone that has had no previous investment experience?

Did they also tell you that they were telling lies? You say you were told it was making around 10-20% a year for the last 4-5 years. However, the fund was launched on 9th June 2008. It only has been runnning for just over 2 years. Since launch and before initial charge, it has only made 1.1% in total (not per annum - if you invested that day, you would be up 1.1% now - although with their 5% charge you would be down 3.87%).

You dont get money back guarantees on conventional investments. And you certainly shouldnt be using investments if you need money in 2 months time. This sort of investment is really a 5-10 year plus timescale.

It is becoming clear that Natwest are living up to their expectation in selling you an inappropriate investment without any explanation of what it does and using misinformation to get the sale.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure