Enforcement by distraint

Options

Comments

• Molly41
    Molly41 Posts: 4,919 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    [QUOTE=fogartyblue.;52272833
    Putting a family asleep upstairs out on the street at 7am and the shop on the ground floor padlocked against re-admission - great fun, very distressing, I hated that part of my job, but my dad loved it - he was nicknamed by all in the area he met as 'Hitler'!![/QUOTE]

Hopefully he (and you) will get your just resorts in Heaven. What comes around goes around :eek::eek::eek:
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over and through me. When it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    When the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
  • fogartyblue.
    fogartyblue. Posts: 482 Forumite
    Options
    Molly41 wrote: »
    Hopefully he (and you) will get your just resorts in Heaven. What comes around goes around :eek::eek::eek:

Unfortunately it was just a job for both of us. Working for the government is not all tea & biscuits! That was what they paid us to do as civil servants. You never question an instruction it is something that has to be done, like it or not.
  • wheezy57
    wheezy57 Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    Options
    I'm sorry but in my opinion you have failed to take action about the debt for 4 years.

But your argument is that 'HMRC didn't send me the form, and I heard nothing more from them - so I got on with my life and ignored the situation'

You cannot go round blaming HMRC with this, it is not for them to hold your hand - you should have been proactive!

Yes there is a Distraint Warrant which says that on the available evidence before the court you owe the money!

It's not for anybody to push you along to sort it out - you have responsibilities both to yourself and to HMRC which you clearly haven't engaged in!
    Whos blaming them!! My main worry is that I have not been informed of proceedings concerning me and now I have to be proactive in proving them wrong and me - INNOCENT. I was proactive in 2008 but it came to nought. Four years later it rears its ugly head again. So again I am being positive and want to get it cleared up once and for all.

You also state - wrongly - that I ignored the debt. I didnt know I had a freaking debt. They sent a letter saying I owed them money - no says I I do not. Prove it says I. They came back with nothing for 4 YEARS.
    I am not the bludy Fugitive. I have lived here continuosly for 6 years, the phone number is the same as its always been so why the hell havent they been in touch. Im hardly Bin Laden. One, still in this country I believe is entitled to full and fair proceedings and yet you whoever you are have me drawn and quartered without allowing me a word of defence.

Having thought that you must be so proud of your Dad - well, he must be punching the air with pride for you his son.....
  • wheezy57
    wheezy57 Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    Options
    I am so glad that the poster who stands in vindictive judgement over me doesnt know that facts. I do. He doesnt. Wow, what a guy.
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    wheezy57 wrote: »
    I am so glad that the poster who stands in vindictive judgement over me doesnt know that facts. I do. He doesnt. Wow, what a guy.

Please ignore him and the others. There are posters on here who are very judgemental which is totally against the spirit of this forum.

Did you try Payplan?
  • BurnleyBob
    BurnleyBob Posts: 368 Forumite
    Options
    Unfortunately it was just a job for both of us. Working for the government is not all tea & biscuits! That was what they paid us to do as civil servants. You never question an instruction it is something that has to be done, like it or not.

What a load of cobblers!

You and your old man chose to become government drones and you also chose to follow orders.

You did what you did because you wanted to do it. No-one forced or coerced you to.

Take all the responsibility for your own free will choices instead of trying to substitute blame.
  • fogartyblue.
    Options
    wheezy57 wrote: »
    Whos blaming them!!
    You are for not contacting you.

My main worry is that I have not been informed of proceedings concerning me and now I have to be proactive in proving them wrong and me - INNOCENT. I was proactive in 2008 but it came to nought. Four years later it rears its ugly head again.
    And in those intervening four years what did you do to find out what was happening - nowt!

So again I am being positive and want to get it cleared up once and for all.
    Better late than never I suppose! Shame you didn't consider it important enough to do something about it over the past 4 years.

You also state - wrongly - that I ignored the debt. I didnt know I had a freaking debt. They sent a letter saying I owed them money - no says I I do not. Prove it says I.
    So you were told by HMRC that you owed them money in 2008 - to me that is a debt!
    You said you don't. When you hear nothing after asking them to prove it - what did you do - nowt!
    You thought that as they hadn't contacted you it must have been sorted out - how?
    Did it not dawn on you that your letter or note of a telephone call had been mislaid by them and as far as they were concerned you were ignoring them?

They came back with nothing for 4 YEARS.
    I am not the bludy Fugitive. I have lived here continuosly for 6 years, the phone number is the same as its always been so why the hell havent they been in touch. Im hardly Bin Laden.
    I keep saying this, it was for you to be proactive and not let it rest until you had an agreemnt from them that you didn't have a debt. Why should they chase you? They made you aware that there was a problem in 2008 but you did not settle the matter with them.

One, still in this country I believe is entitled to full and fair proceedings and yet you whoever you are have me drawn and quartered without allowing me a word of defence.
    The simple truth is that you just got on with your life and didn't give it a thought for 4 years. HMRC haven't got the time or the manpower to chase up people. You did not prove to them at the time that there was no debt.

Having thought that you must be so proud of your Dad - well, he must be punching the air with pride for you his son.....

I have dealt with many people in similar situations as you in the past.
    The stock answer you will get from HMRC is that you were made aware that there was possibly a problem in 2008 with a debt.

"Why did you not contact us earlier or having sent a letter to us in 2008 and not having received a reply, did you not consider it appropriate to contact us to see what was happening?"

Personally I have many ongoing matters with both the DWP and HMRC, if I do not receive a reply within 30 days I contact them again. I had one matter with the Pension Service that went on from October 2009 until March 2011. In all of that time I had written 42 letters and received 10 replies! I had made 27 telephone calls, but no one returned any of them. I escalated the matter to my MP. All in all, that particular matter now fills 2 A4 ring files of evidence that I contacted them. They did not have a leg to stand on!

There isn't a day that goes by that I don't write a letter, reminder or deal with a reply.

That's what I mean about being proactive - they expect you to do that!!
  • fogartyblue.
    Options
    BurnleyBob wrote: »
    What a load of cobblers!

You and your old man chose to become government drones and you also chose to follow orders.

You did what you did because you wanted to do it. No-one forced or coerced you to.

Take all the responsibility for your own free will choices instead of trying to substitute blame.

eh?

Yes we chose to be civil servants with the ideas that we both wanted to ensure that the law was fairly applied to everyone.
    Yes we had to follow orders, much the same as in the Armed Forces.

If I refused to carry out my duties as an officer of HMRC and as an officer of the High Court, where do you think my job would have gone?

Errr sorry guv, I don't fancy carrying out that action, it goes against my beliefs!!

Get real, the job had to be done, the pride in the job was ensuring that every UK citizen was given the same treatment - fair and impartial.

Parts of the job were awful, parts of it I hated, but overall I felt as though I had carried out my duties as sworn to the Queen that I would.

And along the way I helped many people that were suffering through lack of knowledge of the law.
  • wellynever
    wellynever Posts: 908 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We all know the HMRC could not get anything wrong :D

We also know they cannot organise a party in a brewery :D
  • BurnleyBob
    BurnleyBob Posts: 368 Forumite
    Options
    eh?

Yes we chose to be civil servants with the ideas that we both wanted to ensure that the law was fairly applied to everyone.
    Yes we had to follow orders, much the same as in the Armed Forces.

If I refused to carry out my duties as an officer of HMRC and as an officer of the High Court, where do you think my job would have gone?

Errr sorry guv, I don't fancy carrying out that action, it goes against my beliefs!!

Get real, the job had to be done, the pride in the job was ensuring that every UK citizen was given the same treatment - fair and impartial.

Parts of the job were awful, parts of it I hated, but overall I felt as though I had carried out my duties as sworn to the Queen that I would.

And along the way I helped many people that were suffering through lack of knowledge of the law.

Well, at least you acknowledged that you chose to become civil servants. But I suspect that the prime motive was the pay, perks and pension on offer rather for any altruistic public service reasons. Am I correct or being cynical?

The armed forces are all volunteers too. But once they choose to join they follow orders or risk a spell in a military clink, unlike civil servants.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure