British Gas repair

Options
The past few days I had noticed I can hear the boiler running at odd times when the nest themostat was not calling for heat and hot water.

We moved into a house in November and are still getting used to the conventional hot water/ heating system with tank for hot water as we are used to combi boilers. The boiler is a Ideal Logic + 24 and is 2 yrs old.

On doing a bit of research I suspected it was the Honeywell V4073A 3 way valve which was at fault. The boiler was showing c to show it was calling for heat. The rads were cold so gathered it was the hot water tank.

When we stayed with BG on moving they gave us a free boiler "service" and a basic Cover plan where you just pay £60 excess.

I booked the callout last night and he has just been and I do not quite trust what I have been told, especially as powerflush was mentioned within seconds of arrival so thought I would ask here 😁

The guy reckons we need a powerflush urgently as there is sludge in the system causing the valve to stick. He says he has freed it up with wd40 but cannot replace the valve as it will happen again without the flush.

He pulled up the records for the previous owners as they had BG cover. He said they had a powerflush 10 years ago but were advised the radiators required replacing. We have started to change over to new radiators on decorating each room but still have a lot to do so seems mad to powerflush with old radiators.

The house is 1980 build and we wanted more efficient radiators anyway which my OH changes one by one.

Im annoyed he would not change the valve and has said if it happens again its our fault as they have advised it needs flushing. Im annoyed with myself as I have paid £60 for his sales waffle.

What do you think? Also should it need a flush after 10 years?

Thanks on advance

Xx

Comments

• footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You could raise a formal complaint if you wish.

But if you want a new valve fitted, any local heating engineer should be able to fit one for you.
    But be aware that without the powerflush, then the new valve may fail soon too as the BG engineer has stated.

I suspect you don't need any radiators this time of year, and presumably you hope to have them all replaced before you do need to start using them.
    If the BG engineer has freed the valve, then ensure it remains on hot water only whilst you carry out renovations including replacement of all radiators, then get the powerwash, then get a new valve ... all in time for winter :)
  • ladymarmalade222
    Options
    Thanks. I reposted as I might have put it in the wrong forum.

So is what he is saying feasible or just another Powerflush sales ploy?

I was just concerned due to their sales tactics on powerflush sales.

We are replacing the rads but have 12 more to go and this is a blumming cold house so I often need the heating on for a short time even at this time of year. We are slowly sorting out better insulation, draughty windows etc but will not get credit so bit by bit.

Thanks again

Xx
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If the system is full of sludge, then it is entirely feasible that such sludge will damage the valve (as the BG suggests has happened to the existing one)

You need to have the system flushed clean and new inhibitor added to the correct concentrartion to try and prevent it happening again.

The issue with replacing the radiators individually is that each time you replace one, you will top up system with water (to replace what is lost/contained in the old radiator) and so deplete the concentration of inibitor in the system.

You could try and top us with a bit of inhibitor each time, but that will be difficult.

Also, pumping around sludge laden water could also lead to damage to other items such as the pump and possibly won't be doing the new rads much good either.

What I would suggest if the previous proposal is not feasible for the reasons you say is as follows:

Have the system flushed now, and a new valve fitted. Then wait until you have all radiators available to fit, drain the system completely, fit all new radiators, and then refill with new inhibitor to correct concentration.
  • ladymarmalade222
    Options
    I also noticed that there is some magna filter thing fitted under the pump. I think this was fitted 2 yrs ago when the new boiler went in. If this was fitted would it be possible they would have had a powerflush at the same time?

The previous owners seemed to have lots of callouts with BG, had powerflush 10years ago but then used a local fitter when the new boiler went in 2 years ago.

Also the BG engineer diagnosed sludge in the system before he even did anything, hence me feeling dubious. How would he know?

Thanks for your help

Xx
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,609 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    IMO if you are changing the rads then it's quite easy to flush the crud out of the system yourself. It's not really rocket science. If you desperatey wanted a power flush then it's easy enough to to hire the equipment to do it yourself.

If you are competent enough to change radiators then the rest (including changing a three way valve) shouldn't be beyond you
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • firefox1956
    firefox1956 Posts: 1,548 Forumite
    Options
    Mmmmmm.....if a new boiler was fitted 2 years ago the system 'should' have been flushed then ??
    I thing quite a few BG engineers are blessed with xray vision though regarding sludge.
    Surely hubby can change the motorised valve ??
    Around £50.00 at a guess.
    HTH
  • ladymarmalade222
    Options
    Ok..I managed to dig out the boiler booklet and it has details in the back of the fitter.

Also it states it had a chemical flush, inhibitor and magna clean. The magna filter was right in front of him and I mentioned it had been fitted with the boiler so wouldnt a flush have been done at the same time? No he said, you def need a flush as there is so much sludge in the system.

He also tried to get me to swap the 2 yr old boiler for a new combi while we were at it offering to quote for that. Hence the reason I did not trust the outcome.

Anyway, I have called to put in a formal complaint and they are sending a different engineer on Thursday to fit the part that should have been fitted today.

The scare tactics they use are awful. He said it was damaging the boiler everyday and the pump would fail shortly, this was all without touching any of the pipework, radiators etc.

So angry!

Xx
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It really does sound a bit iffy, does it not? I would definitely make a formal complaint and at least mention the word "compensation"; it does tend to focus their attention. Gotta say, I would never have had BG install our new boiler had their offer not been so good; they actually were cheaper than a local independent as we just happened to hit their half-price sale. Once the year was up and the rest of the heating system was no longer covered, only the boiler they installed, they sent numerous scare-tactics letters trying to get us to take out boiler cover. Why should we when it is under guarantee?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure