PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Tenant Fees - Infuriating

Options

Comments

• DavidF
    DavidF Posts: 498 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    All this arrogance towards the poor by the upper middle classes and above has come back to bite them in the backside in the past and will do so again. Come the revolution I think many letting agents and landlords will be dressing up as renters to escape the chop:eek: until then "they" win.
  • SnooksNJ
    Options
    With immigration at 300k a year, I suggest you get in and get your head down.
    I am interested in your research indicating that I am personally responsible for what estate agents charge.
  • Naf
    Naf Posts: 3,160 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Guest101 wrote: »
    ... life isn't fair.

Therefore screw anyone who wasn't born in the "right" place, or didn't inherit money, or a million other things which are entirely not their fault? There's a theoretical possibility for them to become a millionnaire, so that makes everything fair?

State welfare might as well just buy everyone a lottery ticket twice a week and leave it at that, huh?
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    - Mark Twain
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon: no matter how good you are at chess, its just going to knock over the pieces and strut around like its victorious.
  • marksoton
    marksoton Posts: 17,516 Forumite
    Options
    Naf wrote: »
    Therefore screw anyone who wasn't born in the "right" place, or didn't inherit money, or a million other things which are entirely not their fault? There's a theoretical possibility for them to become a millionnaire, so that makes everything fair?

State welfare might as well just buy everyone a lottery ticket twice a week and leave it at that, huh?

Everyone in this country has opportunity. It's a question of whether they choose to take it.
  • Naf
    edited 23 September 2016 at 10:52AM
    Options
    marksoton wrote: »
    Everyone in this country has opportunity. It's a question of whether they choose to take it.

On paper it may look that way, but in reality its simply not true.

EDIT: Its like sitting on the side of the swimming pool, watching someone get pushed in the deep end, and telling them, "the steps are over there", then blaming them when they don't climb out.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    - Mark Twain
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon: no matter how good you are at chess, its just going to knock over the pieces and strut around like its victorious.
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    DavidF wrote: »
    All this arrogance towards the poor by the upper middle classes and above has come back to bite them in the backside in the past and will do so again. Come the revolution I think many letting agents and landlords will be dressing up as renters to escape the chop:eek: until then "they" win.

Many LLs are not middle class
  • Guest101
    Options

Where is the 'right' place?
    I think the vast majority of letting agents and lls didn't 'inherit money'. Who exactly are you talking about? And why is it a problem for a family to pass on their wealth to their children?

Who's 'fault' is it? Or is there no fault at all in reality?

There's a real possibility for everyone to live comfortably, whether they choose to do so, is not my fault, nor the governments fault? - it's called life
  • Guest101
    Options
    On paper it may look that way, but in reality its simply not true.

EDIT: Its like sitting on the side of the swimming pool, watching someone get pushed in the deep end, and telling them, "the steps are over there", then blaming them when they don't climb out.

No it's like offering everyone swimming lessons, then offering those who didn't bother first time additional lessons....

Time to take personal responsibility
  • Naf
    Options
    Who exactly are you talking about?

I'm talking about the vast diufference in opportunity for basic living standards between the rich and poor.

And why is it a problem for a family to pass on their wealth to their children?

I never said it is.

Who's 'fault' is it? Or is there no fault at all in reality?

I've also never said anyone is at fault. In fact, thats precisely my point, isn't it! Just because some vague tiny possibility exists that people might be able to catch the right piece of luck doesn't make everything fair.
    Your definition of fair is that the same obstacles are in everybody's way, ignoring the fact that everybody's capability to overcome those obstacles is completely different. My definition is that everybody should have the same recourse to things to help them overcome those obstacles. Some people will still manage further/higher/faster goals - but everybody has to be able to accomplish enough to keep living.

There's a real possibility for everyone to live comfortably

No, there really isn't; thats the point I'm attempting to make. A chance exists, and it effectively comes down to exactly that, luck. Thats fine when it comes to striking it rich, but not when it comes to being able to live a decent life.

No it's like offering everyone swimming lessons, then offering those who didn't bother first time additional lessons....

no, no it's not. You're still only prepared to focus on people who have refused to help themselves at some point. Aside from the obvious callousness of cutting people off based on singular decisions made as a youth, you're still avoiding the very real issue that many people are in these situations through absolutely no fault of their own.
    - Mark Twain
  • Guest101
    Options
    I'm talking about the vast diufference in opportunity for basic living standards between the rich and poor.

I disagree, the opportunity for 'basic living standards' is afforded to everyone. What you're saying is that some people are more easily afforded this.

I never said it is.

apologies, that's the message I was getting

I've also never said anyone is at fault. In fact, thats precisely my point, isn't it! Just because some vague tiny possibility exists that people might be able to catch the right piece of luck doesn't make everything fair.

But who says life should be fair?

Your definition of fair - that's not what i said. I said life isn't fair is that the same obstacles are in everybody's way, ignoring the fact that everybody's capability to overcome those obstacles is completely different. - But that's what life is. Not everyone will be a CEO, or a surgeon or a footballer. But everyone has the opportunity to have a nice life. My definition is that everybody should have the same recourse to things to help them overcome those obstacles. - They do. Everyone is entitled to all the support packages and more, which I mentioned earlier. Some people will still manage further/higher/faster goals - but everybody has to be able to accomplish enough to keep living. - They do. Please can you tell me where this isn't true in the law or the system

No, there really isn't; thats the point I'm attempting to make. A chance exists, and it effectively comes down to exactly that, luck. Thats fine when it comes to striking it rich, but not when it comes to being able to live a decent life. - Can you highlight some examples?

no, no it's not. You're still only prepared to focus on people who have refused to help themselves at some point. Aside from the obvious callousness of cutting people off based on singular decisions made as a youth, you're still avoiding the very real issue that many people are in these situations through absolutely no fault of their own.

In what way? Give me examples.

Its no different to people who say we live in a 'racist society' or a 'rape society' or a 'misogynistic society', show your reasoning for this
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure