PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one

Options

Comments

• Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Noisy kids non stop for 5+ hours got me to breaking point .... so tea was crisps and ...my favourite choccies. I had to leave the house as they were doing my head in, so I headed for the shop .... that sold sweeties.

:)
    Sounds like you deserved crisps and favourite choccies for tea. I think that noisy kids non stop for that long would have sent me reaching for far more than crisps and choccies :( You could always have a crumpet for supper :)

Is it like this whenever the weather is good, or was this a one off?
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,227 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Wow, aren't I the early bird? Morning all

Only early because I will be MIA, had sudden invite to go up to RHS Wisley fort he day, no CFO today unless I bung in the pizza later when I get home

Sun's out & forecast is OK ish

PN, neighbours not got pampas grass in front have they? :D
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Farway wrote: »
    PN, neighbours not got pampas grass in front have they? :D

LOL. There are no "fronts" to speak of ... doors/windows directly onto access path.

If they did ... at least THOSE balls would be a darned sight quieter :)
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    On the fruit wastage prevention today.

I'm picking a lot of strawberries from the garden at the moment - cue for lots getting sliced and stuck in the freezer. Got a pineapple and it's about to "go" - cue for that getting sliced and most of it stuck in the freezer. Bought some blackberries Friday - so they should be fine - but I can see some of them are about to "go" (T*sco I'm looking at you...) and that's some more fruit going in the freezer.

If all else fails as to how to use frozen fruit - I can always shove some in my heavy-duty blender with some yogurt and/or milk and a bit of "sweetening" and just blitz and drink.

Personally - I'd find it a lot harder avoiding waste if I didnt have my freezer and blender and it gives me some time to "wait it out" and not get fed-up with that bane of life for us singles = repetitive eating.

Been sitting here trying to "encourage myself" this morning - otherwise known as watching a suitable cookery programme on tv. That's a Hemsley and Hemsley episode watched and I'm being reminded of recipes I've not tried yet. Looking at the canned coconut milk they're using in a couple of recipes - and that's another problem for singles (ie never wanting a whole can of it - so what to do with the rest?). I found a packet of coconut milk powder the other day in a health food shop - so bought it and will see how it comes out (as I figured I would be able to make up exactly the quantity I want with that).
  • PasturesNew
    edited 11 June 2017 at 9:55AM
    Options
    the canned coconut milk they're using in a couple of recipes - and that's another problem for singles (ie never wanting a whole can of it - so what to do with the rest?). I found a packet of coconut milk powder the other day in a health food shop - so bought it and will see how it comes out (as I figured I would be able to make up exactly the quantity I want with that).

The alternatives are the powder and the smaller sachets of goo. I've tried/failed to find the powder when I've gone out specifically looking for it. I do own a box of the sachets of goo now though (a gifted item from a sibling's cupboard chuck out)! I've also got a tin for 50p from Home Bargains ... just in case I ever decide to make a whole thing with it in the slow cooker.

But, in the main, many ingredients do stop you starting to cook nice looking things because 2-3 ingredients generate huge leftovers. So if it's not something you regularly use, but "just for this type of recipe" then, over the years, you stop bothering to even think about it and just write those recipes off.

Your thinking about making up how much you want is correct... and that's precisely why I went out looking for the powder about 3 years ago. 4sda allegedly stocked it, but my very largest 4sda didn't - I even asked a staff member.
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    I think I have a strange rogue batch of crumpets..... from l1dl they call themselves thick/fluffy - and by god they are. Super thick/fluffy. I've bought those packs before and there's been nothing different about them really.... but this specific pack seems to have super-puffed. The colour's a little odd (whiter/lighter and the edges of the holes are black, so they almost look 'mouldy') .... but they're huge and fluffy :)

Just ONE crumpet for breakfast as it's so big. With marg.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Pleasing thought for the day - and I've just found an organic online shop within delivery distance of me:D.

Chances are I'll continue to "do the best I can" with T*sco and the nearby health food shops. But it's always handy to know there is a "one stop shop" doing deliveries if need be - if single/no car/poor bus service. Contact details for them duly noted - in case of need ever.

Thankthelawd people have stopped describing the local bus service as "good" to me - I think they've finally realised it's my definition of blimmin' awful.....
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think I have a strange rogue batch of crumpets..... from l1dl they call themselves thick/fluffy - and by god they are. Super thick/fluffy. I've bought those packs before and there's been nothing different about them really.... but this specific pack seems to have super-puffed. The colour's a little odd (whiter/lighter and the edges of the holes are black, so they almost look 'mouldy') .... but they're huge and fluffy :)

Just ONE crumpet for breakfast as it's so big. With marg.

They sound lovely. Like you I've tried the super thick/fluffy ones in the past and not found them any different. You will have to keep going back to Lidl now and stand there studying all of the packets of crumpets looking for some that look the same as this packet. :) I can just imagine the looks that you would get :D
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    .... deliveries if need be - if single/no car/poor bus service. ...
    For "if need be" it's worth checking if "milk and more" deliver in your area. Not organic, but they do deliver the basics without a delivery charge (when I used them for my old mum).

It's like a milkman, but they also drop off other food. Handy between big shops where there are minimum deliveries, if all you want is a pint of fresh milk twice a week and a weekly loaf.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good morning everyone,
    Thankfully after what has been a pretty stressful few days my Dad is now back up and running with a fridge/freezer and all his food has been returned to him this morning......:D I'm for a quiet day, as they say about managing a long term condition I've used up all my "spoons" so need to watch what I'm doing for a day or so or I'll knock things back;).
    I had a nice evening yesterday, my son cooked steaks with salad and jersey royals for us and my sister and we had a good chat and some wine afterwards. It was nice to have company and chill out for a bit.
    I'm back to CFO today but not sure yet what I'm having tonight. Bacon and egg for brunch I think. :) The forcast is lousy for the next 24 hours so a good excuse not to do too much ......
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure