Teenagers first holiday without parents

Options

Comments

• Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    MallyGirl wrote: »
    Why not? He needs to know all about this sort of thing whether he is going to go to college/uni or just live on his own at some point. This should be part of you educating him about living a 'moneysaving' life.
    Lol, at the same time as leaving him to sort himself out without telling him anything as that's the best way he'll find out??? Gotta love mse replies, it's a good job I've been here a long time. :rotfl:
  • Spendless
    Options
    Back to other replies, other than nonsense on whether I should or shouldn't tell him of how to find better deals.;)

He's going to have a set amount of money for the trip. He should imagine he'll start buying more expensive stuff at the beginning of the week - unless he thinks to take it slowly first or he gets shocked by London prices. I am still recovering from being charged £17 for a beefburger in a London pub some years back (locally I find it expensive if it costs £12 nowadays!). My DD once described Nandos as a slightly upmarket KFC:D and I'm with her, not being keen myself.

Thanks for the sandwich tip. I would not have told him that. Here, sandwich shops are cheaper than the supermarkets, for just the sandwich that is. I can buy a decent sized ham salad roll for around £1.20-£1.50 and I shall pass on the idea of keeping a refillable water bottle with them.

As to what ideas have been floated, the museums have been mentioned, watching the guards change at Buckingham Place (thought American friend might want to witness that). Both boys are geeky, like computers. DS has an interest in history of politics. They wanted to hear Big Ben chiming but of course it's being repaired.
  • dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    annandale wrote: »
    He's probably not going to be getting takeaway curry given that hes taking it back to a hotel and not to his own home.

So you are recommending that he gets less money so that he can seek out lower priced better quality curries rather than having 20 pounds so that he can walk into any old takeaway and get a higher priced curry that might not be as tasty? You aren't going to know about quality unless you try both which isn't going to happen.

You are suggesting that he gets less money so he has to bargain hunt for his dinner? Is that your view?

Oh !!!!!!, seems like you are arguing for argument sake

Ok then give him £30, or £40.

If you think having a row of cafes/take aways/restuarants and making a judgment

That £6.50 place I go to, is next door to a place which the same meal even at lunch time would be 4x the amount and has worse reviews, on the same street theres multiple restaurants that charge crazy amounts of money and some fair priced ones, yes you have to make an effort to find a cheaper one but that effort is simply walk down a road and back up again and then make a judgement.

And the curry was just a suggestion, again you haven't brought up when someone recommended things like breakfast foods and seem to only be interested in my specific responses.

Most hotels I have been to don't mind people eating in rooms as long as its respectable and they do something like eat off a plate and on a desk, only time I saw issues is when a group of lads shared a family room for a week and was dozens of pizza boxes spread out.

Even been to hotels which have had a microwave for guests to use at reception, also ones which let you eat food in the common room.

Go back to that common sense thing rather than arguing about it, my original responses were spcifically about food money not spending money, would you spend £20 per day on food if it meant you had a fiver for something like bus travel or getting a pint left over? Or would you rather spend £3 on a take away twice a day and a few snacks leaving £17 a day for spending.

That and a £15 curry/item of food doesn't mean its better than a £5 one automatically it could just be a mark up based on wanting higher profits or overheads.

Pizza Hut for example do buffets around the £7 mark, with all you can drink soft drink for £2.50, nothing stopping you filling up there.
  • Spendless
    Options
    dekaspace wrote: »
    Even been to hotels which have had a microwave for guests to use at reception, also ones which let you eat food in the common room.

Go back to that common sense thing rather than arguing about it, my original responses were spcifically about food money not spending money, would you spend £20 per day on food if it meant you had a fiver for something like bus travel or getting a pint left over? Or would you rather spend £3 on a take away twice a day and a few snacks leaving £17 a day for spending.

Pizza Hut for example do buffets around the £7 mark, with all you can drink soft drink for £2.50, nothing stopping you filling up there.
    I'm sure he'd rather eat cheaply most of the time dekaspace and have the cash to visit somewhere, rather than pay voer the odds and him and friend being reduced to wandering the streets cos they're skint. :)

It might be the only time him and friend ever do this, he'll want memories of (mostly) what they did rather than what they ate.

Pizza hut buffet is a very good idea for filling up, it's refillable soft drinks too I think - thank you.
  • dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Spendless wrote: »
    I'm sure he'd rather eat cheaply most of the time dekaspace and have the cash to visit somewhere, rather than pay voer the odds and him and friend being reduced to wandering the streets cos they're skint. :)

It might be the only time him and friend ever do this, he'll want memories of (mostly) what they did rather than what they ate.

Pizza hut buffet is a very good idea for filling up, it's refillable soft drinks too I think - thank you.

Good, that was what I was getting at originally but it got misinterpreted, I wasn't saying eat at some greasy cafe which is like £3 for a meal as much as spread the cash out, as one cafe that is £10 for breakfast may be just as bad (or good) as one thats £2 a few doors down.

And yes unlimited soft drinks at Pizza Hut, even have the flavours so you can get like a strawberry or vanilla pepsi. the only thing that costs more is £3 for unlimited ice cream but thats a luxury.

I'd also check out for any Toby or Crown Carveries, and maybe some vouchers/apps for them as that can be a cheap filling meal and vouchers normally mean like a free side, or drink, or dessert or half off a £20 or more spend for new customers.

At Crowns the drinks aren't refillable but you instead get unlimited ice cream from machine, Toby has unlimited refills on soft drinks but just one ice cream.
  • JReacher1
    JReacher1 Posts: 4,652 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Spendless wrote: »
    I'm still a bit bemused that people aren't thinking I'm leaving him to it. I just asked for suggestions.

So far, DS and his friend have booked a hol for when one is 18+ and the other 17, instead of waiting another 4 months, when both could get into the pubs. 'Discovered' that a flight that was thought booked for and paid for actually wasn't and have now booked Ryanair. And had a night where they knew they wanted to be in x place but had done nothing about booking accommodation there and didn't know how they were getting there either.

^^^^^^ If the above was the calibre of my overseeing this, I'd hate to think what they'd do if left to their own devices. :rotfl:

He may only be 17 but I think you should face the fact he will be going into pubs on this holiday.
  • Spendless
    Options
    JReacher1 wrote: »
    He may only be 17 but I think you should face the fact he will be going into pubs on this holiday.
    I'm really not bothered if he goes into them. I think he might not get into (m)any as he won't be able to prove he's over 18, I certainly think it would have been easier for them if they'd booked this after DS's next birthday, instead of having a trip where he might or might not get in.
  • annandale
    annandale Posts: 1,469 Forumite
    Options
    I didn't realise that I had to reply to everyone as not to upset some people. I'm well aware of how to budget and eat cheaply thanks. Im not sure that 17 year olds are going to be wandering up and down trying to find a curry for a fiver.

I did say earlier in the thread that there are two wetherspoons in York and plenty in London.

Remind me never to respond to one poster on here again if this is the reaction you get.
  • alk29
    alk29 Posts: 45 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would recommend The Time Out website.

It has regular articles on Cheap eats in London. I've used that quite a bit and often its really good value for money, even for very central places.

It also has a "free things to do in London this week" section which is also worth a look.
  • bluebear36
    Options
    dekaspace wrote: »
    Near the Omni, and whilst its a lunchtime special its large portions, its where locals go, Other places do 3 courses for around £12-£15 in evening often including a drink, but this place I may go in 3 times a year and owner recognises me each time, considering hes been there for 40 years and still exists it means hes doing something right!

£20 is lucky to cover a evening meal!! i'd have to push to spend that much like walk into the first place I find and go for something expensive on menu. but its all down to common sense really, get a curry at take away and it may cost £7, the same curry at a restuarant may be double that price but no better or bigger portions, part of what I was writing was to imply more common sense, if he does get £15 a day, and splashes it on a single curry and rice and has no spending money then its his own fault for not planning, giving him say £10 will make him think about stretching it more.

But I wasn't the person who mentioned Nando;s i.e junk food so I gave cheaper similar junk food options.

I've lived in Edinburgh over 30 years and have never heard of anywhere that cheap. I'm intrigued - what's it's name?

I've just been out for lunch in a pub/restaurant on the outskirts and it was £25 for 3 courses plus a soft drink. £20 is small change for good quality food.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure