Nationwide on-line banking

Options

Comments

• Armchair23
    Armchair23 Posts: 648 Forumite
    Options
    Yup I have Smile and Natwest card readers and they seem to work across all 3 banks.
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 6 July 2017 at 11:00PM
    Options
    Armchair23 wrote: »
    Yup I have Smile and Natwest card readers and they seem to work across all 3 banks.

They are the same as Barclays as well.

They are designed to work using a common standard - one of those rare occasions where something security related is common between banks ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chip_Authentication_Program

My only complaint is none of them thought to add +/-x= button(s) and turn it into a useful calculator as well.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • Missus_Hyde
    Missus_Hyde Posts: 531 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Complete nightmare. I applied for a FlexDirect account last week, and have been trying to register for internet banking. It says I'm already registered, but as I cannot provide my memorable details (because I never provided any in the first place) I need to re-register. So I am trying to re-register, and it won't let me because it thinks I am already registered. Been waiting for 45 minutes for someone to answer the phone.

Ah, comforting to find someone else with exactly the same problem as me; the "groundhog day" scenario telling me I had registered and then finding I couldn't re-register because supposedly I was already registered!:huh: I was also sent two letters on the same day, one welcoming me with a customer number inviting me to sign up for internet banking and another telling me I had already registered for internet banking with another customer number?

Fortunately, I already had a card reader for my husband's account, so used that with the customer number which told me I had already registered and lo and behold, the account came up and I was in (even though I must have registered in my sleep, as I certainly couldn't recall doing it!!) ;) I quickly downloaded the mobile app and got that going while the thing was still working. :T

It would seem that like so many things these days, the right hand doesn't appear to know what the left is doing :doh:
    A cunning plan, Baldrick? Whatever it was, it's got to be better than pretending to be mad; after all, who'd notice another mad person around here?.......Edmund Blackadder.
  • soulsaver
    soulsaver Posts: 5,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    Are they not account dependent ?
    You think you should have one per account?
  • surreysaver
    surreysaver Posts: 4,105 Forumite
    Options
    How long does it take these card readers to turn up in the post? By the time I get it to log into my Internet banking and manage the account, the 5% offer will have expired! Or can I just pop into a branch and get one?
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
  • Zanderman
    Zanderman Posts: 4,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    How long does it take these card readers to turn up in the post? By the time I get it to log into my Internet banking and manage the account, the 5% offer will have expired! Or can I just pop into a branch and get one?

Card readers tend to be interchangeable between banks - so if you have one from another bank, and have all the Nwide info you need then you can probably use another bank's reader rather than wait for days for the officail one to arrive. I log into all my card reader-needing current accounts witha Smile Bank reader - works for RBS, Nwide Barclays (despite the latter's hardware looking completely different) etc.
  • surreysaver
    surreysaver Posts: 4,105 Forumite
    Options
    No. This will be the first time I'll have had a card reader. Seems more hassle than its worth - it also means I'll need to remember another PIN - so decreases security (its not possible to remember all the PIN i need to.
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
  • Armchair23
    Armchair23 Posts: 648 Forumite
    Options
    Perhaps you can borrow a reader to get you started as they're not linked to a bank or account.
    You don't HAVE to use a reader to sign in once you've got initial access to your account and set up your preferences.But you probably will whenever you set up a new beneficiary.
    One way or another with online banking you're going to need to remember PIN or logins at some stage.
  • Zanderman
    Zanderman Posts: 4,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    No. This will be the first time I'll have had a card reader. Seems more hassle than its worth - it also means I'll need to remember another PIN - so decreases security (its not possible to remember all the PIN i need to.

No it doesn't. It'll be the same pin you use for the card normally.
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If "any card reader" from any bank works - how does this add to security ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure