We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

The great, good and not so good bits about growing your own dinner 2017

Options

Comments

• unrecordings
    Options
    The year before I made Noyau, I made Apple Schnapps - that was quite nice (I named it Lambourne's Ruin, after the Lord Lambourne apple tree I have) - it also tasted of cough medicine...

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • Littlefrugalcottage
    Options
    Hello all,

Is it ok if I join? I moved into our new house late 2015 and 2016 was supposed to be my first growing year but I managed to dislocated and break my ankle in three places so only just getting back into everything.

I have a super small back garden with an amazing view, hoping to try and grow as much as I can do while still leaving some space for the dogs!

Just bought myself some White Strawberries to try nomnom
    Little Frugal Cottage x
    SealedPotChallenge 2017 No.573 :j Grocery Challenge - £250/£250 left to spend £250
  • e4rly
    e4rly Posts: 66 Forumite
    Options
    All, does anyone have any advice for deterring foxes? I have a huge fox problem and regularly have them dig up plants (last year they had a real thing for my strawberries, grrr!)
  • tibawo
    tibawo Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have had my name down on the local allotment list and was told that although I was not successful on the last vacant one that went to someone higher up that I am 5th. Three above me want large ones and the other person got a raised bed but failed to use it so this one may have my name on it.

Either way as a newbie and not much spare cash I will start to build up tools etc. I have a trowel and that's it as it is all I need in my concrete yard! My friend has told me to get started with some garlic and to start reading.

The plot that I may get is a short walk from my house so much so that I will have to decide wether it is worth signing up for water!
    Go get it!
  • Jazee
    Jazee Posts: 8,912 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Tibawo, how exciting for you.

Earlier in the thread others were mentioning garden tools in wilcos from 25p. May be worth a look and getting some ready.

No planting done here. I have no GUAG today.
    Spend less now, work less later.
  • CAFCGirl
    CAFCGirl Posts: 9,122 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I feel a bit more like I'm getting going again.

Sown this weekend:
    Violas
    Sweetpeas
    Cress
    Beetroot
    Thai Basil

Found in a £ shop some mini propagators with coir pellets for 89p so picked up three. Also ordered some coir pellets from A****n so when they arrive will start off some more seeds indoors.
    Tomorrow is set to be a warmer day locally with no rain predicted today or tomorrow so hopefully we'll manage an hour or two at the allotment. Even if it's just spent bagging up rubbish, it will be something done.
    Manifesting Abundance in 2023
    Fashion On The Ration 2023 36/66
  • unrecordings
    unrecordings Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I sowed my first propagator tomatoes at the weekend (Ailsa Craig again), also took advantage of the clement weather to do some tidying up. I still need to prune the apple tree though...

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • suzy_g
    suzy_g Posts: 726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hello from Somerset ,I started growing veg last year all in containers except the beans, I loved it , I started a large compost heap so less outlay this year, also last year I used a lot of plants , this year now I got an idea of what grew well, I am using seeds I will sow some this week for the window sill no green house, I have a little walkin plastic one, but the cover got blown off this week, I will get another one as this was so handy. I thought I would try a couple of no dig permaculture beds this year, im glad I came across this thread as it lovely to see what everyone is up to sue
  • Chesapeake
    Options
    Just 4 days after registering our interest we got an allotment yesterday :)
    It's a 30 x 90 plot that is very overgrown but it has a polytunnel, a shed with a leaky roof and a pond full of frog spawn.

We have started sketching out plans for the layout as one side is all raised beds (if a little hidden under grass) and the other long side has the tunnel, shed, water tank, a couple of leggy fruit trees and the pond.

I'm getting really excited about clearing the site and getting a better handle on exactly what is there. It will be interesting to see what the fruit trees are too!
  • tibawo
    tibawo Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Doesn't look like I got the allotment. Not heard officially but as there was a couple with their child clearing the plot when we went past we have assumed it has gone to them. It could be that it was one of the people who wanted a larger plot and got fed up waiting as officially letters of interest deadline was the 3rd.

However, although disappointed, I have been reading and may try growing garlic and potatoes in tubs in the backyard. It also gives me chance to gradually build up tools and bits of equipment so that when I get one I am already good to go.
    Go get it!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport