PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Feed a family of four for £20 a week challenge

Options

Comments

• Butterfly_Brain
    Options
    Nursemaggie this site is really good for people on benefits
    http://www.turn2us.org.uk/
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Phew, I am glad others agree. I was worried that I'd just come across as a total loon..or more so than normal anyway :D

Don't get my started on HFCS. If you are interested, and haven't already, the talk about sugar and HFCS on YouTube is great and very informative: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM
  • Fruball
    Fruball Posts: 5,739 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    During the war people survived on stodgy suet puddings, cooked with lard, dripping and bacon fat, lots of vegetables,fish and very little meat, plus they ate seasonally, they didn't have freezers like we have today, they stored their harvests by salting (fermentation), pickling, chutneys, jams, bottling fruits and foraging.
    Yet they are known as the healthiest generation

I think that we have all been sold a crock with dietary advice and we should get away from heat treated oils and hydrogenated fats apart from olive oil and coconut oil.

There is a brilliant blog called the 1940's experiment, it makes really interesting reading and has lots of recipes.

http://1940sexperiment.wordpress.com/rationing-diet-sheets/

I am another one in the fat brigade! I ditched veg oils (except olive oil which I won't cook with) and use coconut oil (sparingly because the countries who produce it now have much less because it has caught on elsewhere), plus plenty of butter, lard and dripping :D

I have lost 7lbs since I cut the bad fats (marg/veg oil etc) and much of the sugar from my diet :)

Not only that but my food tastes so much better and is more filling :T
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Butterfly_Brain Posts: 8,862 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Post of the Month
    edited 11 December 2014 at 7:37PM
    Options
    I did a quick cheap dinner tonight, I had six rosti in the freezer so I thought that I would use them on top of a savoury mince.

Rosti pie

400g Mince
    2 carrots
    1 large onion
    A tin of baked beans rinsed and drained
    4 mushrooms quartered
    1 tsp herbs
    salt and pepper.
    a tbsp cornflour to thicken.

Saute onion, then add mushrooms and cook for a few minutes followed by the carrots, put into a casserole dish, then fry the mince, put the veg back in the pan and add 1pint of water or stock, salt, pepper and a tsp herbs and simmer gently for an hour. Make a paste of cornflour, temper it with some of the stock and stir through, cook for a further 15 minutes.
    When the sauce is thickened add everything to the casserole dish top with the rosti and put in the oven until the rosti is golden, serve with green veg of choice.

Everyone liked it, so that is another recipe in my book.

Mince (½ a pack aldi economy mince £2.59 = £1.29)
    2 carrots 8p (aldi super six 49p 1kg approx 12 carrots)
    1 onion aldi 4 for 33p = 8p
    4 mushrooms - market 25p
    herbs 2p
    rosti was in the freezer and I can't remember where I got them or how much I paid :o Say approx £1 as knowing me I wouldn't have paid much more than that and I used half a pack so 50p :p
    Aldi frozen broccolli/ quarter of a 1kg bag (250g)89p = 22p
    Total cost £2.42 or 60p per portion
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Options
    Super six this week

clementines 600g
    little gem lettuce
    1.5kg maris piper potatoes
    750g bag brussels
    1.5 kg carrots
    600g parsnips

All at 49p

The meat offers are

2 gammon steaks 99p
    250g streaky bacon 99p
    2 chicken kievs 99p
    375g diced chicken £2.19
    400g pork loin medallions £2.19
    500g best beef mince £2.19
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Butterfly_Brain Posts: 8,862 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Post of the Month
    edited 11 December 2014 at 8:40PM
    Options
    Lots of things that you can do with these:

bacon and egg pie

bacon pizza

streaky bacon sliced and cooked with pasta and shredded brussels with a cheese sauce or a tomato sauce

Gammon steaks with a maris piper potato baked in its jacket and lettuce plus tomatoes and cucumber as a side

Streaky bacon sliced, fried and mixed into a cheese sauce and made into pasties or puff triangles

Kievs and hm wedges with lettuce

Quiche lorraine

Bacon, mozzarella and tomato slice

Bacon sarnies

Pan haggerty

Egg and bacon

American pancakes with bacon and maple syrup

Cowboy stew

Stir fry bacon with egg noodles, julliened carrots, sliced mushrooms, beansprouts in a hoisin sauce or use the gammon to make sweet and sour dish.

gnocchi with streaky bacon and mozzarella

Lentil and bacon soup

pea and bacon soup

bacon and onion pie using a suet crust.

bacon and egg in bread cases line a muffin tin with slices of bread pre cook some bacon then put a slice of tomato then bacon and an egg on top and bake in the oven

chicken and bacon pie

spaghetti with bacon, peas and mozzarella

bacon and shredded brussels soup

Parsnip soup

Carrot soup

BLT sarnie

Eggy bread with bacon and honey or maple syrup

bacon and pea risotto

bacon lasagne

bacon and sweetcorn soup

Streaky bacon kebabs

Put a piece of mozzarella or even a cheese triangle on a rasher of streaky bacon and roll it up, put on a skewer with mushrooms, pineapple cubes or apple, and cocktail sausages or just cut up some sausages into chunks, grill gently turning frequently.

I will post more ideas later DH has just got home from work x
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Thanks BB for your recipe ideas :)

I have lots of carrots to use up this coming week, can anything come up with a carrot heavy recipe? We all love carrots, so could have them on the side with everything all week, but fancy trying something new.
  • Living_proof
    Options
    Please do look out for the bacon off-cuts. I have had a couple recently from B&M and Fultons (?) or the other low-cost Northern freezer place whose name totally escapes me. The first one had huge chunks of meat and I took off the fat and put in the slow cooker with carrot, onion, peppercorns, bay leaf and a smidgeon of water. I think it was on slow for six or eight hours and I estimate it will yield seven meals for one. I froze it in one-portion packs and used half tonight in pitta bread with salad, so it will make even more than seven portions. Those packs seem to be either unevenly cut rashers (still useful) or great wadges of meat ideal for the slow cooker. The pack was #1.69 I think so mega-thrifty for family meals.
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    [SIZE Givenergy 9.5 battery added July 23
    [/SIZE]
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Options
    I use the Sainsbury bacon pieces £1.15 for 750g and I try to look for the smoked pieces because it has more flavour especially in a bacon pasta or bacon pasties.
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • pamsdish
    pamsdish Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I buy the Lidl cooking bacon 1k for £1-69, sort through packs usually a lot of gammon ends.Sometimes it might be 2 huge thick slices, slice into usable pieces for stews, sandwiches, lardons etc.
    Do I need it or just want it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport