PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Leaving handover notes on completion day?

Options
1235»

Comments

• anotheruser
    anotheruser Posts: 3,485 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Ah but if they had left a note it would have meant that they knew, and therefore that they should have told you before you exchanged contracts...
    There were stains on the ceiling... they knew.
    Just like they knew about the dodgy shower with it's mysterious "turn off if you want it hot" knob. Not that I'm bitter :P
  • franklee
    franklee Posts: 3,867 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    DaftyDuck wrote: »
    And... Photos of the gardens, taken at different times of year, plans of the planting schemes, along with a list of all (! Yep, all...) the plants planted in the garden.
    Glad I'm not the only one who left a planting plan and plant list. Not that I think the buyer was that interested LOL. However glad I did as I kept a copy and it will help me plan our new garden.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    franklee wrote: »
    Glad I'm not the only one who left a planting plan and plant list. .
    Very glad I didn't. Garden looked like Monsanto's trials ground within 2 years.

I sold off the bottom 1/3 of it to others, which they were wise to buy, judging by the way the leylandi went on the rest! :rotfl:
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The main problem with leaving a planting plan (for me) was it's a list of all the plants I left behind, and now NEED to buy again. Made all the more expensive in that many may have been exotic, but were picked from bargain basement Death Row.

Chance of finding the same at reduced cost - zero, so having the list is expensive!
  • phoebe1989seb
    phoebe1989seb Posts: 4,452 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 7 October 2016 at 12:00PM
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    Very glad I didn't. Garden looked like Monsanto's trials ground within 2 years.

Same here, Dave :o

Not our last house where we had a reasonably large garden (third of an acre) - although those buyers did freely admit they knew nothing about gardening, but they at least were interested in the garden and seemed to love what we had done - but the previous house.

We had taken an overgrown space that contained a few large specimen trees but little else of note and that wrapped around the whole detached house and relandscaped it - filling it with lovely planting, the majority of which we had purchased as mature specimens (to achieve the instant effect, lol!) and by the time we sold, the gardens were looking delightful. Imagine our horror when the buyers admitted the MIL was buying the husband a chain saw as a house warming gift :eek:

A few months after completion we had cause to revisit the area (200 miles from our new home) and decided to [STRIKE]be nosey[/STRIKE] drive past our old house. The gardens - as far as we could see - were unrecognisable......every one of the plants we had added was gone (replaced by ugly black/gold railings completely out of style with the beautiful but non-listed Tudor house) and the gardens instead resembled a kids' playground in downtown Beirut :(

Obviously new owners can do what they like, but if I'd realised quite how brutal they were intending to be with the chain saw, I'd have asked if they minded me removing a few of the plants we've spent ££££ on!
    Mortgage-free for fourteen years!

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
  • glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    DaftyDuck wrote: »
    I've sold quite a few houses now, and I always leave a folder full of useful information, and various useful bits as well. Things like paint, tiles and spare wallpaper I always clear with the buyer first, but they have all said "yes" to it being left, without exception.

I leave a folder of the manuals and receipts for all white goods, fitted heaters, lights, fans and the like. I leave a "cheat sheet" for any oddities on these. Copies of the downloaded manuals on a CD or USB as well.

I leave a list of the neighbours names and phone numbers (having asked them first), and a list of the builders I have used and recommend. A local map or two if available for free. Then I leave bus and train timetables, takeaway menus from the good'uns, a recent copy of the local newspaper, parish newsletters and local advertising magazines, library opening times, or mobile library days, list of local organisations and societies in the village. Then (yep) I leave spare lightbulbs for any odd lights (those halogen bulbs mainly) labelled for the appropriate light, and used to leave fuses (and fuse wire before that..., no need for either these days...) ... And I leave photos of any renovation work, showing where wiring and plumbing, structural elements and the like are under plaster or floorboards....

... Um..

I leave copies of old photos of the houses (they are always older properties) along with a bit of historical archive (say the last couple of centuries of owners' names, who they were, that kind of stuff).

Card for bin days, other essentials like that.

And... Photos of the gardens, taken at different times of year, plans of the planting schemes, along with a list of all (! Yep, all...) the plants planted in the garden. Spare packets of seed where the seed is something specific to the garden design (sure, let them change everything if they want, but if there's a seed that should be planted in the first few weeks, they may want it again this year, and have better things to do than source it...).. All the plants have their labels attached as well...

A bottle of bubbly, normally left hiding in the fridge (if left), a bunch of flowers (usually from the garden) on a mantelpiece, a copy of the last meter readings (there's details of where they are on one of the 211 bits of paper in that folder, so there's a one-line description on that easily-available sheet as well, along with location of stopcocks. There'll be a small bowl full of the keys (all labelled), which nowadays also has a USB pen (was a CD) where much of the above information is repeated, manuals downloaded, photos stored...

My phone number (but it is a burner phone).

A "Welcome to your new home" card.

I think that's about it... :D But, I think I'm still in friendly, if distant, contact with most of the people who've bought from me!

Okaaaay. Are you a stay at home mum by any chance?
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    glasgowdan wrote: »
    Okaaaay. Are you a stay at home mum by any chance?
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:If only you knew......!
  • cristalfiona
    Options
    I was a FTB and all my seller left me was a mess - stuff in every room and faults with almost every room in the house, mostly caused by his non-obviously terrible DIY.

I'm still sorting things a bit at a time and I haven't yet cleared the rubbish out of the garage. When I move I'll be leaving things tidy and coming back to this thread for ideas!
  • Elinore
    Elinore Posts: 259 Forumite
    Options
    The only thing our sellers left us was the MASSIVE holes in the wall where their removals dropped the sofa down the stairs.

As it was done after exchange* the blighters are arguing the house was ours so our responsibility to fix.

(still waiting for this to be resolved via the sols)

*we hadn't collected the keys
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport