PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Bookworm's Thread 2016

Options

Comments

• Crowdpleaser
    Crowdpleaser Posts: 1,277 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi all. Have just finished Cometh the Hour the new Jeffrey Archer novel. Enjoyed it as always but you have to have read the rest of the series otherwise it wouldn't make much sense.

I work in a library. We charge 80p for a reservation and free to reserve kids books. Unfortunately libraries have now got to find ways of making their money. It's sad really. We are all going through restructure as we speak to save money. I love my job and will be really sad to lose it if it happens.

I've read Room too and loved it.

Xxx
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Got The House on Cold Hill by Peter James on the go at the moment ,good ghost story :) just right to read on a cold night in winter :):):)
  • sugarbaby125
    sugarbaby125 Posts: 3,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have just finished reading The Memory Stones by Kate O'Riordan. It was a very compelling read. When Nell hears from her grown up daughter's neighbours in Ireland that her daughter is in danger, Nell leaves Paris and returns to Ireland after a 30 year absence. The language is very descriptive and all of the characters are very well drawn. I highly recommend this book.
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've just read The Keeper of the Light by Diane Chamberlain, whose praises have been sung.

Some of the reviews said 'romance coupled with a thriller'. Well, I kept waiting for the 'thriller' bit. Predictable, romantic tosh.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • Upsidedown_Bear
    Upsidedown_Bear Posts: 18,264 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have just finished "Salt is Leaving" by J B Priestley.
    It was perfect and that's something I rarely say about books :)

md17313679158.jpg

Next I'm going to read "The eternity project" by Dean Crawford.
  • pollypenny
    Options
    I've just read Confession, a thriller by Nicholas Rhea, the guy who wrote the Heartbeat books. It was ok.

I'm putting off re-reading A God in Ruins for book group, as I only read in January. It was good, but not that good that I need to read it again so soon.

• VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Falling badly behind atm! :o

I've had my eyes well and truly opened, I had no idea how popular the crime genre and thrillers are!
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • THIRZAH
    THIRZAH Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    Options
    I work in an Oxfam bookshop and crime novels are our best sellers,
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Finished 'Room' last night and thoroughly enjoyed it,even the film stuck pretty near to the book which was good.I have a book called 'My Estonia ' which my eldest DGS has lent me as he spends quite a bit of time there with his work, and I am looking forward to reading it.he loves it there, and is even trying to learn the language, which apparently makes him quite popular with the locals. he says their culture is so different, and the people are so welcoming to a stranger in their land.

JackieO
  • pollypenny
    edited 15 March 2016 at 9:45AM
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Falling badly behind atm! :o

I've had my eyes well and truly opened, I had no idea how popular the crime genre and thrillers are!

I usually read thrillers and more literary books alternately.

I'll choose a thriller if I want something quick when I'm very busy.

Occasionally, I come across a thriller writer whose writing is beautiful.

Dana Stabenow creates amazing pictures of Alaska. At the moment I'm reading Shiver by Maggie Stievfater. I'd say it's aimed at older teenagers and that is beautifully written, too.

Edited to add: I've just finished Shiver and thoroughly recommend it to adults and teenagers. It's the first in a trilogy, too. Linger and Forever to come.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure