Thought I was starting to get sorted - but illness has set me back

Options

Comments

• AdviceSought
    Options
    Have a read of that HSE link anyway - it makes various suggestions of what you can do as well as what your employer needs to be doing. If there is currently over a sustained period too much work for the people who are there to cope with then it's in their interests to manage the situation to avoid people going off sick and thus compounding things. There may be stuff there that you can take forwards with them as part of a back-to-work meeting.

So how long have you been in your employment with this company? This isn't simply an error that someone has hit "SSP" rather than -paying you your salary with SSP deducted, is it?

For about 18 months.
  • e13
    e13 Posts: 42 Forumite
    Options
    For about 18 months.

And how much time have you had off sick in the last six months? Because it looks from your contract like you should get 4 weeks full pay, I think!
  • AdviceSought
    Options
    e13 wrote: »
    And how much time have you had off sick in the last six months? Because it looks from your contract like you should get 4 weeks full pay, I think!

Certainly nothing even approaching four weeks.
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,407 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If I were you I'd have a chat with either your line manager if you get on well enough with them, or with your payroll department direct. It certainly looks as though this ought to be an error. Fingers crossed.
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • AdviceSought
    Options
    If I were you I'd have a chat with either your line manager if you get on well enough with them, or with your payroll department direct. It certainly looks as though this ought to be an error. Fingers crossed.

Due to size of the business they are one and the same...
  • coolcait
    coolcait Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Hi AS

There's plenty of good advice already about your health and the employment issues :). I'll have a go at giving some ideas on the DAS side.

When you speak to your money adviser on Monday (it's StepChange if I remember rightly?) try to go over all the different options.

Whatever changes you make to the DAS have to be done formally. It's a whole process (variation) but StepChange can help you with it.

Realistically, that's not going to happen before your next payment is due. However, if you pay what you can that will look better than missing the payment completely.

When someone is off work because of illness they can apply for a payment break of up to six months (this is one of the options under the variation process). But their disposable income also has to have reduced by 50% of more.

Right now, it doesn't look as if that has happened because you said you've lost 40% of your DPP payment. I know, that's tough :( but StepChange have to confirm that they've seen a drop of 50%.

If the worst comes to the worst and you're still off next month, then a payment break application then might be a possibility.

Another possibility - which you can go for as soon as StepChange are ready - is to apply to reduce your payments for a while - maybe six months. Cut it down to the amount you'd expect to be able to pay if your salary drops right down, so that you're not stressing about the affordability.

Whatever you decide to do, StepChange will almost certainly need to see some evidence of your current income and expenditure, so it makes sense to get that together over the weekend - so that you're good to go and send it to them after you've spoken on Monday.

I looked back at your previous posts because I remember posting to you before. Your DPP is pretty short, so even with reduced payments for a few months StepChange could point out to the creditors and the DAS Administrator that it's still 'Fair and Reasonable'.

Some creditors might take the hump because it's such a new DPP so you haven't built up a payment history. That's why it's a good idea to pay something this month (maybe even next month if the variation hasn't been sorted out) because it shows willing.

The most important think right now is your health. Keep working with the doctor and any other health professionals to get that sorted.

But I understand that it will help your peace of mind if you can also sort out the DAS payments. That's where StepChange come in. They might have some other ideas and suggestions for you, but it's worth talking over the ideas I've mentioned.

Take care of yourself.
  • AdviceSought
    Options
    So, I've now got my payslip...

Basically the salary bit is 565.39 lower than normal and a bit below says sick pay and the amount 106.14.

Really not sure how to word an email querying this as if I'm wrong in my interpretation of my contract, it's going to make returning even harder than I already fear.
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    You can not be afraid to ask for what you are due - what I would ask would simply be along the lines of:

Dear XYZ,

I have received my payslip and I'm just wanting to check that I haven't misunderstood the amounts on it. I understand from my contract that I'm entitled to 4 weeks full pay in the event of illness as I've been with *company* over 12 months - but looking at my payslip then more has been subtracted than SSP?

Sorry if I've misunderstood anything, just wanted to clarify where I got confused? Would you be able to help me clear this up?

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards

AdviceSought

assuming you haven't had any sick pay in the previous 12 months then there is no reason you should have not been paid it.
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • AdviceSought
    Options
    I have been off sick in the last 12 months prior to this, although no payslip up until now has ever had "sick pay" listed.

I've also not been off anywhere near approaching four weeks.

I'm really not a confident person at all, and should they decide I'm wrong on this, it's going to make returning to work even harder than it's already going to be for me.
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Don't assume it's always listed as sick pay on the payslip... if they paid you full rate when you were off sick then they would be entitled to count that towards the 4 weeks - however that aside - you are still entitled to your sick pay if that is what it states in the contract. You're not asking for anything extravagant here! :)

You signed up to a contract, the same as your employer did - you have rights the same as anyone else :)

I work in a small company too at the moment so I do know what you mean, and being stressed might be making it all the worse for you. It will likely not be an issue when you return, so try not to worry.

I know it's hard, I find it very hard sometimes to ask for what is rightfully mine too, but I've learnt the hard way that sometimes you need to be brave :)

Ultimately it's money you are entitled to :)

Long term though - what can you try to do to help yourself be less stressed? You're dealing with your debts, but would getting out for walks help? Finding a cheap/free hobby? Joining a charity and doing something you enjoy (I used to be very active with St John when I was younger - there are a plenthora of opportunities there, or contact local shelters and vonlunteer as a dog walker, spend time with someone elderly in your community) can help you focus on positives instead of negatives.

Yes work need to be dealt with, but try to do what you can to re-direct your self so you can then deal with them when you go back :)
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport