Thought I was starting to get sorted - but illness has set me back

Options
12346»

Comments

• Houseplant26
    Options
    So, my GP changed my anti-depressants after I ended up being signed off again.

My medical certificate expired and I was going to go back to work on Monday, but the initial side-effects of my new medication has left me feeling pretty much like zombie and I've been unable to go in.

I've not long woken today and picked up my mail.

I have received a written warning from my employer about my level of absence and they are looking for consent to see my medical records in relation to my absences.

I must say this is now leaving me absolutely terrified.

I really don't know what to do.

The best thing to do is to agree to them seeing a report from your doctor outlining why you have been off, all diagnosises and the fact you've been prescribed medications and it is taking a while to find the right one and as a result you've been
    more poorly.

I was once unwell in an old job due to stress and depression. It was a horrible experience but I managed to get past it return to work work there for about another year (should have left sooner but found it hard to find energy to change things!) and then found a new job in a field I wanted to be in. It wasn't easy I did some volunteering at weekends and although this was tiring the volunteering actually hugely helped my mood, boosted my confidence and kind of helped me find myself again.

Things can and will get better. You need a change, it can be done. I know it might sound a strang way to spend time when you're feeling so overwhelmed but I really would encourage you to do some volunteering if and when you are well enough.

I take medication and it does potentially make me tired however it is at a manageable extent I can still work 4-5days a week and do say one social thing a week and feel ok.

Regarding the warning try not to let that add to your worry. I had one of these and had to have a semi formal meeting. It was actually mainly triggered by being off multiple times in one year for short spells. Which was quite annoying as I was clearly burnt out and getting bugs and low moods etc but then trying to do the right thing and be back to work asap! Remember the warning is only like step one a a fair few before things would get any more serious than essentially a conversation.
  • Houseplant26
    Options
    Also are there any recommendations your Dr can make to help you return to work, via workplace adjustments? I didn't have much luck with this (they suggested working from home which employer rejected) but there might be things that could be tweaked to make work more bearable?

What is it about work that's awful and can anything be done by you or your work to make it a bit better for now?
  • AdviceSought
    Options
    So, I'm now unemployed...

Filled in the form online to get the ball rolling for JSA, but I'm in deep trouble now.

Car finance of £219 per month, I need the car.

Obviously my DPP payments now can't be made either.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,913 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    So, I'm now unemployed...

Filled in the form online to get the ball rolling for JSA, but I'm in deep trouble now.

Car finance of £219 per month, I need the car.

Obviously my DPP payments now can't be made either.

Hi,

Sorry to hear that.

You might want to look further into this :

Low Income Low Asset (LILA)

A LILA is the Scottish form of a debt relief order and has been introduced in order to help people who cannot afford to pay their debt but also can't afford bankruptcy.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • another_casualty
    Options
    Advice sought : sorry to hear about your situation.
    We all hit brick walls in some form, one way or another.
    You have had some great advice here. Some of you on here know me from my thread, and have given me great advice also.

I had work issues also, so I feel your pain.
    I would like to ask you , what exactly is the job you do ?( Don't name your ex company obviously ) . Have you always done the same type of job ?
    What is your age ?

Sourcrates , or mrs. Tinks may be best to answer this question incase I'm asking the wrong thing : can you go bankrupt ?
    I say this as you are living with others.

You are now unemployed. Looking at this from early on, I thought this would be the outcome. Did you get a payoff? Did you resign?

Those are my questions . I don't think know what else to say at this stage.
    What I will say, is that you are out of the job. You will,obviously have stress about finances etc. However, tension will no longer be in your system.That is a great thing. I had tension for 9 years working in a cliquey environment,with a crawling conniving colleague who was stabbing me in the back ,and getting people against me . It's not so,long ago I quit , so I talk from experience .
    Wishing you all the best.
    BTW : if you are able to start running againthen do so.
    Somebody mentioned b vitamins above. I agree, that berocca is good.
    If it does not effect your medication , then do,it.
    Back to the others...
  • AdviceSought
    Options

I had work issues also, so I feel your pain.
    I would like to ask you , what exactly is the job you do ?( Don't name your ex company obviously ) . Have you always done the same type of job ?
    What is your age ?

Work in Accounting. Yes, always done the same type of job. Early 30s.
    Sourcrates , or mrs. Tinks may be best to answer this question incase I'm asking the wrong thing : can you go bankrupt ?
    I say this as you are living with others.

As I have a car on finance which I will actually need, I don't think that would be an option open to me.
    You are now unemployed. Looking at this from early on, I thought this would be the outcome. Did you get a payoff? Did you resign?

No pay-off at all. Yes, I've ended up resigning.

In some ways, I now feel relieved, in others, I'm scared. The job market here is pretty much dead.
  • another_casualty
    Options
    Work in Accounting. Yes, always done the same type of job. Early 30s.

As I have a car on finance which I will actually need, I don't think that would be an option open to me.

No pay-off at all. Yes, I've ended up resigning.

In some ways, I now feel relieved, in others, I'm scared. The job market here is pretty much dead.

Ok . Thanks for that . One other question : what area do you live in?
    Sorry if I missed that .
    In black and white , apart from the debt it doesn't look too bad.
    in reality, it obviously seems worse.

Accounts sounds boring to some , humdrum etc. However, as you know , there are different account jobs. I won't bore everyone , but I know. 2 people. 1 is one of my best friends. He is a management Acct
    The drummer in one of my old bands is also a mgt accountant.
    Both of their jobs are completely different .
    Then you have wages / finance jobs etc etc.

I have a couple of questions here : Is your type of work really hard to come by ? Can you do some of the work at home a couple of days a week? ( probably not , sorry you have busy house ).
    Can you go on a course to train for the Accounting job that could pay more?
    I'm not sure how potential employers will handle your work related stress record . Maybe someone on here could guide you .
    I don't know what else to say, except that when you get to my age, all this will be behind you . I wish you all the best in the meantime .
  • AdviceSought
    Options
    Ok . Thanks for that . One other question : what area do you live in?

I'm in Aberdeen.
    I have a couple of questions here : Is your type of work really hard to come by ?

The types of roles I have experience in are not being advertised these days. Pretty much nothing available other than roles I've not got experience and/or qualifications for.
    Can you do some of the work at home a couple of days a week? ( probably not , sorry you have busy house ).

Unfortunately no.
    Can you go on a course to train for the Accounting job that could pay more?

Had been making slow progress through professional qualification, but pretty hard when I'm needing to pay it myself.
    I'm not sure how potential employers will handle your work related stress record

That's a major worry. If I get any other interview, what happens when asked "why did you leave your previous job?"
  • another_casualty
    Options
    The last paragraph about why did you leave your job:
    In normal circumstances, you just say you wanted to progress further and couldn't see your ambitiouns being achieved in the company you were in.
    You thought that your job was under threat under redundancy etc.

However, as I mentioned earlier I think someone on here will guide you
    further.
    Hope that helps
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills