3 signal not as shown in-store

Options
I recently signed up (in store) for a SIM only deal with 3 based on the coverage checker I was shown in store - this suggested good 4G coverage indoor and outdoor where I live and where I work. When I got home I was somewhat disappointed to find intermittent signal outdoors and not a single bar indoors (upstairs, downstairs, standing on my head in the loft - you get the idea). I went back to the 3 store from which I bought the phone where the nice lady said she'd sort this out for me, I returned the SIM to her and she said she would stop the contract at no cost. I was a little disappointed and surprised when I noticed that the DD was still being paid to 3. I called them up just now to be told that if I cancelled the contract (I thought I already had) then I was liable to pay the outstanding balance of the contract. I tried to explain what the staff in the store had said, but was told I needed to go back to the store to have this discussion; the discussion I had already had! The call centre bloke also mentioned that they have a signal team who might be able to update my phone to better receive signal - I've got a HTC 10, so not the newest phone on the market, but hardly an old phone.

Questions:

1. What are my rights based on the conversation I have already had in store and the fact that the information I was given in store that turned out not to be accurate (i.e. that of the quality of signal) was the reason I opted to proceed with the purchase.

2. Has anyone had to have their phone 'updated' by a service provider in order to be able to receive a signal? What does this involve?

Comments

• eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,575 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I think you need to go back and look for that nice lady who didn't (or couldn't) fulfill her promise. Her colleagues may or may not be helpful.

I've never heard of a phone being 'updated' by a signal team, if there's something they can do I can't imagine what it could be, but others may know.
    Perhaps they would try and talk you into a new phone.

It's always best to test network signal at your location with a free PAYG SIM before signing up to any contract, regardless of what a coverage map may indicate.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Three can put out a small software update to certain phones (not the OP's) to enable their In Touch Wifi calling or you can use their app off the store. That said I'm sure I saw on here somewhere that one of the carriers is dropping the app although I'm not sure if it was Three or not.

http://www.three.co.uk/discover/three_intouch
    this suggested good 4G coverage
    Never trust coverage checkers.

As said above, you've got to go back to the store and sort it if you don't want to try the WiFi calling (it is free to install it).
  • firefox1956
    firefox1956 Posts: 1,548 Forumite
    Options
    Three can put out a small software update to certain phones (not the OP's) to enable their In Touch Wifi calling or you can use their app off the store. That said I'm sure I saw on here somewhere that one of the carriers is dropping the app although I'm not sure if it was Three or not.

http://www.three.co.uk/discover/three_intouch

Never trust coverage checkers.

As said above, you've got to go back to the store and sort it if you don't want to try the WiFi calling (it is free to install it).

Three In Touch is still on the go.
    It is O2's TU GO app that has just been discontinued.
    Thats why I am now using Three In Touch
    HTH
  • Iluvorkney
    Options
    I had the same issue. I use the Three in Touch app to get round the calls issue, although you have to have wi fi to use it. I have contacted 3 three times. first time got £5 discount, second time £10 and third time got £2 off my monthly D.D. for the rest of the contract. I am disappointed about the 4g but am happy to stay with 3
  • Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    The OP may end up having to make do with the app anyway, since there is no cooling off period with a purchase made in store.

If Three don't play ball, the issue is going to be proving what they've said.

Always enter into contracts online or over the phone in future, as it gets you a minimum of 14 days to get out of the contract, even if it's just a case of finding a better deal elsewhere.

As per this article, you can try Ofcom if going back to Three and filing a complaint both fail: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/mobile-phone-cost-cutting?_ga=2.64683244.253305525.1511632009-342153113.1511632009#signal
  • Iluvorkney
    Options
    As per Kim_13's post, don't rely on Ofcoms coverage. My postcode tells me that on Three, I should get good coverage with the mobile signal, 3g and 4g. I can get none of them which is why I use the Three in touch app which with wifi means I can make and receive calls.
  • Inner_Zone
    Inner_Zone Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    Options
    I never understand why people don't physically check the signal before committing. All the major networks and a most MVNO's offer free PAYG SIM's. Get two or more test them and based on the results then commit.
  • Jon_01
    Jon_01 Posts: 5,870 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Coverage maps are a myth, it's not like anyone from any of the networks every goes to check them.

It's all theroy, even if there was good coverage in location X, something could be built between it and the mast and the signal would almost vanish.

As above, the ONLY way to check is to get a free patg sim and actually see.
  • Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    With regards to testing via PAYG sims, there's, only so much you can check for free (an indication of how many bars there are.) Beyond that, one would need to top up with £5 or £10 to check network performance.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Kim_13 wrote: »
    With regards to testing via PAYG sims, there's, only so much you can check for free (an indication of how many bars there are.) Beyond that, one would need to top up with £5 or £10 to check network performance.

Not entirely true, for the EE network you can use an Asda sim which has 100MB of data, 5 mins & 5 texts (from memory) on it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure