Balancing not just the budget

Options

Comments

• RosaBernicia
    RosaBernicia Posts: 4,877 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    p.s

T'wil soon be the weather where one will need to frequent Mse site to borrow moggies for winter Moggie Slippers... :)

I would ask how they doing ? but imagine they are snoozing in the warmest spot they can find.

Sam! :j Lovely to see you :T

Mogs are indeed snoozing, it seems to be pretty much all they do :rotfl:. I went in to work late this morning and they had already retired straight from their breakfast to the sofa. I suppose I can stop feeling guilty about leaving them alone all day since it appears to make naff all difference to their schedule!

There may be a bit of training required for slipper help though, the big one tends to sprawl himself down beside you like a draught excluder and the little one has an annoying habit of parking herself on your chest so you wake up with not just wondering what's wrong with your breathing but being tickled by her whiskers and being stared at which is all a bit disturbing :rotfl:

Rosa xx
    Save
    Debt free May 2016... DFW#2 in progress
    Campervan paid off summer '21... MFW progress tbc
  • RosaBernicia
    Options
    Confessing to further abuse of the credit card today... went past Ik3a on the way home from a meeting and decided to go in and buy a spare bed rather than mess about any longer. One very simple bedframe and basic mattress for £140 plus delivery, so not bad at all. (I haven't seen any bedframes I liked second hand and the frame alone was more than that new in most places.) Hopefully if I spend the weekend shifting things and putting it together then it will all be sorted from next week :)

And I resisted further temptation except for two lovely little simple bedside tables to go with it because they were only £9 each - the ugly veneer ones I kept from the old flat can go to charity.

Rosa xx
  • RosaBernicia
    Options
    Sunday shuffle is postponed to payday this coming week, because I have spent the whole weekend on house chores and it's time to do something fun instead.

I have got the spare room sorted and I'm so pleased with it. I finally folded up all the moving boxes that were in there and scaring me - it looked so much worse that it really was, as most of them were empty - and put them in the loft. I put the bed together yesterday and it is fab - beautifully simple, all that's needed. I'll give it a coat of white paint someday but it will do for now. I even put the bedside tables together late last night as I was on a roll and they look great in there too. Pleased to find that there is still room to use the big drying rack in there when guests are not present :rotfl:and I haven't sorted all the clothes that are currently in there, but that's another project. It also means I am sorting through the spare bedding which needed doing as it had got a bit out of control! I used to keep plenty of spares as in a previous shared house there were often random people arriving, but I really don't need as much as I have kept. That's now being sorted into underbed boxes and other places, and the really old stuff will go to recycling.

I have also shifted things around in the study, including more stuff into the loft, and plan to do more - I have an idea for how to make it work without the alterations I thought would be necessary. It means shifting out some of the furniture I brought with me, so I'm going to end up with the garage full of the old stuff, but that's fine - I will hang onto it for a while as a friend is moving soon, and if it isn't needed then it can go to charity.

Sooo after all that I don't feel like doing budgeting - not as I know it's already over - so that can wait a couple of days. I'm going to go and look at websites and things... I know this isn't what normal people call fun, but I'm excited about the new venture so it still seems fun to me. I suspect the novelty will wear off so am going to enjoy it while it lasts! :D

Rosa xx
  • doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,747 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    It's nice to have a room ready for other people. That's one of the things I miss as my house is not 'guest ready'

I am due to put together a new course for September in a subject I have never taught, seemed a good idea at the time. I wish I was as excited about this new venture as you are.

Have a good week.
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • RosaBernicia
    Options
    It's nice to have a room ready for other people. That's one of the things I miss as my house is not 'guest ready'

Totally agree DIA - I have really missed it while I was in the flat (people could stay in the living room there, but it wasn't a very good set up). I know it's a luxury but as my support network is scattered around the country it's really important for me. I feel so much better for having done it, as now people can stay in comfort - the rest of the house is just messy and unco-ordinated, and that will progress now too :)

Rosa xx
  • RosaBernicia
    Options
    Monthly shuffle now shuffled... scared myself at finding I was over budget for August by about £600 :eek:, then reviewed July and took out the things I had budgeted for but don't have to pay til September! I think I'm now about right but am about £300 over - that's what I expected for buying the spare bed now. I have a payment from some new venture work coming in August as well as pay so that will hopefully get things back on an even keel - I owe myself some of that money as have been using my usual income to cover set up work. I would say hopefully I could put a little aside, but the car needs a taillight fixing and my insurance has gone up by £100 so I think that would be too optimistic :/ . I do have money put aside but only enough to cover the insurance at this point; I suppose I could check other quotes but my current one has come out cheapest anyway the last couple of years and they have been very good to deal with, so am inclined to stick with them.

Oh, and I have a hen night and wedding present plus a trip away to cover in September. Very glad I went for the cheap option for sorting the spare room! Hoping for a calmer, cheaper few weeks ahead now.

I wanted to overpay the mortgage this month but perhaps I shouldn't when the budget looks like this... will think about it.

Rosa xx
  • doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,747 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I don't own a car but stress, time and good customer service are worth a few pounds extra in the grand scheme of things so maybe stick with your current insurer if there isn't much in it?
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    Options
    Monthly shuffle now shuffled... scared myself at finding I was over budget for August

A budget is meant as a guide, to mould future spending. It's not a scary bed-time story to be read in the dark...
    by about £600 :eek:, then reviewed July and took out the things I had budgeted for but don't have to pay til September! I think I'm now about right but am about £300 over - that's what I expected for buying the spare bed now. I have a payment from some new venture work coming in August as well as pay so that will hopefully get things back on an even keel - I owe myself some of that money as have been using my usual income to cover set up work.

Don't forget to keep some back for tax.
    I would say hopefully I could put a little aside, but the car needs a taillight fixing

Is that a blown bulb, or coloured brittle plastic hitting a lamp post? ;)
    and my insurance has gone up by £100 so I think that would be too optimistic :/ . I do have money put aside but only enough to cover the insurance at this point; I suppose I could check other quotes but my current one has come out cheapest anyway the last couple of years and they have been very good to deal with, so am inclined to stick with them.

*Always* check. They may be the best deal, but you'll never know unless you check. Also, look at the cashback sites.
    I wanted to overpay the mortgage this month but perhaps I shouldn't when the budget looks like this... will think about it.

Do the calculations, but I would advise no. If it's feeling tight, then now is not the best time to overpay. Afterall, what's the saving of a month or two interest on that overpayment compared to sparing yourself the feeling of dread when you realise you could really have done with that money?

Just don't buy tut with it... :naughty:;):p
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • RosaBernicia
    Options
    ZTD wrote: »
    Don't forget to keep some back for tax.

It's all being spent on setting up the new business, so I'm hoping things will even out... but yes, I must do that and must also call HMRC to get some idea of what I'm supposed to do. It all sounds terrifying to me as I'm used to clever people in a finance department sorting all this for me.

Is that a blown bulb, or coloured brittle plastic hitting a lamp post? ;)

Just a bulb as it turns out, but there was a bump to that corner...

*Always* check. They may be the best deal, but you'll never know unless you check. Also, look at the cashback sites.

Having checked the schedule, my actual insurance hasn't gone up much which surprised me given all the reporting of rises. It's the extras I added after the accident that cost more for the full year, as I got the good breakdown service and hire cover. I'll stick with them. Hurrah for protected NCD...

Do the calculations, but I would advise no. If it's feeling tight, then now is not the best time to overpay. Afterall, what's the saving of a month or two interest on that overpayment compared to sparing yourself the feeling of dread when you realise you could really have done with that money?

Just don't buy tut with it... :naughty:;):p

There is no tut buying going on round here at present. Too much house stuff required.

Decided to leave it til I have next paycheque and also contract cheque.

Rosa xx
    Save
  • RosaBernicia
    Options
    Well all is on track and OK, although August looks way over budget (by hundreds). However, this is because I have already noted the things that need paying for including the new business stuff and car insurance. It will be covered by my August usual paycheque and the extra contract cheque that is also due to arrive later in the month.

I am making progress on the house, which is just as well because it's started to really annoy me when things are not in sensible places - not sure why this took so long :rotfl:. Still lots to be done but getting there. Same applies to new business. I think this means plans are coming together... :)

Rosa xx
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family