You need a budget (YNAB) advice thread

Options

Comments

• SeduLOUs
    SeduLOUs Posts: 2,171 Forumite
    Options
    japmis wrote: »
    I've received a student loan rebate of £300 (YAY!), how do I enter this into YNAB? Income for May or June? Or do I just pay it straight out again to my CC to balance to zero? (I don't have my CCs on budget for YNAB).

It works either way so entirely up to you. I'd post the reality of the transactions personally, just because it makes it easier to follow what happened later on if you need to, and also makes reconciling tidier, as the clearing dates on the different accounts might be a few days apart.

Post as income to the receiving account (as income), and then post a transfer to the credit card account. As the CC is off budget, you will also need to budget the amount in the pre-YNAB debt category to reduce your available to budget back to zero.
  • japmis
    japmis Posts: 452 Forumite
    Options
    thanks Sed, I've put it as income for May and shoved it all under my emergency fund which was looking a bit sad after I had an emergency bill last month

:beer:
  • MrsSave
    MrsSave Posts: 1,817 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    After lots of hours of juggling things around/making sure ynab and my actual accounts balanced, and getting my head around ynab I think I am finally there and it all looks good! Looking forward to seeing how this will work from month to month. I was using a different budgeting app, but it got so confusing as I kept adding more and more categories and ended up with so many different current and savings accounts. I didn't know where I was, and hubby didn't have a clue and would panic at the thought of using a card because he didn't know which! Ynab looks like it will be much easier to understand, and I have now emptied a few accounts which I will close but it's clear how much each category has on ynab! Will be following this thread for advice! Fab thread :)
    Starting a new debt free journey
    Starting Debt: £5,250
    Current Debt: £4,995.50
    Amount Paid: £254.50 Percentage Paid: 4.84%
    Emergency Fund: £350
  • zcrat41
    zcrat41 Posts: 1,728 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm about to purchase I think - been very very impressed with the months trial. For the first time in ages have money left in our Joint Account!

Does anyone have one of those 10% off voucher things or do they get a bonus if I sign up via a link?
    Thanks
    ZC
  • SeduLOUs
    Options
    zcrat41 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm about to purchase I think - been very very impressed with the months trial. For the first time in ages have money left in our Joint Account!

Does anyone have one of those 10% off voucher things or do they get a bonus if I sign up via a link?
    Thanks
    ZC

I think all the referral stuff is US based.

Steam occasionally have it on sale but not at the moment (but even at £30 it's a bargain).

Last option is if you have any students in your household as you can get a yearly code for free... http://www.youneedabudget.com/blog/2014/ynab-is-now-free-for-college-students/
  • SeduLOUs
    edited 16 May 2015 at 11:31AM
    Options
    According to Oanda, $54 = £34, and that's without taking into account any currency exchange and international transaction fees applied by whichever card issuer you use.
  • zcrat41
    zcrat41 Posts: 1,728 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was nervous of Steam as I went to sign up and saw the word subscriber! It does seem cheaper though - is it something I can unsubscribe from straight away?

No students in the house unfortunately. Wish I'd discovered this when I was a student. Will be teaching my 2 year old to budget as soon as he's old enough!
  • Frogletina
    Frogletina Posts: 3,889 Forumite
    edited 15 May 2015 at 4:12PM
    Options
    SeduLOUs wrote: »
    Edit - the link you've given seems to lead to US purchasing site with a 'discounted' purchase price of $54 (10% off the usual US purchase price).

According to Oanda, $54 = £34, and that's without taking into account any currency exchange and international transaction fees applied by whichever card issuer you use.

I think most people have bought via the US site. I won my Ynab and was sent this link and it has been used by a couple of people to purchase Ynab.

Other people in this thread have posted referral codes like mine, I've not seen any messages saying that there has been a problem using them.

frogletina
    Not Rachmaninov
    But Nyman
    The heart asks for pleasure first
    SPC 8 £1567.31 SPC 9 £1014.64 SPC 10 # £1164.13 SPC 11 £1598.15 SPC 12 # £994.67 SPC 13 £962.54 SPC 14 £1154.79 SPC15 £715.38 SPC16 £1071.81⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐Declutter thread - ⭐⭐🏅
  • SeduLOUs
    Options
    Frogletina wrote: »
    I think most people have bought via the US site. I won my Ynab and was sent this link and it has been used by a couple of people to purchase Ynab.

Other people in this thread have posted referral codes like mine, I've not seen any messages saying that there has been a problem using them.

frogletina

Sorry, I'm not saying there's a problem with your link (or you posting it), I was just pointing out that after conversion from $ to £ even with the discount it would still end up cheaper at the moment to buy from steam for £29.99.
  • Frogletina
    Frogletina Posts: 3,889 Forumite
    Options
    SeduLOUs wrote: »
    Sorry, I'm not saying there's a problem with your link (or you posting it), I was just pointing out that after conversion from $ to £ even with the discount it would still end up cheaper at the moment to buy from steam for £29.99.

That's ok.

I had no knowledge of the Steam prices. I only knew it was often cheaper there when it was on sale.

frogletina
    Not Rachmaninov
    But Nyman
    The heart asks for pleasure first
    SPC 8 £1567.31 SPC 9 £1014.64 SPC 10 # £1164.13 SPC 11 £1598.15 SPC 12 # £994.67 SPC 13 £962.54 SPC 14 £1154.79 SPC15 £715.38 SPC16 £1071.81⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐Declutter thread - ⭐⭐🏅
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure